Lord of the Rings Online Discussion

Yeah, losing the pocket slot stinks, but oh well. I love running disabled especially if I have trouble finding people to do the fellowship quests with, instead of overleveling it and forgetting about it I can stay at that level until I find the people to help. It's a game changer.

Im currently running around the barrow downs, clearing out some of the smaller tombs/barrows things. Thought id cruise into some of the biggers instences there and it would scale to me solo, like d&d online. Thats not the case, and i barely got outta there alive!

Barrow Downs is a lot of fun, I really like that place. Pretty creepy going through those parts when your under leveled. One wrong move and you're surrounded by wights. The Old Forest is a great setting too. I just love those creepy areas, they're executed so well in this game. Then again, the nice areas are executed well also.

I'm actually heading back to the Old Forest at level 41 to complete the flowers deed there. Well worth it if you use the virtue Idealism.

They have a cave troll...
ScreenShot00030_zps5880a72f.jpg

Hmm. I don't know if you guys noticed this, but it seems like most people just want to grind skirmishes, raids and instances for as much XP as possible, level up as quickly as possible and just rush on with everything. It makes finding people who want to team up with you for awhile a bit difficult if you are doing anything else than a large skirmish or instance.

I don't mind doing those things too, but I personally like to experience the quests in the game. That's where the majority of my fun is had, so naturally I would like to find like-minded people like me to do some various questing with. Again, this proves a bit difficult at times. Thankfully with the XP disabler, I have all the time in the world to wait.

However, today I did manage to finish a nice fellowship quest with a Dwarven fellow of level 52. We finally plowed through the giant camp in the Trollshaws and bagged ourselves a Giant Headsmasher. It was a nice little 30 minute run and I made a friend in the process.

So yeah, the game rocks, just wish more people took their time to smell the roses a bit. Sadly, if it's not a large group instance, most people simply aren't interested.

Couldn't agree more. Don't join a kin or it generally gets worse in that respect. This is why Calindorr is unaffiiated dispite multiple invites. I have other toons such as my 38 champ and 56 hunter and will happily quest slowly with you. Plenty of like minded folks out there is suspect just ask for a duo of LFF. Off to see Evil Dead now lol :).

I'm surprised you aren't in a kin. I am in one, and there's definitely some nice, friendly people in it, but even when many members are on, it's still a bit difficult to get anyone to quest with you. But as soon as someone mentions an instance, everyone is game for that. Gets a bit frustrating really.

I did find a few cool people, both in the kin and outside the kin, who told me they would be happy to quest with me when I need them. So that's pretty cool. The level 52 dwarf I found using the LFF output chat in Rivendell. It does give me some hope that there are others like that out there.

Thanks for your offer as well. Good to know I'm not the only person who thinks like this out there! I'm sure we'll do some questing together soon. Although with the XP Disabler it may be awhile before I reach Moria...

I've been in a kin with other toons. A constant barrage of Tells for Raids. At least that was my experience. Staying unnafilliated I usually you see the pug messages on the regional channel for that stuff or I get an occasional tell from a friend to raid. I much prefer to have it that way.

I didn't get a lot of tells for raids, but the group chat generally consists of people putting together raids. Usually it's quiet when you ask if anyone wants to do some quests with you, then gets loud when someone mentions a raid, lol.

The Trollshaws stay surprising me. I was traveling along the road and a quest giver from earlier had a new quest for me. Very surprising. I checked it out and she told me to visit Echad Candelleth for some level 40 quests. I'm there now and there's tons more to do here. Awesome! Whoever said this zone is one of the worst is outta their mind. It's a little lean on solo content, but the overall content is done extremely well, and it's a very well designed zone. It is also dangerous, yet beautiful. Love this place.

But yeah, surprised that there is more level 40-ish stuff to do here. I thought I exhausted it all, but turns out there's more. Also saw a bunch of quests in Rivendell that are higher than my current level so I can't do them yet. Between here and the Misty Mountains I should be set until level 50. Maybe a little Eregion thrown in at the end before I start Moria. Fun stuff!

Just completed a sweet 3 piece set in Echad Candelleth. First set I've completed in the game. Very cool to see those rewards just for questing there.

Does Moria have cool Dwarven furniture rewards? Lol. I really want to decorate my house a bit with some Dwarven furniture, if possible.

Furniture eh :) I honestly don't know! I have lots of trophies for the taxidermist though. That won't help you sit on anything however :)

I would like to get some trophies as well, just haven't gotten that far I guess.

My house is pretty barren except for a few Elven fixtures but i would like Dwarven furniture to fill it out, if possible. Not a huge deal or anything but it would be cool to have a house filled with Elven and Dwarven stuff. Yes, I'm a nerd, lol :).

Left Moria last night. Feeling quite pale. Boy that place is enormous and it feels like its 3 or 4 regions worth of content. I've never been inside Lothlorien so this should be interesting. Looking forward to Mirkwood!

kin? instance? raid? set? LFF?
I thought about trying this, just to walk around Middle Earth - but seeing that I don't even understand the MMO lingo, maybe I should forget about it...

Kin is your clan if you choose to join one. Helps for coordinating larger group activities.
LFF is "looking for fellowship" chat channel. You simply post on it if you want to team up with someone.
An instance is just a solo or group specific area instance where you won't see any players not in your group. Some of the big group content like the Grand Stair in Moria allows you to take your fellowship through it daily to get Moria Medalions. Do it enough and you can trade it for armor. Lotro has an "instance finder" window that allows you to transport yourself and/or your whole fellowship to the instance from the main gameworld.
A raid is just a big group instance.

You get used to it quickly and for sure you don't see this stuff early on. The LFF channel you might use early, that's about it.

Try it! :)

Just to reiterate you can solo the game completely and ignore raids, skirmishes, kins and even fellowships. Just running around the world you will on occasion end up alongside someone doing the same quest and you'll inevitably be invited to join a fellowship (screen pops up accept/deny). Your call :)

Thanks Todd, for the explanation. Somehow MMOs still scare me (and not just because of the jargon), but I'll proably at least give it a try sometime. Hearing you guys talk about visiting all these great places from the books makes me want to jump right in.

Thanks Todd, for the explanation. Somehow MMOs still scare me (and not just because of the jargon), but I'll proably at least give it a try sometime. Hearing you guys talk about visiting all these great places from the books makes me want to jump right in.

Seriously worth a try, the areas really are beautiful and very reminiscent of the books. The Shire is stunning, for instance. I even enjoyed mail and pie delivery :).

You can play it pretty much like a single player game if that's your style (especially now that you can do all the story quests solo) and other players then just give the game extra life - being alone together.

Hunter and Champion are easy to play and fun solo, with a Captain you get an NPC companion, Warden is also great solo, but harder to play since you have to remember all the gambit combos (and u need to buy Moria I think).

Maybe I'm due for another bash myself soon.

Don't forget Guardian. Active shield skills are pretty fun. You won't kill as fast as other classes but you are usually the last man standing when others start dying :)

Back
Top Bottom