Bound By Flame - Will be 30 Hours Long

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Bound By Flame is getting closer to release, and one eager player asked Spiders on Facebook about the games play length. Their response 30 hours long.
Question

I would like a direct answer please: (1) Game length for average play through? (2) PC 'Recommended' specs (3) Pre-release reviews for PC version.

Answer

1- You can count at least 30 hours if you complete most of the side quests.
2- Please visit the tech support topic on the forum .
3- The game will be released May 9th so there are no reviews out yet.
More information.

Hum... 30 hours including sidequests is quite short and a little disappointing. Iirc I've read about 50 hours elsewhere... just can't remember where exactly.

Hum… 30 hours including sidequests is quite short and a little disappointing. Iirc I've read about 50 hours elsewhere… just can't remember where exactly.

Doesn´t really concern me. I don´t think I have ever read about an RPG with 30-40 hours of estimated "gametime", that hasn´t taken *me* 50-70 hours to complete.

I usually take quite a lot of time exploring every "nook & cranny" and I also spend a lot of time messing around with character-stats, equipment & crafting, levelling choices and so on. Fortunatly, that style of gaming is never factored into these estimates. ;)

Still, while I liked "Mars: War Logs", I do need to read up on this game a bit more before I decide about an early purchase.

Hum… 30 hours including sidequests is quite short and a little disappointing. Iirc I've read about 50 hours elsewhere… just can't remember where exactly.
Mass Effect was around the same length. 20-30 hours is pretty standard for RPGs.

Mass Effect was around the same length. 20-30 hours is pretty standard for RPGs.

Let's nuance this a bit: 20-30 hours do seem to be standard for relatively linear (or semi-linear) narrative- and cutscene-heavy action RPG's like Jade Empire, the ME games, Witcher II, Of Orcs and Men and apparently Bound by Flame as well.
For big, massive open world RPG's like the Elder Scrolls games, Two Worlds II or a large, semi-open isometric game like Original Sin (or the old Baldur's Gate games) it's short. You exchange duration for a 'tight' story and lots of (hopefully spectacular) action.

You've forgot Gothic 3 hours. (Almost) no endless respawns, no "radiant" crap quests yet I've spent more time on that game than on Skyrim.

But if you were analyzing everything, more grinding = more hours.
And I don't want that.

I've preordered the game a few days ago and am not complaining on the estimated length. Just as Feist I like to turn every stone possible and those 30 hours will grow more on my playthrough most definetly.

30 hours is fine. I usually lose focus when games last more than 40 to tell you the truth. My ideal range is 30-40.

It depends on the nature of the gameplay and so forth.

Games like Skyrim MUST have content for at least 60-70 hours - though it can be optional. Games like Mass Effect can work fine with 20-30 hours, though I personally got ~45 hours out of one playthrough.

For instance, the first Risen was too short - but Risen 2 had a pretty appropriate length.

It depends on the nature of the gameplay and so forth.

Games like Skyrim MUST have content for at least 60-70 hours - though it can be optional. Games like Mass Effect can work fine with 20-30 hours, though I personally got ~45 hours out of one playthrough.

For instance, the first Risen was too short - but Risen 2 had a pretty appropriate length.
Skyrims story content is probably only 15-20 hours. The rest is just dicking around until you get tired of doing the same thing over and over.

Skyrims story content is probably only 15-20 hours. The rest is just dicking around until you get tired of doing the same thing over and over.

You're talking about the main quest content as if that was the only kind of interesting content in the game.

That's not an opinion I can agree with.

Personally, I had much more fun with the content you didn't experience in a linear fashion, and in particular the massive amount of dungeons that almost all had little separate stories and moments to experience.

For the linear quests, I prefer Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests. The main story wasn't all that great, in my opinion.

But yes, it's a game that gets boring when you tire of playing it. Shocking :)

If you're talking about spoken dialogue - there's probably not even 15 hours, though I don't know.

But confusing the density of spoken dialogue with the amount of fun you're having is a big mistake. Unless, of course, you think listening to 15 hours of dialogue in a row is more entertaining than breaking it up with actual gameplay.

That would make you a strange person.

Question

I would like a direct answer please: (3) Pre-release reviews for PC version.

3- The game will be released May 9th so there are no reviews out yet.

Not true. The new GameStar mag in Germany had a full review (71 out of 100) in their current issue.

You're talking about the main quest content as if that was the only kind of interesting content in the game.

That's not an opinion I can agree with.

Personally, I had much more fun with the content you didn't experience in a linear fashion, and in particular the massive amount of dungeons that almost all had little separate stories and moments to experience.

For the linear quests, I prefer Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests. The main story wasn't all that great, in my opinion.

But yes, it's a game that gets boring when you tire of playing it. Shocking :)

If you're talking about spoken dialogue - there's probably not even 15 hours, though I don't know.

But confusing the density of spoken dialogue with the amount of fun you're having is a big mistake. Unless, of course, you think listening to 15 hours of dialogue in a row is more entertaining than breaking it up with actual gameplay.

That would make you a strange person.
Pretty sure people only play skyrim to beat it to the sex mods after finishing the story.

If they're through beating it to the majesty of your contribution here, sure.
Fanboys…

You may be autistic enough to play for 50+ hours doing the same thing over and over but that does not mean it has 50+ hours of content. Watching a 2 hour movie 5 times does not make it a 10 hour movie.

Fanboys…

You may be autistic enough to play for 50+ hours doing the same thing over and over but that does not mean it has 50+ hours of content.

Let me guess, you're not a fan of sitting on that pointy spike day after day - and Skyrim and people who like it have been arbitrarily selected as targets for your rant of the day?

I get how such discomfort can provoke meaningless whining with no rational support - but maybe just standing up and going to a doctor might alleviate the pain, and when you're able to use your eyes and think a bit without that thing in your ass, you might be able to offer something of genuine value?

Just a thought.

Just FYI - you're on ignore until you get rid of that spike :)

Remember that its 25-30 hours for one playthrough.

Mars: War Logs was about 15 hours for one playthrough, but you will not see all the different game paths, choice driven quests/side quests and had the opportunity to try all different skill paths. You will need at least another playthrough for these things, which are not cosmetic differences.

This means that Bound by Flame would be 50 - 60 hours for me after a couple of playthroughs to see everything.

Oh boy, if he thinks DArt is a fanboy of Skyrim, I wonder what he'd think of me and wolfgrimdark :)

OF course, I only play it for the lapdances from Vilja.

Oh boy, if he thinks DArt is a fanboy of Skyrim, I wonder what he'd think of me and wolfgrimdark :)
I really don't see how people can put more than 30 hours in to skyrim. I mean by that time you have done all the content. Mods don't really count as that was not content put there by the developers.

Back
Top Bottom