Oxymoronic Game Moments-Had Any?

Yes, and after you succeed, if you're really lucky, you might be rewarded with a nice sword that's about half as good as the one you needed to defeat the final boss!! :)

Y'know, I don't want to bring up Oblivion here, but while playing the Knights of the Nine modules, I found it hard to bother looting anybody because it is all crap that they were carrying.

So for me the irony (ok, not an oxymoron) is that while I am *always* a completist and loot everyone and everything in RPG's, I found myself having to repeatedly double back because of missing a key or component that I should have looted ...

Yes, well--all you need is a rusty dagger to kill rats and bugs, which is the integral first step in saving civilization from the Great Unknown Evil. Not being franked by The Man is probably a touch of realism--or a foreshadowing of the corporate consciousness: "We've had to phase out our Champion of the Realm position and combine the Service Tech II and Maintenance Lead positions; your contract states 10 gp per rat, plus an initial sign on bonus of 120 shares of stock, payable upon saving the world."

It usually bothers me when I'm saving the world from the darkest of evils and people still treat me like a regular customer. Those jerks should be offering to fix my armor for free! Also, why is it that most games have a fairly low amount of people in cities yet, there can be countless monsters?

Thats something which i never understood.

A very typical rpg discussion with a merchant whom you saved from a certain death...

"wow man thanks a million for saving our village from those evil monsters! We all are in a great debt to you"

"So would you like to see some of my trades?"

I can't remeber that i got even once a full suit of armor for free. And if I happen to be out of money nobody gives a damn. I still have to pay for those potions, weapons, food and armor like everybody else!

For once show us some respect :) 100 gold coins for a heroic deed isn't enough. Like when i slew the dragons in g2. Nobody in khorinis gave a damn.

The reason there's so few people and so many monsters:- the monsters ate the people!! :)

As I was playing through Dungeon Siege (just had to try it out :D ), I was thinking :

One law hat is as solid as sstone, iron and eternity altogether is this :

Evil sorcerers, withches, mages and similar evil creatures just need gold to summon or call their minions (or even to create them).

This is the only logical reason I can think of why monsters, creatures & critters of all evil type, no matter what shape, height or smallness, are dropping gold,. when defeated.

So - an evil sorcerer does have his own economy : His minions want to be payed too : With gold. Nothing else.

And Gold is seemingly even used when *creating* minions ! (Demons, Elementars etc. . )

*sings* "Gold makes the evil world go round ..."

Not even an evil creature from hell does free labour :)

They're undoubtedly union--lawful evil would be I think;)

gah

you never read the Secret of Nimh? Where do you think the phrase "ohhhh..Shinies" came from? Small rodents and animals are very much attracted to shiny things like gold and +2 crossbows. Its why they are called pack rats. If they are giant packrats they're attracted to even bigger shinies, like knights in full armor.

--

What was Raven ranting about in Ultima 9? She freaked out that her father was dead or confesses her love for Avatar ( an "avatar" that can't seem to wait till marriage :p ) then belts out, "Where do you wanna go now?"

Oxymoron = Class-specific items and traits.
I cannot recall how many games I've played where I decide to play as a "Warrior" only to chance across a bow. Naturally, this long-distance armament would come in handy, right? Of course not, because my Warrior, for all his finess with blades, is incapable of wielding a bow.
I can understand something like that occurring with magic (hey, if you lack the training for thaumaturgy, don't count on practicing any), but we're talking about a bow here; you nock an arrow, grab the tip, pull back, and let go. He can pull off a blitz-of-the-infernal-demon-fury-slash attack, but he can't use anything unless it is long and pointed.
This, of course, applies to all class-specific traits and items. Why can't my character sneak? Or wear a robe?

That's why some programmers *strictly* stick to class systems - whereas others don't have classes at all ( I always wonder when I read at the Larian boards questions like "which class is the best", although they did a classless system).

This is, in fact, a matter of definition of the term "class".

Yeah, I can do wonders with my sword, but dagger, hammer, axe, I can't even hit the side of a barn door!! :)

Just written by me on the "mostmemorable dungeon list" :

But the "sewer syndrome" leads me to a weird thing ...

The only logically looking swer I know of appeared in Return to Krondor (sadly I never played the first game). It really looked as if someone had used actual logic in building it.

The worst example was to be found in Summoner : There are openings of *huge* tubes in the ceilings of various rooms within the sewers of the town, so huge that they must've been at least 2 metres in diameter.

So, the scary thing about these openings (and the accompanied holes beneath them) is the amount of water floweing through them. I mean, there is a really *huge* waterfall with thousands of litres of water falling down meanwhile the town itself is so small that it simply CANNOT produce these masses of water !

The only explanation would be the water surrounding the palace, and the river. But this just looked absurd.

So, what I mean to say is, that most sewers are looking as if they are built for incoming adventurers, NOT for letting dirty water out of the city !

Back
Top Bottom