Loki - Preview @ ActionTrip

Dhruin

SasqWatch
ActionTrip has a preview of Cyanide's Loki, which includes an inserted note from the editor saying "On paper, this game sounds so incredibly generic, it's not even funny", although they acknowledge it may all be in the execution. Here's a clip on classes:
Each character embodies unique folklore, fighting styles and abilities. The Norse fighter, for instance, represents a near equivalent of a warrior class in standard fantasy lore. Relying on pure strength and his versatility in close combat, he's quite a resilient and capable combatant. He's certainly the right choice if you prefer muscle over brainpower. Going for the Greek character means you've chosen a skilled female archer, adept at setting deadly traps for unwary foes. She was also instructed by the warrior Achilles, who sends her on quests to help the Greek Pantheon. We were told that the Egyptian character is closely tied to the main plot - a lot more than other characters. His chief abilities are spells and magic. Finally, the Aztec shaman (another female character) strives to save her own people from extinction and mostly relies on skills linked to nature.
More information.

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.actiontrip.com/previews/loki.phtml

Actually, I don't think the game sounds as generic as all that...but then I'm prejudiced toward this genre. They've left all the publicity til the last minute if it's indeed coming out next month as they say.

Reminds me of Titan Quest, I'll keep my eye on this one.

A great quote from the article:
"Loki also features a solid variety of foes such as skeletons, giant spiders, centaurs, mummies, harpies, wild animals, different types of soldiers, etc. In time, however, players must face up to likes of huge bosses, which are a lot deadlier than the random opponents you meet along the way. (The revolution in action RPG gaming is at hand! -Capt. Sarcasm)"

Captain Sarcasm has a point, hehe.

True, Maylander. There's nothing more generic than a skelly, unless it's a zombie.:)

Maybe I'm just old or something but I like my generic fantasy trappings. More please!

This bit strikes me as somewhat odd,

"No matter which one of these characters you choose, they can all worship and follow the ways of one of the three existing gods."

You'd think there'd be more variety in the choice of deity in a game that covers four separate mythologies. I don't know much about Aztec religion, but the other three certainly had large enough pantheons.
There could be story based reasons of course, but it just seems weird to me.

Very nice! Pretty heavy lean on Titan Quest, but that's fine with me. I like the artwork--very clean and atmospheric.

Back
Top Bottom