XCOM: Enemy Within - New Trailer & Previews

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
2K Games and Firaxis have released a new "War Machines" trailer for XCOM: Enemy Within.

The second part of the newsbit deals with two previews for the game.

Twinfinite

We LOVED the original XCOM Enemy Unknown, so when I found out that the expansion, XCOM Enemy Within, was going to be at PAX, I knew I had to drop by their booth. I had high hopes, and sure enough the hands-off demo I saw made my trip worth it. The demo took place on a new map location, on top of a hydroelectric dam, and immediately looked better than any map in the original game. It started with two rookie XCOM operatives getting off the Skyranger and dying within seconds, as their ilk is wont to do.
Escapist Magazine

I've never been shy about my love of XCOM, even if The Bureau left a bit to be desired. It should come as no surprise that I was ecstatic when I found out I'd be getting hands on with Enemy Within, the upcoming standalone expansion for 2012's strategy masterpiece, Enemy Unknown. While I wasn't quite convinced that it would be able to improve such a stellar gameplay experience, everything I saw makes me less cynical about the prospect, and more hopeful that it will be exactly what every XCOM fan never knew they wanted
More information.

Last edited:
It's hard to take them seriously when they obviously loved XCOM:EU. I liked the game too, but to many of the choices they've made in the "reboot" of the series are not what I would have wanted. I hope the expansion can remedy some of my problems (like the near total linearity), but I want to read a preview or review by someone who didn't "love" XCOM before I make up my mind on if I should give Firaxis som more money… (especially considering the pricetag of the expansion).

I think the enemy within was whoever forced jake solomon to change it from the original 1 to 1 clone of xcom he did to the bastardized version that got released. At least JS gets to play a real X-COM I guess.

You mean it was originally intended to be closer to the originals? A shame it ended up so streamlined. Still a decent game though, just not compared to (with rose-tinted glasses maybe…) the original.

You mean it was originally intended to be closer to the originals? A shame it ended up so streamlined. Still a decent game though, just not compared to (with rose-tinted glasses maybe…) the original.

Not only that but he actually made the prototype that way. I can remember him stating that in the very first announcements. Jake Solomon is my hero for doing that, unfortunately he doesn't call the shots, though.

My wan but persistent hope is they will eventually release some kind of "gold edition" and include a true X-Com sequel using his old prototype's code but that probably won't happen.

Any word if this will be released as an add-on or do you have to purchase the entire game again?

Any word if this will be released as an add-on or do you have to purchase the entire game again?

According to XCOM Wiki…

XCOM: Enemy Within will be available as a download for PCs and MACs for $29.99 but will be released in disc format for consoles as XCOM: Enemy Within – Commander Edition, a standalone expanded experience that includes all XCOM: Enemy Unknown content plus the Elite Soldier and Slingshot add-ons, for $39.99.

http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/XCOM:_Enemy_Within

It sounds like the add-on content alone is $30 which seems overpriced to me. I'm not sure how reliable that information is though.

Back
Top Bottom