Coronavirus (No Politics)

Just imagine what would happen if a nice big solar wind would hit the earth now and fry all electronics as it did in 1859. :p

italy is getting raped and whole europe is following
dire times ahead

Todays statistics from south korea which is important to keep in mind since they have a good handle in the situation. I think demographic and social differences play an important part in the grim reports from central europe.

Attachments

• 8D2B74C3-8C4F-4836-999E-FC2C2885D00A.jpg
    8D2B74C3-8C4F-4836-999E-FC2C2885D00A.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 09E39249-62FB-42B2-9811-337ED6DE5A72.jpg
    09E39249-62FB-42B2-9811-337ED6DE5A72.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 129
Popped out to the store today because I was almost out of diet peps… <ahem> some essentials. Pastas, particularly spaghetti, and ground meat are just about gone. Toilet paper is gone. Bread is taking a hit but is still there. Plenty of fresh fruits, chips, and soft drinks. Some frozen pizza brands missing but the good ones are all still there.

Shutting things down seems mighty tricky. People have to eat so you need the grocery stores, the trucks to deliver to them, the electric company to power them, the farmers/ranchers, and so on. All their equipment needs maintenance which means somebody has to be making the parts and delivering those. Seems like you'll have over half the economy involved by the time you chase down all the pieces needed to keep the necessities going.

Last edited:
Here is a decent site for getting better stats ( https://covidly.com ). Found the WHO SitRep unreliable especially for my country over the past week or so.

Well my fellow Californians can join me in our isolation bubbles as the whole state is shutting down tonight. Well see how well its maintained without Capital Punishment threat that China put on the table.

Anyway, got scarier for me yesterday as I got notice from my fathers retirement community that other residents are being tested and they are quarantining everyone. Still no feedback on the test results but hoping its just precautionary and not actually spreading there. More so that the feedback from Iceland that half the positive cases were completely asymptomatic which makes sense to me given how its spreading so effectively.

Just imagine what would happen if a nice big solar wind would hit the earth now and fry all electronics as it did in 1859. :p

Yeah, or the impending change of Earth's magnetic poles,. It's overdue, in terms of Geology (in Geology, people think in thousands of years, if not ten to hundred thousands of years).

Not sure how accurate but here's an interesting list on Corona-

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7830.0.html

1. COVID-19 can absolutely cause nasal congestion, including a runny or stuffy nose (e.g., https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554776/). In fact, nasal congestion is a common symptom in mild cases, which are most common, and typically present as upper respiratory illness.

2. If you have a dry cough and fever, the best idea is to stay isolated from any other people not to spread it, until you recover – that’s when you gonna need all that food and toilet paper you stocked. After you fully recover, it's good to stay isolated for another week to make sure that you won't infect others.

3. Paracetamol helps to reduce the symptoms of the infection. Most of traditional anti-cold/flu means do not work, you can only rely on your immune system.

4. Seeing a doctor if you got these symptoms is a bad idea because you might infect others (and the medical personnel) and the doctors are already overloaded to the extreme - unless you start having difficulties with breathing. But the artificial lungs ventilation machines will be extremely scarce, so the chances to get timely treatment vs. lungs obstruction are very low. RIP.

5. People 60 y.o. and older (the highest risks group) should better stay completely isolated (also from their relatives), to prevent their infection. The absolute majority of people under 60 will safely overcome the infection. Women are noticeably less likely to get infected and get the life-threatening complications.

6. In the course of the epidemic, 60-80% of the population will probably get infected. The later that happens the better, as the virus naturally evolves to become less harmful to humans (since its less harmful mutations get spread more effectively).

7. One person may catch the virus several times in a series.

8. Most mask types will not save you from being infected, but will reduce the risks to infect others if you’ve caught the virus. An unmasked sneezing/coughing infected individual creates a ~5 meter wide sphere of tiny infected droplets that stays suspended and drifting in the air for > 10 feet for many hours. The virus can also invade the organism through eyes.

9. The virus survives and stays active for 2-3 days on metal, plastic, stone, wood, rubber, glass, paper, and other surfaces. It can be destroyed by direct sun ultraviolet or spirit. So also stock vodka for your quarantine time.

10. The virus and its spread are not significantly affected by environment temperature, it stays active in a wide temperature range around 0 and 35 Celsius.

11. The virus does not infect pets and they are not active carriers of it. Unless you have a bat, a pangolin, or a Chinese lizard.

12. The virus is considerably less contagious and harmful to children and teenagers, but they also do get infected and spread it. Frequently they have unusual symptoms, such as nausea and diarrhea. They recover much faster.

13. Most infection cases occur within a family circle, among relatives and close friends.

14. The virus is more likely to infect people taking blood pressure lowering medicines.

15. The SARS-Cov-2 vaccines are already passing trials on humans, but it’s going to take at least 3-6 months more till they become really available.

16. The mass epidemic and the lockdowns in Europe will last until June 2020 or rather longer.

So...who's got it?

I'm pretty sure I do, in its mild sniffles-with-dry-cough mode. I can't be sure, since tests aren't easily available in the USA (because, you know, we're a decadent, barely functioning husk of a nation), and there's no real reason for me to visit a doctor anyway. And I'm lucky that I can work from home for the duration if I need to. But it's pretty weird to probably Have the Plague.

The real worry is that I can't go see my mom, so she is driving her own 84-year-old self to the grocery store and back.

Fun times!

Ouh...yeah...now it's 'Muricas turn...and its not going to be pretty. But...well..not going into politics again. As expected the numbers are increasing in the US faster than anywhere else. Let's just hope it doesn't kill (and ruin) too many people's lifes.
In Italy their army had to help out bringing all the dead people away. Situation in Germany and France is still ok so far.
As people are staying stupid, restrictions in Germany are increasing further and further but as far as I understand the German hospitals didn't reach their capacity yet. Same for French hospitals (except of the northeast region).
I am still stocked up for another week or two before I need to go outside for shopping again. So all cool so far.

The number of confirmed cases in the U.S is still quite small compared to the harder hit European countries. Approx 60 cases per Million according to the latest updates.

By comparison, France has 193 and Germany 237 per Million. Spain and Italy are much, much worse of course.

It'll get a lot worse in the U.S. before it peaks though no doubt.

The number of confirmed cases in the U.S is still quite small compared to the harder hit European countries.

Sure.

And the number of tests?

According to my doctor a few years ago, I have a chronic Sinusitis. Because of this, I couldn't even tell if I've got another illness.

When I have the flu, however, I am able to tell it : Much more coughing & moch more running noses.

I do not wish to learn what's the difference between that and the Corona virus.

I'm pretty sure I do, in its mild sniffles-with-dry-cough mode.
I just had the same and pretty sure it was the common flu. Kept inside until I recovered. Its recommended even with mild snuffs, which certain members of our goverment ignored too, resulting in several infections.

First you need to check for fever. Spring is springing so allergies are going to abound, too. Even then, it's very nearly impossible to tell a mild COVID-19 from a mild flu. If it were easy, we wouldn't have all these testing issues.

Sooo… not to be completely trivial but I wonder how everyone's hair is going to look in another couple of months. I might need to use a short USB cable to tie my hair back come May.

To make its citizens more aware of the seriousness of the situation, the hospital San Marco de Zingonia in Italian Bergamo has released footage of patients being treated.
For the same reason this footage was released in Spanish newspaper El Pais, not exactly an unimportant newspaper, with the warning it could be shocking to some viewers.

If that one does not load:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=Dci5heMReLI&feature=emb_logo

Sky News (UK) was invited in a different hospital, see their footage at their site:
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...an-hospital-on-the-brink-of-collapse-11961130

Science News reports about a German study:
Coronavirus is most contagious before and during the first week of symptoms
[…]
Patients produced thousands to millions of viruses in their noses and throats, about 1,000 times as much virus as produced in SARS patients, Clemens Wendtner, director of infectious disease and tropical medicine at Munich Clinic Schwabing, a teaching hospital, and his colleagues found. That heavy load of viruses may help explain why the new coronavirus is so infectious.
[…]
“Some of it is discouraging news because when you are mildly [ill] or just [getting] sick, you’re putting out a whole lot of virus, which explains why we’re seeing so much transmission within our communities,” says Khan, was not involved in the study.
[…]
Both Patient 1 and his Shanghai colleague transmitted the virus before developing symptoms, the first documented cases of asymptomatic spread.

As health officials tested other employees of the company, they found the study participants and placed them in isolation at the Munich clinic. In one case, Patient 1 sneezed during a meeting with one person, Wendtner says. “That was enough for infection.” In other cases, “they had simple business meetings, sitting together for 60 minutes, 90 minutes [at a table or] in front of a computer, with no physical contact — just one handshake, that’s all,” Wendtner says. “The infectivity is quite high.”

Most had coughs, but only two developed a fever, the most common symptom reported in other studies. Most symptoms were mild and one person never developed any at all. One patient developed severe pneumonia.

Two of the nine had runny noses, previously reported as a rare symptom of COVID-19. Another four had stuffy noses and reported that they couldn’t smell or taste anything. “In all of our patients, it cleared up, but it was a little bit annoying for two weeks or so,”
Source:
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-most-contagious-before-during-first-week-symptoms

Viral family tree (genealogy):
https://nextstrain.org/ncov
Don’t forget to play the video on that page.
Background information about it can be found here:
https://nextstrain.org/narratives/ncov/sit-rep/en/2020-03-20?n=1

The situation in the Netherlands is deteriorating. Half of the ICU patients are younger than fifty btw. Youngest is 16.
They tend to be there for 3 weeks. When released many of them suffer permanent damage (lungs) and need long period of recovery (loss of muscle tissue).
Atm: 136 people died, all above 63.

I myself have had health problems for nearly two weeks now. Each time I think I’m improving next day I’m worse.
No fever. Sore throat, extremely fatigued (muscle weakness), headache, had a runny nose, some coughs and sneezes in the beginning, some stabbing pains in the chest, nausea, weird feeling in the intestines and stomach.
Today feeling better again than yesterday, hopefully tomorrow will be the day my strength returns. Fingers crossed.
Btw you only get tested when having to be admitted to hospital - there is a lack of tests available.

Keep your distance everybody. Best wishes to you and your loved ones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom