Ultima Online - New Legacy

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
MMORPG reports that Ultima Online celebrates the 23rd anniversary by announcing Ultima Online New Legacy:

Ultima Celebrates 23rd Anniversary By Announcing Ultima Online New Legacy

Announced during a livestream today, Ultima Online: New Legacy, as well as released a shiny new trailer to celebrate the announcement. The MMO is meant to be a brand new shard, forgoing the current trend of bringing cassic MMOs as they existing at launch to life again in a modern world.

"We asked a simple question: 'What is your Britannian Legacy?,"' UO designer Greg Havlusch explained during a celebration livestream today. "And trhe response was overwhelming. And what it showed us was, just like us, people who have had a chance to experience Ultima Online have an incredible connection to it: the nostalgia, the friendships [...] You just can't find that anymore. And started thinking and talking about how we can recreate that. And that's where this idea of Ultima Online: New Legacy came from, that is our ultimate goal: to recreate that nostalgia you once felt when you played UO, without having to be bogged down and face the barriers of entry that you would otherwise face trying to get into a gameworld that is 23 years old."

Ultima Online: New Legacy is leaning into creating a place for new players to jump into the MMO, as well as capture the nostalgia returning veterans can feel about jumping back into the world. New Legacy is the first new shard the team has released in 15 years, and will have an all new ruleset aimed at making the experience more intuitive, including changes to skill and gear progression, resource gathering, crafting and more. The New Legacy shard will be available to free-to-play accounts, though no official date for its release has been given just yet.

[...]
Thanks Lucky Day!

More information.

I honestly had no idea this game was still going on. I had an asshole boss back in the 90's that started to play this and he always liked to brag about stories on how he would "gank noobs" and it sounded like something I wanted to avoid. (PvP and attitudes like that in general.)

So I never actually played *any* incarnation of UO. First MMO I played besides the short-lived America Online "Neverwinter Nights" dial-up game was Everquest, which was pretty interesting at the time to somebody like myself that had no idea what an MMO was capable of.

UO was great, because the servers were reverse-engineered quite early and there were a ton of freeshards around ;-)

Only strange thing is that the trailer uses the old graphics. Wasn't there an overhaul a while ago?

The attached video is just some random woman playing the Harp :)

The only thing that would get me excited for UO is if they revamped it into Ultima Offline, a massive single-player rpg… I'd pay full price for that, even with the vintage graphics.

The one and only MMORPG which gave me the feeling of "living in it".

Nevery found another gaming experience like this.

Do there still exist PKs ?

The one and only MMORPG which gave me the feeling of "living in it".

Nevery found another gaming experience like this.

I've been chasing the dragon ever since. I'm convinced I'll never find it, and that it was a combination of my teenage years plus the excitement of the new MMORPG genre that will never, ever be replicated again. Meridian 59, UO, Asheron's Call, UO. At least not in my lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom