JA2 Reloaded - Newsletter 3

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Alrik writes in to say bitComposer has released their third Jagged Alliance Reloaded newsletter, available in German and English. You'll be pleased to know they still don't know how to appeal to their core audience:
Below is an update on the latest status regarding the “Fog of War/Line of Sight” feature:
We have again discussed the “line of sight” issue internally, and have finally decided to show all the enemies right at the start, as we were worried that a pure “line of sight” on the complex game maps could represent too great a challenge for beginners, particularly as our maps are, to some extent, larger than in the original game.
But there’s no problem with the basic logic of showing enemies when they are spotted by your own mercenaries. We already have some ideas on how to keep both players new to the game and the “old hands” among you happy.
We haven’t yet decided quite how we will do this, and have left all the options open. In any case, the veterans among you should be able to make all the enemies invisible until they enter your mercenaries’ field of vision.
We will only be able to finalize the details during development when the combat system is far advanced and we can assess how it will impact on the overall game experience. Ideally of course, we want to find a single solution that fits all!
More information.

This project has left me a bit confused so far. I'm sure this has already been said, but what's the point in "remaking" a game if it doesn't stay true to the original? I certainly wouldn't be opposed to new mechanics or ideas in a full-blown sequel (although I wouldn't want anything too drastically different, of course), but why bother calling this game a remake if it is vastly different from the source material? Why not just call it Jagged Alliance 3?

Ideally of course, we want to find a single solution that fits all!

Impossible, unless you are able to toggle on or off LOS. It is highly doubtful they will be able to do that.

That's not even the core problem. The problem is no turnbased combat in a remake of a game known for it's complex turnbased combat. Go figure.

Alrik, I want to thank you for ruining my Christmas. :p I had almost forgot about this monstrosity when here it comes knocking on my door again.

as we were worried that a pure “line of sight” on the complex game maps could represent too great a challenge for beginners,

This excuse bores me and frankly I've been hearing it much too often. What about us advanced users? I suppose they don't want to lose out on any money to be had because idiots are too stupid to figure out a game.

Oh and the next person who says, "They made it more accessible for new players" can kiss my furry behind.

I mistook the released a newsletter to released the game. I'm at least willing to try it especially if there is a demo but do not have very high hopes.

Alrik, I want to thank you for ruining my Christmas. :p I had almost forgot about this monstrosity when here it comes knocking on my door again.

At your service. :sneaky:

And I must say I'm confused about it, too.

.... But there’s no problem with the basic logic of showing enemies when they are spotted by.....

...blah blah blah....

Well, if you say so. Dunno. But, there is a problem with your basic logic in general, which is the fact that you CAN NOT make this game for both "beginners" & uh, "old hands". It just won`t work.

It`s also condescending to assume it will be too hard for "beginners"...do you think "veterans" were ,like, born with this knowledge?

Now, if you started your own IP, hey, no problem! Do as you please...

Eh, anyway...

All The Worst

Rebelstar Raider

My first reaction is and was, no, not again. One month later i allready forgot about it and will not waste my mind on it how it should be and all.
Guess we will all see how it turns out. If it turns out to be good, well then i guess wonders still excist.

Back
Top Bottom