Last game you finished, tell us about it

I recently finished Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

All in all, I'd say it was the greatest game I've ever played.

It had everything. Super interesting lore, well-written dialog and story, intrigue, twists and turns, a deep character sheet with skill checks, different ways to play the game, choices that actually mattered and a truly immersive setting. The level design was fantastic and the pacing felt great.

I should mention that I never played the game upon release, in fact, I didn't even know it existed until recently. Even playing it 10 years later, the game still stands up as a classic and is extremely playable and fun even by today's standards.

Pretty much a must-play for fans of the RPG genre. If you haven't tried this game, I suggest you do. Go, now, and fulfill your darkest vampire desires :). You'll be glad you did.

I second that emotion
It's impossible for me to name the "best game ever", so many of the classics have many interesting aspects and they all are special in their own way.

But yeah, a really good title and lots of replay value if you desire to do so

I second that emotion
It's impossible for me to name the "best game ever", so many of the classics have many interesting aspects and they all are special in their own way.

But yeah, a really good title and lots of replay value if you desire to do so

It's hard for me to pick a favorite or "best game ever" as well. All games are indeed special in their own way. Vampire just happens to be VERY special :).

The old mansion, i think it was called the Ocean House or something, was one of the most intense gaming experiences of my life. Scared me pretty good. I remember getting to the top and just staring out at that lighthouse in the distance for a really long time. Just that section of the game is better than some entire games!

Such an awesome game

The old mansion, i think it was called the Ocean House or something, was one of the most intense gaming experiences of my life. Scared me pretty good. I remember getting to the top and just staring out at that lighthouse in the distance for a really long time. Just that section of the game is better than some entire games!

Yep, same experience here. It scared the crap out of me and it was just an expertly-designed level. Very memorable and yeah, I agree that that level is better than some games!

Bloodlines was basically just one big memorable moment for me :).

If you think that the mansion in Bloodlines scary, then you should try Undying - the whole game is a messed up mansion, and pretty disturbing too!

Finished Paper Sorcerer this morning. It's a decent indie dungeon crawl, but my experience was marred by some significant bugs. Still, it's definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of old-school party-based crpgs like Wizardry, etc.

I just managed to beat the first Assassin's creed and dang was it an annoying game. I recently got Assassin's Creed 2, as I've heard that it's supposed to be a lot better, but I felt the need to have played the first game in the series to its end first.
The environments in this game were quite nice looking, and I can see why it was considered to be an impressive looking game when it was released (it really does look like a game from 07-08 though). And it also looked quite nice when the character was jumping from rooftop to rooftop.
Combat was simplistic. It was not the worst combat I've seen, but there was hardly any skill involved, and the auto-lock on system was problematic (in particular when I wanted to disengage, and the game just decided that "no, you're not allowed to climb that ladder, instead you should fight this person who just attacked you instead, so here's some auto-lock-on for you).
The platforming looked nice, and I quite liked the views you got from high up. That being said, it also had a mind of its own. Quite often when trying to jump to something, the game would randomly decide that I should jump to something else that's nearby. This auto-lock on was mainly just annoying. I died far fewer times in Mirror's Edge due to failed jumps than I did in this game.
And finally, the cities were nice and crowded, but there were so few different voice clips for the random NPCs. In particular the beggars were annoying, as they would run up and repeat the same voice clip over and over. Sometimes several beggars would say the exact same thing at the same time. Towards the midpoint of the game, I was contemplating just killing any beggar that would run up to me, so that I would not have to hear them anymore.
As for the story, seen better, seen worse. It did its job, but it failed to engage me. I just did not care about the outcome.
Overall, a game with some nice points, but many annoyances. I can't really recommend this one, but I've also played many games that are worse. A rather forgettable experience.

For me it was just a technology demo, no real game(play). None should play it.

I just managed to beat the first Assassin's creed and dang was it an annoying game.

You're certainly more resilient than I was. I quit about 2/3 through after I decided I couldn't take any more of the repetitive gameplay.

Imo, you're better off skipping the entire series prior to AC IV.

So far I really liked brotherhood. Looking forward to black flag but I'm wondering if I missed anything important not finishing ac3

Looking forward to black flag but I'm wondering if I missed anything important not finishing ac3

Black Flag actually takes place before AC3.. at least concerning the events of the assassin. The Animus plot (which I couldn't care less about) takes place in chronological order.

You're certainly more resilient than I was. I quit about 2/3 through after I decided I couldn't take any more of the repetitive gameplay.

Imo, you're better off skipping the entire series prior to AC IV.

I skipped pretty much all the side-content, once I was done with my first run of the 3 cities, so the game was mercifully short. I never went out into the overworld, and the only civilians I saved were the ones I saved by mistake, when the enemies aggroed on me, climbed up ladders, and then jumped down and died (enemies take fall damage in Assassin's creed, but are not always smart enough to find a safe way down. This could end up in some rather hilarious lemming-like behaviour when you are chased by a large group of enemies and then find a place to hide). I also did the bare minimum of quests needed in order to be allowed to do any given assassination, and ignored all flags. Had I been a completionist, I would probably hate the game a lot more.

Anyway, I found a nice guy from Russia who was willing to trade me Assassin's Creed 2, it's 2 side games & Assassin's creed 3 (deluxe), all for less than 10€, so I'm still going to give those a shot. And IV is rather expensive right now. Plus, from the screenshots I've seen, Assassin's Creed 2 looks to have some beautiful environments, and I'm a sucker for that in games.

I finished Thief (2014) last night. Took me 31 hours for all 25 missions but I missed some of the collectibles.
I also missed my dear old friends the Hammerites, but, oh well, at least I found some Hammerite ruins.

I finished Thief (2014) last night. Took me 31 hours for all 25 missions but I missed some of the collectibles.
I also missed my dear old friends the Hammerites, but, oh well, at least I found some Hammerite ruins.

Verdict?

I was wary because I had heard bad things about gamestopping bugs, but as I received it only recently, it was patched already and I didn't run into a single bug. Plus it ran perfectly fast on my old computer, and thet with above-average settings (I can't even install the new Wolfenstein).

Action key controls worked really well unless a keyhole could be both picked and peeped through, then things became somewhat muddy. But there were not many instances of these in the game.

The story and its execution were okay, though not my favorite out of the bunch (--> Metal Age). Though I was somewhat shocked when I discovered that
this game wasn't a reboot after all, and what must have happened to the 'old' Garrett
... :O

I really liked the missions I did for the circus guy.

I liked that you could finish your side missions after the main story had ended. I also like how you could replay main missions.

IMO the City was handled much better than in Deadly Shadows.

Was the Asylum creepier than the Shalebridge Cradle? Well ... it was similar, yet different. And I really like how they took beloved elements from the other games and incorporated them into this one.

Overall, I liked it a lot better than I thought I would. It's not my favorite Thief game (once again, that's Metal Age), but I found it more fun than Deadly Shadows.

Thanks for the feedback Jaz! ;)

I quite liked what I played of it myself. I think I got to ~level 4 or so, before being distracted. But I kept hearing from other people how terrible it was, so - like you - I've been wary about getting back to it.

But you've just convinced me that I need to play it again, and I'll probably start over.

I'm fully prepared for a subpar story and a weak ending - but the actual gameplay was pretty cool up until where I quit.

Much more my style than Dishonored, frankly.

Ah, Dishonored is a game I'd love to play, but it's still so expensive. Once I find iit in a local bargain bin, however ...
I loved Thief's thieving gameplay. Though I tend to lose my nerves after a while, misstep, get detected and then go all ballistic - erm, predator I mean - on the poor guards.

Shadowrun Returns

So, I got around to playing this after the save-game patch was released.

Originally, I wrote it off because I found it too linear and not RPGish enough. Well, that's still true - but I really enjoyed most of it anyway - as it turns out.

The story was actually well-written and the first half of the game was great. I'd say the game kinda loses its way somewhere after that, though - and becomes sort of far-fetched where the story is concerned, but the writing remains solid throughout.

If Cyberpunk games were common, this would probably not get my attention - and it would probably get a lower rating. But as we all know, Cyberpunk is an extremely rare setting for games - which I find really strange, as I love the hell out of it.

Anyway, I enjoyed my time with this game - and I found that once I'd accepted the limitations, what was left was pretty good. The progression system, though simplistic, offered enough rewards in a paced manner to keep it somewhat entertaining.

The combat system was also quite simple, but it had just enough little nuances to shake it up and ended up being fun.

I liked the "Matrix" implementation, even if there were a few segments towards the end of the game that I found to be slightly too long.

With a less linear and slightly longer game, I could see the cyberspace aspect become quite enthralling.

But, in the end, the best part of the game is definitely the story and the interesting NPCs. I highly recommend it as the game to play on a Sunday afternoon where nothing much is happening otherwise.

Overall, I'd give it 7/10.

Back
Top Bottom