Broken Sword 5 Kickstarter

The ending of Broken Sword 4 was a bit of a letdown and Broken Sword 4 was rather bad in comparison to BS3. Broken Sword 3 was a 3d game and it was a good one.

I do not believe the problem with the 3d generation was 3d itself, the problem was that people thought that "3d" means gameplay. That is, they believed there was a difference in gameplay between a 3d and 2d game so they sought other 3d games, used them as reference and cloned their gameplay, abandoning the sense of the 2d games that came before it. In many cases they ended up with 3rd-person behind-back controls and a complete mess that meant the end of the series and the company because the "3d gameplay" abandoned alot and added little.

Monkey Island 4, Simon the Sorcerer 3, Gabriel Knight 3, Kings Quest 8 etc were all examples of a bad attempt at building a "3d game" that often meant the death of the company. So where the recent Sonic the Hedgehog for example.

Today we see how using polygons doesn't control the gameplay. Games like Bionic Commando Reloaded, Magicka, Diablo 3, Street Fighter IV are all 3d but could as well be 2d.

Considering todays 3d graphics it makes sense to build games in 3d unless you are building cell-animation cartoon-style titles. 3d is just simpler to use, easier to adapt to different resolutions, take upp less harddrive space etc.

Yep, great news indeed. Before I turned to cRPGs I played Broken Sword (and C&C/Warcraft/Wing Commander). Part 1 is one of my personal favorites of all time.
Monkey Island 4, Simon the Sorcerer 3, Gabriel Knight 3, Kings Quest 8 etc were all examples of a bad attempt at building a "3d game" that often meant the death of the company. So where the recent Sonic the Hedgehog for example.
I would add Grim Fandango. It was a good adventure, but a horrible 3D game. Unless you had a joystick.

Considering todays 3d graphics it makes sense to build games in 3d unless you are building cell-animation cartoon-style titles. 3d is just simpler to use, easier to adapt to different resolutions, take upp less harddrive space etc.
As Revolution is mainly aiming at mobile plattforms (5 million downloads of BS1 DC on iOS in 2011), I would not agree.

I would add Grim Fandango. It was a good adventure, but a horrible 3D game. Unless you had a joystick.

I do not remember it's control scheme, but didn't GF use fixed backgrounds like Alone in the Dark?

As Revolution is mainly aiming at mobile plattforms (5 million downloads of BS1 DC on iOS in 2011), I would not agree.

That I can agree with. Mobile devices have actually been a welcoming return of many classics and classic gameplay.

Both Grom Fandango and Monkey Island 4 (the part fans like least) play as if they had been developed for consoles, not for PCs. They don't even have any mouse support for running around !

@Alrik: Not true. It has mouse support, but it's horrible.

@JemyM:Grim Fandango had fixed camera angles, but direct character controls and no point & click. Without a joystick you've seen yourself running through the game world like a drunken peasent. Or at least that's my last remembrance I have before I uninstalled the game. IIRC you couldn't just skim the screen and then click for points of interest. That's typically 3D.

Okay, but as a defense I must say that it is a LOT of years since I had played Grim Fandango for the last time ... I lost interest mainly due a rare bug that was never fixed and not even acknowledged to exist.

Already 290k and still 25 days to go. I think this is a safe one. Did anyone already back the game?

For me, I'm not sure which level to choose, yet. Do I really want a boxed version for 100 bucks? I don't care about digital swag, I already have all Revolution games with exception of BS2 Remastered, so it is either 15, 25 or 100 Dollar. If the boxed version were about 50 or 75 Dollar, it would have been easier to decide. Also I'm a little bit uneasy because they can't promise that the german voice actors for George, Nico and André will return. That would be very hard, if they change the cast after 16 years.

The Kickstarter hit the goal and 16 days left. They published their stretch goals. As expected, they offer mainly new content. Their 1 Million goal is the promise to start
production of Beneath a Steel Sky (but you don't get the game for free).

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165500047/broken-sword-the-serpents-curse-adventure/posts/302238

This campaign is a interesting one. Except of one person no one choose one of the two highest tiers. It's mainly a thing of 15 - 100 $ backers. Also, yesterday they already had 498.000 $ when they lost rapidly about 10.000 $. I guess it has to do with the lack of an iOS version for backers. Monday evening CEST they promised all backers of the 25$ tier a android version in addition to mac/linux/pc and made up a lot of money. But because of Apple's restrictions for the number of gift codes they still cannot guarantee a copy for iPhone. In the evening their pledges changed rapidly. I guess many US backers cancelled their pledge.

For german backers: George's voice actor Alexander Schottky already announced at Facebook he's happy to voice George again. Says Adventure-Treff. Voice acting is to be done by toneworx, who already made BF3.

Back
Top Bottom