Shaker - Update #8, Evolution of Concept Art

Dhruin

SasqWatch
There's a new Shaker update discussing two pieces of concept art:
Hey there, Shaker operatives! This update we thought we’d let you check out the new tier you asked for, and give you a peek at the concept art process -- from sketches to finished design!
Before we begin, just want to remind folks of the new tier, $125 for the Old-School Edition + Cloth Map. People wanted something more affordable, and we priced it as low as we thought we could!

Concept Art

To review: Shaker: An Old School RPG features a six-character party - you and your 3 crew as well as 2 recruitable player characters. You begin the game as James Connelly, though you may customize him any way you like (including changing his appearance and gender). Next, you create 3 different Shaker operatives to join you on your Antera mission. Traveling back through time and space to arrive on Antera, you may recruit two locals to work on your crew. This is a medieval era world, with swordplay and magic.
So we needed cool concept art to convey combat in that medieval world.
More information.

Obsidian has backed Shaker now. Not sure if they'll come out with a public plea on their behalf, though most likely not until their own funding window has ended, but they have provided backing at least.

I have to say that I like the concept art a lot, the one with the large creature in the forest. In fact, I like it a lot more than the PE concept art with the five companions.

i don't think they're creating the right concept art to attract RPGers. Thats more like mainstream DA fans piece.
go for some izometric concept art, please . Also , that guard guy looks really soft .. not what you'd except from a guy fighting monsters.
I can't find a reason for backin em .. yet

If their Kickstarter had started today with all the game asset they have shown thus far and started at $500,000. Then I would be in. But it appears to me that they are making it up as they go along.

Last edited:
They set their sites too high at 1 million. Am so excited about Wasteland 2 and PE but I have to hold off on this one. They should not have come out till PE was over for a month or so. They needed to give people time to pay off their credit card bills. Real bad planning on their part to come out during PE funding.

I don't know. Perhaps they felt they were riding the wave of RPG enthusiasm. I have probably funded 3 other RPGs while PE was being funded.

But it appears to me that they are making it up as they go along.

The setting and basic game mechanics were obviously planned, but I think they're still finishing the details. I don't see how it's different from the majority of kickstarters in that aspect.

The setting and basic game mechanics were obviously planned, but I think they're still finishing the details. I don't see how it's different from the majority of kickstarters in that aspect.

You're very right about that. When Shadowrun Kickstarter project started, nothing was certain about the game even it would be an RPG or not. But, this didn't prevent people from pledging. I still don't understand this much skepticism about Shaker.

Apparently, to many of us - it did not seem "obviously planned"

I am both a Wizardry and an Anachronix fan and unlike some I have nothing against either of the developers. But from my perspective, I just have no faith in the project at this time.

Speak for yourself. I don't think you know what everyone else's opinion is.

Having an underwhelming initial presentation doesn't mean the game wasn't planned.

You are absolutely correct - I do not know what any one's real opinions is. However, I think it is fair to extrapolate that there are some folks who think like me based on the relatively underwhelming response of pledges made thus far.

You are absolutely correct - I do not know what any one's real opinions is. However, I think it is fair to extrapolate that there are some folks who think like me based on the relatively underwhelming response of pledges made thus far.

I'm sure there are a variety of reasons their kickstarter isn't doing as well as it could, which is a shame considering it has as much potential as any other I've seen. But to claim it "wasn't planned" is just silly.

While the game seems to have only one or two sound concepts, the overall feel of this kickstater appears as if they are just throwing around lots of marketing catchphrases to attract (old-school) RPG enthusiasts (that too in a very cheesy manner, also "get two RPGs for the price of one!!!!!!!!!!"). They are desperately trying to piggyback on the PE kickstarter success. "Shaker" is an incredibly lame title too. I hope this kickstarter 'shakes' and fails badly, as it deserves to.

To me it reeks of "hey! look what Project Eternity is doing! I'm sure we can do something like that too, let's catch the bandwagon wooo!". I don't think it was planned, at all.

I think one thing to consider that at the moment Obsidion has a much larger team working on project eternity then the shaker team has. Obsidion isn't really the fair KS to compare them too, how about shadowrun or wasteland 2...which didn't have much information until further a long.

Gee to think that other kickstarters aren't at the level of a larger game company, how can that possibly be.

Haven't had a chance to read every update so I don't know if this info is available.

How sci-fi is it? Is it like Wiz 8 with a little tech sprinkled in or is it more like dues ex?

how about shadowrun or wasteland 2…which didn't have much information until further a long.

It didn't matter coz both were (sort of) sequels, so the basic premise and gameplay was assumed to be similar to that of originals..

It didn't matter coz both were (sort of) sequels, so the basic premise and gameplay was assumed to be similar to that of originals..

I will give you that for wasteland, but shadowrun is nowhere near a sequel.

Back
Top Bottom