NWN - Enhanced Edition Coming Soon

Hmmm…

From the blurb in the OP of this thread…

Combines all the content of Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition

and

Backwards Compatibility: Works with save games, modules, and mods from the original Neverwinter Nights. A galaxy of community created content awaits.

From GOG…

The Diamond Edition includes the original Neverwinter Nights and three official expansion packs: Shadows of Undrentide, Hordes of the Underdark and Kingmaker.

I'll look forward to post processing/shaders as well. NWNShader, whilst it does work, is a bit fiddly and temperamental.

At least downward, upward and sideward compatibility seems to be in, so existing and coming mods should profit from an EE.

That's one thing I'm hoping for - the revival of great modding community! BG/IWD/PST EE didn't really achieve that - altho not as big as NWN, BG2 had quite large and active modding community back in the old days!

Since I don't really see valuable "enhanced" features worth mentioning, I don't find this a welcoming news.

If this "EE" don't include 2 expansion and breaks compatibility for existing player made modules, seriously don't see any reason to be delighted about this news.

This EE will not break compatibility of mods so there is that at least and I'm pretty sure the two expansions will be included. Has anyone tried Sweetfx? I wonder what it could do for NWN?

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/sweetfx-shader-suite-download.html

I would have much rather seen an enhanced edition for Icewind Dale II.

And NWN2 since they are already going down this route. In my view, EEs already released/announced really didn't add values to me. Its the broken products I want to see enhanced/fixed.

I could never get Sweetfx (or ReShadeMe) working with NWN. I thought of these too when I saw the announcement. They say they'll have native shaders etc so might not be necessary,

Only NWNShader works for me on the riginal version and then only the version prior to the last release (which was years ago). It often crashes on startup but comes good if you persevere and does a reasonable job. I like to use the DoF, first person camera and WASD keys for general exploring.

Henchmen controls like NWN2 or BG would be awesome.

I was with you until you brought up henchman controls, LOL! :lol:

NWN is cool to me in that it's a different experience. Your party members do their own thing, which leads to unpredictability at times (good and bad) and generally just offers a different experience than the total control of BG/IWD/etc..

Ah well, I'm sure I'm in the minority on that. But I think it's a fresh change of pace to have henchmen or party members that you DON'T have to micromanage. There are plenty of games that offer that, too. If they improve the companion AI, even better! (Although I'd also like to see intelligence and other factors play a part in how they act, i.e. they don't always do the "perfect" move, etc..)

I could never get SweetFX working well, either. It took everything to get NWN to run and allow the Steam Controller to work well with it. That was hard enough for me! :)

While the EE might not add much - i rather take the wait and see approach. The NWN included campaigns were not that hot but some of the free ones were fantastic. the current version shows it age with graphics but I don't remember much in the way of major bugs or game play issues. I think the camera bothered a few people.
-
To be honest I think it is a waste to EE nwn and I wish the previous EE had improved textures and made them more friendly for the newer (larger) monitors folks use these days but that would have required real work and $$ to produce.
-
While I liked nwn and nwn2 in their days these days I think there are better games. I do realize that major draw for nwn was user base built campaigns and not much has focused in that area (though in theory d:eek:s-2 is headed in that direction if you limit your campaign to four players). I do wish there was less bickering - one or two posts is fine but page+.....

That's one thing I'm hoping for - the revival of great modding community! BG/IWD/PST EE didn't really achieve that - altho not as big as NWN, BG2 had quite large and active modding community back in the old days!

Yep, that's one of my big excitements for this project, too! If we get new modules, campaigns and fun stuff being made, that will *really* be something.

I think NWN also has an advantage to actually make that reality since so many people still play modules for it. D:OS and other engines never took off, but NWN has all that history with it, so it could lead to some cool new things.

Hope so. :)

Good news I guess, hopefully it will breathe new life to the game.
What I don't like with their enhanced games is removing all the credits from Bioware & Black isle on GOG pages.

Arcanum would be a good one to fix.

Arcanum needs more than just bug fixes, it needs a complete balance overhaul.

Not sure if anyone would ever take the time to do that though because I don't believe it was a big seller. I had a lot of fun with it, but I don't think I'd ever play it again. It was too long for its own good.

Arcanum needs more than just bug fixes, it needs a complete balance overhaul.

Not sure if anyone would ever take the time to do that though because I don't believe it was a big seller. I had a lot of fun with it, but I don't think I'd ever play it again. It was too long for its own good.

True that. I played with a gunslinger type character and the combat balance was way off. I got stuck in some mine and even with some cheating couldn't push myself through.

What I don't like with their enhanced games is removing all the credits from Bioware & Black isle on GOG pages.

Removing the credits from the sales page makes perfect sense, especially since Bioware is still around. They own the rights, so it *is* in fact a Beamdog product they are selling. Original credits are also still in the game when you buy it. Which is more than they technically have to do since they own the rights.

I'm pretty sure that will never change, they don't seem to be the type of villainous cretins that would try and alter history and remove the original creators of the game from being credited (that would just be ridiculous.)

And if they redo Arcanum I'll know for sure I died sometime in the past and am now in heaven. :D (Although the announcement of this NWN EE is pretty close to that!)

Ok looking at that video and reading their vague list of "enhancements" I don't see what is actually being enhanced here?!
This looks like a criminal act of trying to sell a 9$ game for 20$ while lying about making it worth it. I hope people see this attempt and don't buy this shit.

At least with BGEE they (stole) took community mods and applied them to BG1 and when you compared it to original BG1, it was a huge difference.

I don't even understand how they expect new players to play this game with such ugly graphics for 2017. BG1EE has a nice isometric art that is at least somewhat pleasing it not very detailed. NWN1 is just terrible to look at with that early ugly 3d graphics.

Ok looking at that video and reading their vague list of "enhancements" I don't see what is actually being enhanced here?!
This looks like a criminal act of trying to sell a 9$ game for 20$ while lying about making it worth it. I hope people see this attempt and don't buy this shit.

Yeah...I guess you should just wait for DEMON's AGE to drop and skip this one. :lol:

Well, a proper upgrade would be very welcome. This sounds incredibly underwhelming to me, though.

NWN works perfectly on modern machines with modern resolutions. I played it a few months ago and had no issues. I use a 21:9 monitor, btw.

Quite the blatant cash grab from the kings of low-key cash grabbers ;)

Well great. But what do you have against other people having the choice to purchase the original separately?

If you already have it then who cares.

If you haven't bought it yet after almost 20 years, you missed your damn chance.

Fuck, some gamers are such an entitled bunch over the price of two cups of Starbucks.

The 15 to 30 minutes spent arguing over this shit could be used to work an extra half hour at work and buy the damn Enhanced Editions.

This is AMAZING!

I didn't expect it at all! This game will last forever! Maybe moders will come back to produce even more content! This is an instant buy for me!

Back
Top Bottom