How do you guys feel about Reddit and Imgur?

Tuaam

Watcher
What do you guys feel about the Direction Reddit and Imgur go in? Personally I feel mainstream Reddit is too ignorant and streamlined to begin with. Niche subreddits, on the other hand, tend to be much better communities and provide a nice experience that's wholesome and less harsh.

Imgur, on the other hand seems to be the same thing (albeit, shittier humor and bad opinions), but focuses on images rather than text more. Either ways, both of them have the same Karma and voting system that each user tries to maintain. However, if you say something against the crowd, they'll most likely downvote you to oblivion.

What do you guys think? Is Imgur and Reddit better than other communities or is it just mainstream, hence all the different personalities.

Don't know anything about imgur as a community, but Reddit certainly has its place. Obviously some subreddits are swamped by trolling kiddies and weirdos, but certainly for a lot of serious techie stuff, it's the goto place for good discussions and info.

Agreed, I've been building a PC for a couple of months, part by part and reddit was a source of most information I needed to build exactly the PC for my needs for as little money as possible. Haven't encountered many kiddies or trolls there. Couple of fanboys, yes, but most people I encountered have a balanced and non-biased view. For example, I want to buy an Nvidia card because I always had AMD/ATI cards and I wanted to try the competition. Not even once was I called nvidiot or similar thing for my insistence on Nvidia. They are very understanding, and once they understand my reasons they don't suggest me AMD cards because 'they are best bang for the buck' or something. Nothing against AMD, I just want to see what the other team has to offer.

Yeah, you even get engineers from AMD and Nvidia, Linux and Vulkan devs, cryptographers and security experts, holding AMAs and debates about the way forward. You don't get that sort of thing anywhere else that I know of.

Not sure I have ever used either site, beside Reddit for live streams of sports once in a blue moon.

Reddit is like a reflection of the Internet, if you don't know where to look you'll find shit and toxicity (The_Donald pfft!), but if you subscribe to specific subreddits you are interested about, your homepage will show good stuff regularly, and it's great for asking questions.
I don't use imgur except when I want to share some picture (usually on Reddit).

I've never heard of Imgur, and didn't know of Reddit till about two years ago, when Everquest briefly used it to host some chats. I say briefly, because that lasted about a week, if I recall correctly. So, one I've never heard of, one I visited about three times.

Reddit is like a reflection of the Internet, if you don't know where to look you'll find shit and toxicity (The_Donald pfft!), but if you subscribe to specific subreddits you are interested about, your homepage will show good stuff regularly, and it's great for asking questions.
I don't use imgur except when I want to share some picture (usually on Reddit).

Niche Subreddits are amazing to get into and provide insight to certain problems. But then again, it's hard to ignore the garbage.

I use Reddit all the time for specialized information. Google takes me there so often when I'm trying to solve a very specific problem or fix something. I don't know anything about the garbage, as I don't surf the site, just pop directly into whatever specialized info I need in my little world at that moment.

Reddit is pretty nice for specific games - though I think it's got a bad structure. But it's popular and easy - so there's a lot of useful info there.

Never really used imgur much at all.

I don't really have any feelings about either, though. There will always be alternatives - and if something is shut down or ruined, people will naturally migrate somewhere else.

Reddit is pretty nice for specific games - though I think it's got a bad structure. But it's popular and easy - so there's a lot of useful info there.

Never really used imgur much at all.

I don't really have any feelings about either, though. There will always be alternatives - and if something is shut down or ruined, people will naturally migrate somewhere else.

I remember when everyone thought Reddit was broken and they all wanted to migrate to Voat, and then that was the norm for a while.

Nowadays, voat's worse than Reddit.

I try to stay off Reddit unless I cannot find a better community but there is probably a higher quality forum somewhere else. Discoverability is the main problem as its hard to find the right subforum to visit. Can be good if you know the right one and bad if you dont (like r/Keep_Track vs r/The_Donald).

For example, I strongly prefer hacker news to reddit for most programming and tech news despite huge overlap between r/programming and hn because hn has a more serious and knowledgeable community that hates memes and one word comments so less waste of my time. Sort of like the difference between RPGWatch vs RPGCodex.

Agree with this, I have personally learned alot and had some great moments interacting with people on niche reddits

Know nothing about Imgur, but have heard about Reddit of course. I'm not a fan of Reddit's format, its very archaic and messy...needs to be overhauled. Even though I'm a strong supporter of Trump, and know about how The_Donald is one of the popular places for Trump supporters, its not attractive to me because of the format.

I use twitter to comment about politics, and also youtube most of the time. Even though twitter is biased firmly towards the left, and often has a third to half of the "top trending" being anti-Trump hashtags, there are still a lot of pro-Trump twitter users on there (a surprisingly large amount, to be honest, considering the general hostile climate).

Regarding other subjects and niche areas, I wouldn't know. It sounds like Reddit is a place to go to for technical and computer stuff though, if that is what you are interested in.

I didn't know they allowed Trump supporters in the Pacific Northwest. Don't let your neighbors find out.

Reddit is great for keeping up to date on info, fan art( NSWF naturally), advice on tech, and meeting lots of weirdos, but it's shallow as heck for any real discussion.
It's redpoint and account system is double edged sword, really depends what you're looking for...it works better with smaller, more "dedicated" audience.

Some very interesting forums including patientgamers

Reddit is the best alternative to good old fashioned discussion forums. Reddit is just much more difficult to use. Lots of good niche communities there though, but I still prefer discussion forums.

As for imgur… I have never seen it as a community site. I've always thought it is the place where people can post funny pictures or sexy pictures. :)

I very seldom use Imgur compared with Reddit. I guess Imgur won't last long compared with Reddit.

First time hearing about an "Imgur community"... I perceived it only as a place for hosting images.

Back
Top Bottom