Arcania - One Week Delay for US?

And they want to accomplish what? A distraction of a sort?
I'll buy both titles anyway so from my point of view this is an utterly rediculous move.

So Germany is getting this a few days early and I'm getting it a week late? And on the same day as Fallout? Thanks Jowood - this'll work really well for you, I'm sure.

This is commercial suicide. Whatever the reason, it should have been avoided. The direct competition with Bethesda will cost them a lot of money.

You should never put all your eggs into one basket they say but Jowood looks to be going for the big gamble with Arcania - maybe it really is 'do or die' time.

This is commercial suicide. Whatever the reason, it should have been avoided. The direct competition with Bethesda will cost them a lot of money.

Maybe, but now they have an excuse as to why it didn't sell in the USA...

Maybe, but now they have an excuse as to why it didn't sell in the USA…
What? By using the Chewbacca defense? "Ladies and gentlemen of the supposed fanbase, this does not make sense!"

Apparently it's the same flawed logic that TV programming executives employ in the U.S. They always put new shows or special programming up against the competition's best product. It's a Dick Contest. They are either too arrogant or too stupid to believe they'll knock off the competition.
Instead of splitting the audience or market, I always thought a better strategy would be to stagger or alternate release dates with the competition. That way, each gets a big chunk of the market and everyone is happy. But, what do I know.

I noticed that Amazon and a few other places quietly changed the release date to the 19th a few weeks ago. This is old news... But why? I agree with you, its commercial suicide. Maybe they thought going against Medal of Honor on the 12th was a bigger threat than Fallout? I hate these release date changes. I have a feeling that this is it for JoWOod and the Gothic series...

I have to assume this is not a strategy but some sort of risk mitigation. They probably had manufacturing problems or something. If they are trying to compete head to head with fallout then they will likely get what they deserve. The only reason I would probably have bought it was good reviews and no immediate competition and that is not happening at the moment.

I noticed that Amazon and a few other places quietly changed the release date to the 19th a few weeks ago. This is old news… But why? I agree with you, its commercial suicide. Maybe they thought going against Medal of Honor on the 12th was a bigger threat than Fallout? I hate these release date changes. I have a feeling that this is it for JoWOod and the Gothic series…

I was thinking the same thing, but that also makes no sense - both are top-line AAA games, so why go against the follow-up to the top selling 2008 RPG ... surely there is less overlap with a shooter?

Steam is still showing 12th so maybe they are not affected

It's a hilariously bad decision for a hilariously bad game.

North American marketing department has no brain obviously. Releasing Arcania in the same day of F:NW's release means suicide.

Interesting that Two Worlds II was delayed til January to avoid competition, where Arcania seems to have gone for the opposite approach :)

Interesting that Two Worlds II was delayed til January to avoid competition, where Arcania seems to have gone for the opposite approach :)

The day I heard TW2 getting pushed to January, the 11th I think, I immediately looked up Amazon.de(Germany) and pre-ordered the PC Royal version. ETA is no later than November 4th!

Back
Top Bottom