Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Random thoughts/tips:

A Keen weapon with lower damage may be better than a normal weapon with slightly higher damage. Some weapons threat range can become 15-20(x3) or something like this, and you can end up doing more damage long-term this way.

If you multiclass with Rogue, every odd level gives you an additional 1d6 of sneak damage, so feel free to occasionally take a level of it to keep multiplying that very important damage (and remember to boost your Stealth skill in the process)!

Dragon Disciple class is a strong one, not just for spellcasters but anyone who wants Strength boosts that are permanent at the first 4 levels, and also extra attacks like growing claws and bites. Remember, extra attacks like claws/bites also attack the same round as your weapon does, so it gives you added bonus and extra attacks per round!

Ekun is Lawful Good and likes Torag, so maybe making him a Paladin wouldn't be a bad idea...He also has good stats and with the proper equipment could definitely benefit in a role like that.

Jaethal can be a tank if you like, she's immune to fear/poison/dying/etc. since she's Undead. If you're not using Valerie as your tank you can outfit her with the proper feats to do so.

Jaethal can also use the Grim Finale club, which normally kills someone who unequips it. Since she's immune to Finger of Death, she can benefit from the extra damage the club causes as well as the Vampiric Touch restoring her health every time it hits.

Since Amiri has lower AC, don't worry so much and give her a 6 ft. ranged weapon, like a Glaive or Longspear. That way she can actually stand behind your tank without taking damage and wallop on the enemy that way. Or, you could use Enlarge Person potions (which the game hands out a *ton* of) to give her the same 6 ft. range distance with her normal weapons and achieve the same thing, temporarily of course.

If you play an Archaeologist, you can multiclass but try to get to level 5 first. This gives you some spells but also Archaeologist's Luck +2, which adds +2 to pretty much everything he/she does, including skill checks.

Additionally, skill checks can be bolstered by the Heroism spell and the free orison/cantrip "Guidance", which always helps before attempting a skill check of any kind (even in the storybook segments)! You can get in a good habit of applying both these bonuses before you talk to NPCs, too, to give yourself a better chance should a skill check pop up in dialogue.

Always keep scrolls of healing in your inventory. This will keep you from having to expend all your spells to heal and let you adventure longer before resting. Potions have a similar effect but are more expensive because they can be used quicker in combat by any character.

Use Magic Device for melee/non-magical characters can still be a good idea. Valerie can do something like cast a wand of level 4 Burning Hands for example, or a wand of Lead Blades, etc., that gives her more options in melee than basic attacks.

I'll post more later but just felt like sharing in case anyone is interested. 350 hours and still loving the game. :)

Hey, Owlcats released the first part of the Kingdom management guide!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/3104564981102427318/

Some new features will be added too:

We are planning to add some additional events to help you recover the barony status.
There are also several buildings, projects, and decisions, which allow you to increase barony status during ranking up. Sometimes events and triumphs can lead to positive change in barony status and lead to "Serene." To give several examples:

Assassin’s Guild (that could be unlocked from kingdom quest for CN kingdoms) can prevent going into Crumbling state, but at the cost of 10 Community, and only if you have allowed bandits ran rampant in your kingdom.
If you have decided to help Linxia and despite all odds secured an alliance with her, you will be granted a project that occasionally makes status better (up until Worried). This project also makes Last Resort better.
The decision to reduce taxes while increasing the rank of Economy to 3, will make status better (can even make it Serene); increasing taxes will make status worse.
Troublemakers Kingdom Problem can make status worse on Disaster.
Arrears Kingdom Problem can make status better on Triumph while solving with Councilor.

"Invincible Kingdom" setting prevents your barony from being ruined when it reaches barony status "Destroyed." However, some story events (like Massive Troll Attack or The Barony Was Consumed By The Bloom) can still lead to the destruction of Barony. You will be warned about such events in advance (2 months, a month, 3 weeks, 2 weeks and a week before). Such events are prevented by completing the main story mission of the chapter.

In the upcoming 1.1 patch, when BP drop below 0, barony status will change at the end of the day and will not when you hit negative BP. This will give you an opportunity to visit merchant Hassuf and buy additional BP.

We are working on other improvements for barony status system, and primarily on providing clear information about status changes (which, in most cases, are enigmatic).

Hey, Owlcats released the first part of the Kingdom management guide!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/3104564981102427318/

Some new features will be added too:

Awesome! So glad they added the fix to events that happen at the end of the month if you're doing a project. In 1.1 I already noticed that - events that pop up at the end of the month while you're doing a project don't auto-fail, you can do them the next month. Kingdom Management is really, really good now IMO. I'm having a blast in this period between Acts 3 and 4!

How far are you into the game now, @TheRealFluent; ?

Finished Act 3, just waiting for Act 4 to start and building up my kingdom. I'm really enjoying it. I did a bunch of the crafters' quests for the various regions I claimed and now I get all sorts of gifts every so often. :D Really cool. I'm focusing on ranking up my advisors now, I have 9 slots unlocked with only 1 left (not sure which, arcanist advisor maybe?) and my Kingdom is Serene and I'm having lots of success with the events. Level 10 and pretty close to 11 which I'm also excited about (2nd level of Dragon Disciple for my main, yea yea! :p). Can't wait for new regions to open up so I can explore them as I cleared the map that is available so far.

Another tip: Don't be afraid to get a specific exotic weapons focus. If you find a nice weapon that is exotic, get the weapon focus. Chances are you'll find an even better item later, but it will be worth it as you can use the same weapons for quite a long time in the game and have success.

Example - The Decapitator Falcata. It's Furious and Keen, which means the threat range is 17-20(x3) and it does 3-10 damage plus Strength bonus I believe (which is the Furious part of it). Chances are you'll use that weapon for awhile if you get a weapon focus for Falcata, and you might even find a better Falcata later, but you'll use that one for a good while with stats like that…

Keen weapons are great. Jaethal in my game is using a Keen Elven Curved Blade. Threat range 15-20(x3)! Massive crit damage potential there, and I didn't even have to get a weapon focus as she's familiar already with Elven weapons. :)

I'm focusing on ranking up my advisors now, I have 9 slots unlocked with only 1 left (not sure which, arcanist advisor maybe?) and my Kingdom is Serene and I'm having lots of success with the events. Level 10 and pretty close to 11 which I'm also excited about (2nd level of Dragon Disciple for my main, yea yea! :p). Can't wait for new regions to open up so I can explore them as I cleared the map that is available so far.

Lucky you, my kingdom was serene for like 2 days?

These are available positions:

Reagent/Community
Councilor/Loyalty
General/Military
Treasurer/Economy
Grand Diplomat/Relations
High Priest/Divine
Magister/Arcane
Warden/Stability
Curator/Culture
Minister/Espionage

Another tip: Don't be afraid to get a specific exotic weapons focus. If you find a nice weapon that is exotic, get the weapon focus. Chances are you'll find an even better item later, but it will be worth it as you can use the same weapons for quite a long time in the game and have success.
That depends on the class. Some classes get a very low number of feats ("feat-starved"), so you perhaps should focus on a single weapon type.

That depends on the class. Some classes get a very low number of feats ("feat-starved"), so you perhaps should focus on a single weapon type.

Agreed. It may make sense for Fighters and such, but not for classes that need to spread their feats around or that get fewer feats. The game really pushes "Weapon Focus" as a favorable skill to get, but it's worth keeping in mind that a Something +2 is better than WeaponFocusWhatever +1, so it's generally easier to swap around. At least until you start to put feats towards Improved Critical and so on, but at that point you're starting to lock down on a single weapon type. That being said, ranged weapons are in a slightly different situation, as the vast majority of good ranged weapons fall into the "Longbows" category.

At any rate, it's generally worth it for Fighters and similar, as they get so many combat feats.

So.. now it's time for a bit of a rant. I believe I bumped into the castle that @purpleblob; mentioned:

Wow! This is actually the most annoying thing to delve into since the Tomb of VARN in Might & Magic VI. I was 16,2 or so when I got there, probably because I've barely failed a single quest or bluff/diplomacy check in the game, so I got a bunch of 20k+ xp boosts.

That being said, I don't think it's possible to be 17 before getting there. At least with a full party. The XP needed is massive (half a million XP or something absurd), and I've only missed a few bugged quests and so on. There may be a "Baldur's Gate" style XP dividiving going on here, where a smaller party yields more XP, but I'll be trying that out the next time I play it (I intend to go with 4 people for most of the game). In other words: We'll find out!

Now, back to the dungeon. The only reason I didn't have to lower the difficulty, as I've seen many do, is because I figured out that "Freedom" gives immunity to paralyze. However, even with that knowledge, it's still horrible. There's a need to buff up through the roof ahead of virtually every fight, which would have been fine if we were talking about a handful of fights. It's not a handful of fights. It's three, massive floors filled with them, and all three floors must be cleared twice due to phasing, so it's six floors in reality. If they wanted that daft design in the game, they should at least have cut an entire floor or something to reduce the frustration somewhat.

At any rate, moving on..

@Maylander; yep, that's the one I'm talking about. It practically soured my experience with Kingmaker. Be aware, if you make choice to continue on with chapter 7, it's basically the same deal minus the annoying puzzle.

Btw I was using the freedom buff but still after like 10th fight, I lost my patience and lowered the difficulty.

That being said, ranged weapons are in a slightly different situation, as the vast majority of good ranged weapons fall into the "Longbows" category.
There's some bug/cheese here btw.: There are bracers of archery that give you a small attack bonus with bows and the proficiency with long bows. So you can equip the bracers, then equip the bow. If you now unequip the bracers (to switch with AC bracers or something) you can still use the bow. It's not automatically unequipped.

Hmm, I thought every class gets a feat at every odd level? Was I wrong about that? But yeah, I mostly use the Focus feat with my Fighters/Damage Dealers. It at least makes the weapon you're using essentially +1 better, and prepares you for the possibility of a greater weapon of that subtype down the road. I quite like it.

Hmm, I thought every class gets a feat at every odd level? Was I wrong about that? But yeah, I mostly use the Focus feat with my Fighters/Damage Dealers. It at least makes the weapon you're using essentially +1 better, and prepares you for the possibility of a greater weapon of that subtype down the road. I quite like it.
Correct, but Fighters and such get bonus feats that are combat related. Wizards, for example, get fewer bonus feats, and those bonus feats are magic related (can't choose weapon focus etc).

Edit: It's one of the major advantages of a Fighter actually. They get a bonus feat every other level, instead of every 3-5 levels as most others. It makes quite a difference.

Yeah, all classes get at least 1 feat every two levels. So 10 feats overall (11 for humans).

But several classes get more feats, e.g., fighters, or rogues with an additional feat every two levels.

(edit: too slow :p)

It's also worth pointing out that a huge chunk of the game, easily 50 hours, will be done at around level 8-14 or so, at which point the grand total amount of feats is around 6-8 for most.

A small update/tip: After 1.1 got installed (I didn't have the beta), I now suddenly had to manually click the "rations" button in the top corner of the resting screen to actually use the rations and rest in a dungeon (hunting wasn't possible). This used to be automatic, so I just wasted 9 hours in-game basically just skipping time.

Yep, but I like this change better - previously, the ration was preselected for me and I've been wasting it when I wanted to hunt if I don't remember to change/untick it.

Last edited:
Yeah, all classes get at least 1 feat every two levels. So 10 feats overall (11 for humans).

But several classes get more feats, e.g., fighters, or rogues with an additional feat every two levels.

(edit: too slow :p)

The Feats at level 11 are cool. Critical Focus, Wings (for my Aasimar), Finesse Training weapon selection with Nok-Nok, etc.. It's actually hard to figure out what to pick, in a good way lol.

Performance-related tip: If the game gets laggy or choppy, or the performance dips a bit, try restarting your computer. This fixes any sluggish performance, at least for me.

And Overhead Chop seems bugged in my game. I'm not getting double strength bonus on damage rolls with Amiri. :( Anyone tested this in 1.1?

Last edited:
Did you check the combat log?

Back
Top Bottom