Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Gameplay and Beta

Hopefully @purpleblob; will give us details. She's normally really shy about sharing her opinion on party-based games with romance options ;)

I will be working on a preview once I finish the beta but it will be a while since I'm very busy at the moment (I only have about 6 hours a week to play beta) :/

I just went for it.

I'm enjoying it a lot but won't go past the first act I think otherwise I wouldn't play the game again when it gets released.

I'll add some impressions once I play a bit more.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I just went for it.

I'm enjoying it a lot but won't go past the first act I think otherwise I wouldn't play the game again when it gets released.

I'll add some impressions once I play a bit more.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I strongly recommend you to join discord for additional information - at least to get access to list of current known bugs.

If you included discord information on the backer portal, you should get access to beta chat on discord. Otherwise, you can just PM me on discord and I can sort that out for you.

Apart from the bugs, is the game heading in a good direction? Is it fun when it works and does the story seem good?

Apart from the bugs, is the game heading in a good direction? Is it fun when it works and does the story seem good?
What I've seen was very good so far. The story is interesting and starts very strongly, the companions are interesting and their story is deep enough, they seem to have varied quests. There is a very large choice of classes / subclasses, the UI has seen a few improvements though it's still WIP.
Visually the quality has increased, but the voice-acting isn't there yet so it's hard to say.

I can only see or foresee improvements vs Kingmaker. It should also be less lenghty, which is good, I hope the ending feels better but we'll see.

But I'm not very far so @purpleblob; will surely have more to say (at least from the alpha), and probably @Pladio; and @wolfgrimdark;?

What I've seen was very good so far. The story is interesting and starts very strongly, the companions are interesting and their story is deep enough, they seem to have varied quests. There is a very large choice of classes / subclasses, the UI has seen a few improvements though it's still WIP.
Visually the quality has increased, but the voice-acting isn't there yet so it's hard to say.

I can only see or foresee improvements vs Kingmaker. It should also be less lenghty, which is good, I hope the ending feels better but we'll see.

But I'm not very far so @purpleblob; will surely have more to say (at least from the alpha), and probably @Pladio; and @wolfgrimdark;?

Thanks!

Sounds good. I enjoyed kingmaker, but the last 25% a lot less. Especially once I understood where it was heading and it felt more like I was finishing side quests to make sure I wasn't underpowered, and not because it was interesting from a story perspective.

I enjoyed kingmaker, but the last 25% a lot less. Especially once I understood where it was heading and it felt more like I was finishing side quests to make sure I wasn't underpowered, and not because it was interesting from a story perspective.
Exactly. I … never finished it. I'm at the House of the Edge of Time, where I've already killed almost all enemies (I think), but I've been postponing it for months. It would be nice to see the end, though.

I like the combat part and the occasional large dungeon, but final bosses on top of legions of enemies are less my thing, I'd rather have that optional. I think the whole affair was just too long for my taste, but I love the game nevertheless. :)

If you liked Kingmaker, you should love Wrath of the Righteous. The story is atmosphere is a bit darker, maybe.

I'm really looking forward to this game. As usual, I won't touch the beta because I don't want to spoil myself before the final product is released, I really want to go fresh and blind into the new world that Owlcats is offering, but I am getting really good vibes from what I hear. The fact that there is TB mode just adds to my excitement as well.

This year is really looking great in terms of excellent RPGs. :)

I've started playing for a few hours. The game looks like it's very similar to PKM for now. So if you enjoyed that you're likely going to enjoy this one too.
The story is a bit darker, but I'm playing Good for now.

I have been testing out turn based combat and I find it much more fun to play that way but I'm concerned the encounters are balanced for RTWP so I think there'll be too much of it to remain in TB combat all the time.

Luckily it's easy to switch around, so I'll be probably start fights in TB then move to RTWP if they're too easy.
I might play the game on very hard once it comes out and play in TB all the way through.

I just got out of the prologue I think and I'm in a lot of conversations. I think they could pace those a bit better, but might be too late for that.

@purpleblob;, are there any timed quests like in KM ?

There is 1 timed quest in WotR currently (in chapter 1) as far as I know. The time sensitivity will be in WotR for sure - for example, army management has weekly objectives you need to meet, so you can't just sit there and build army for years etc. Not sure if companion quests are timed at this point - I don't remember hearing anyone failing due to time limit.

As Redglyph said, WotR is better than Kingmaker in every sense. Owlcats have included quite in-depth and dynamic tutorial as well so it should be handy for newcomers as well.

Still need more polish since its at beta stage but looking great so far.

There is 1 timed quest in WotR currently (in chapter 1) as far as I know. The time sensitivity will be in WotR for sure - for example, army management has weekly objectives you need to meet, so you can't just sit there and build army for years etc. Not sure if companion quests are timed at this point - I don't remember hearing anyone failing due to time limit.

How will I know which one it is ?

The one you will have failed after waiting too long. :cool:

I'm not sure how I feel about the army management. It sounds similar to the kingdom management in Kingmaker with having to meet certain deadlines, etc.

I was hoping this would be more of a traditional adventure in the vein of Baldur's Gate and similar games where we could focus on the adventuring and not have to worry about timed events.

I'm not sure how I feel about the army management. It sounds similar to the kingdom management in Kingmaker with having to meet certain deadlines, etc.

I was hoping this would be more of a traditional adventure in the vein of Baldur's Gate and similar games where we could focus on the adventuring and not have to worry about timed events.

I think those who like HoMM style combat will enjoy army management a lot. I haven't played far enough to reach that point in beta but in alpha, most of these objectives involved army battles.

I think those who like HoMM style combat will enjoy army management a lot. I haven't played far enough to reach that point in beta but in alpha, most of these objectives involved army battles.
I really like Heroes of Might and Magic, so I hope this will be a fun addition to the formula, and won't be a semi decent distraction like kingdom management was.

As Redglyph said, WotR is better than Kingmaker in every sense. Owlcats have included quite in-depth and dynamic tutorial as well so it should be handy for newcomers as well.

Still need more polish since its at beta stage but looking great so far.
Oh yes, those dynamic tutorials are very helpful! For example I shot an enemy with a ranged weapon, and got a -4 penalty, and wondered why. Then a pop-up appeared explaining that I tried to shoot an enemy who was in a melee combat, and I needed such feat to overcome that penalty.

They've pinpointed these little catches that are not always obvious to everyone, and the first time you get that clear explanation.

They also show when gear cannot stack ability bonuses. Those little things make life much easier, Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous have the clearest interfaces I've ever seen in a CRPG. :)

Back
Top Bottom