Wizardry - Drecom acquires Copyright and Trademark Rights

Of their many lawsuits against their former publisher it was for Wizardry 8 in the state of New York that they got the $30k remaining in escrow for it (though they argued for $150k) and that seems to be for the price of the IP. Personally, I don't why they didn't try and get the judge to rule they remained the owners.

Eh? I would have thought the Wizardry IP was worth a hell of a lot more than that. How the mighty have fallen…

I think their model might be something like Etrian Odyssey, which was basically a tablet game.

I actually bought a 2DS *just* to play the Etrian Odyssey series. It works out really well with the graph/map on the tablet side and the gameplay on the main screen; I was surprised at how much I liked it since I'm primarily a PC game player. I think the only game I've played on my PS4 in the past year is Persona 5, I never really got into any games on the Switch or X-Box platforms.

If they manage to do something like the latest DS2 Etrian Odyssey games I'd be thrilled. Unfortunately, I don't trust that they'll be able to pull that off. For whatever reason Japanese developers seem to have just churned out REALLY OLD versions of dungeon blobbers in the "Wizardry" genre. That last Wizardry game on Steam, for example, that came out a bit ago. That was... not good, compared to Wizardry 8.

If only D.W. Bradley could come back to make a Wizards & Warriors game (Wizards & Warriors 2 anyone ?)

If only D.W. Bradley could come back to make a Wizards & Warriors game (Wizards & Warriors 2 anyone ?)

If he could manage to make it without it being a bugfest this time, sure. :)

W&W wasn't a bad game imo, but it was a joke from a technical standpoint.

One of my favourites in party-based blobbers. Dungeon designs are still one of the best in this genre. To run it on modern systems was a pain in the ass one or two years ago. But thanks to dgvoodoo2 and gog, you can install and play it easily. Recommend it to those who hasn't played it yet.

D.W. Bradley made 2 PC games, and I played them both through at least twice. But the problem was as @JDR13; points out is that both games were both basically unfinished at release, and can only be played in their current quality due to massive amounts of post game patching. This pretty much ruined Bradley. If someone would like to hire him as a writer, and put him in charge of the pen&paper basis of a game, that would be fine, but don't let him program/manage programers/direct the project.

I actually bought a 2DS *just* to play the Etrian Odyssey series. It works out really well with the graph/map on the tablet side and the gameplay on the main screen; I was surprised at how much I liked it since I'm primarily a PC game player. I think the only game I've played on my PS4 in the past year is Persona 5, I never really got into any games on the Switch or X-Box platforms.

If they manage to do something like the latest DS2 Etrian Odyssey games I'd be thrilled. Unfortunately, I don't trust that they'll be able to pull that off. For whatever reason Japanese developers seem to have just churned out REALLY OLD versions of dungeon blobbers in the "Wizardry" genre. That last Wizardry game on Steam, for example, that came out a bit ago. That was… not good, compared to Wizardry 8.

Yeah, it seems like both Wizardry:Labyrinth of the Souls (2009 initial release) and the Elminage series (started 2008) were released shortly after the success of Etrian Odyssey and both of those initally targeted older consoles and handhelds just like EO did. Its funny that Etrian Odyssey which was more financially successful and has more critical acclaim never made it to the PC, while its copies did.
I personally like both Elminage games. They're not Wizardry 8, but pretty good old style dungeon crawlers, if you like that sort of thing.
The developers of Wizardry:LOLS were the only ones who were licencing the Wizardry name. But developers licencing a classic name (just think of Jagged Alliance) think this makes up for a lack of quality, whereas developers creating their own franchise, but borrowing heavily from a classic game, are often the ones doing the better job, since they don't assume that they have customers because of a name, nor do they have to pay for a licence out of their budget.

Eh? I would have thought the Wizardry IP was worth…a lot more than that. How the mighty have fallen…

I agree. The judge ruled according to the 3rd party appraiser Sir Tech hired instead of the two creators whom he recognized as "experts" (if you ever had to sign a salary arbitration waiver at a new job you know who this favors). Why they didn't got with the previous sales figures I don't know.

The escrow was for the Sir Tech's original bankruptcy not for any Wizardry 8 sales. The release of Wiz8 is what triggered that round of lawsuits in New York.

I agree. The judge ruled according to the 3rd party appraiser Sir Tech hired instead of the two creators whom he recognized as "experts" (if you ever had to sign a salary arbitration waiver at a new job you know who this favors). Why they didn't got with the previous sales figures I don't know.

The escrow was for the Sir Tech's original bankruptcy not for any Wizardry 8 sales. The release of Wiz8 is what triggered that round of lawsuits in New York.

Previous sales of a product using a certain IP are not solid indication of future value of the IP itself. Too many other variables.
Software appraisers comparing actual 'like for like' sales of IP's VS rampant speculation by invested 'experts' based on future products is a much better way of defining actual value.

At this stage of the lawsuits they weren't discussing 'market value' anyway, it was recovery/liquidation value. Related example - How much would Maxis sell for today after decades of no releases and stagnated IP? A hell of a lot less than the bloated tag it was acquired for in the first place.

Last edited:
Previous sales of a product using a certain IP are not solid indication of future value of the IP itself. Too many other variables.
Software appraisers comparing actual 'like for like' sales of IP's VS rampant speculation by invested 'experts' based on future products is a much better way of defining actual value.

At this stage of the lawsuits they weren't discussing 'market value' anyway, it was recovery/liquidation value. Related example - How much would Maxis sell for today after decades of no releases and stagnated IP? A hell of a lot less than the bloated tag it was acquired for in the first place.

Right - and it's confusing. Why would they just let their IP get stolen? AFAIK they didn't sue in Canada to stop the sale to Japan.

Back
Top Bottom