Dark Alliance - Announced for 2021

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The third-person action role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance will be released 2021:

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance is an upcoming third-person action role-playing game developed and published by Tuque Games. It is the third main game in the Dark Alliance series, itself based on the Dungeons & Dragons tabletop role-playing system, and is a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II. The game was originally slated for release on PC and consoles in fall 2020, but this was later changed to 2021.

Gameplay

It is set in the tundra region of Icewind Dale, and will feature characters from R. A. Salvatore's novel series The Legend of Drizzt, including the four playable characters: Drizzt Do'Urden, Catti-Brie, Bruenor Battlehammer, and Wulfgar. The game will include both single-player and multiplayer modes. In the single-player mode, the player can choose any of the four characters to control, and swap between them. The multiplayer mode will allow for split-screen local co-op or online co-op for up to four players.
More information.

I'm getting the same vibes I got from Sacred III. Man I hate character switching.:(

I'm always glad to see more D&D stuff coming to PC, but I can't say I have much interest in this. I tried the original Dark Alliance on PS2 back in the day and was sorely disappointed.

Yea, if this is the port or remaster of that rubbish I want it to be my next neverheard.

The Dark Alliance family of Snowblind Engine games (also two Everquest themed ones and Justice League Heroes, although the latter was rather lacking) were excellent technical show-pieces on console (emphasis "on console"). As single player games they were basically just average action rpgs with little to distinguish them except some pretty lighting/graphics effects.

Where they excelled was in couch co-op. They were some of the best co-op games going - I've played them with (completely) non-gamer parents through to my girl-friend / fiance / wife (our courting was basically a mammoth series of Snowblind games!). Now, this may make me a touch biased, but equally they worked as pick-up-and-play hack and slash, or more deep gear/build-focussed play depending on who you were with.

I hope there's some of the same magic in this new one, but I'm not expecting much. No-one has really cracked bringing that formulae to 3rd person / modern engine, so I'll wait and see on this one. The closest I've played recently was Vikings: Wolves of Midgard, but that was a bit lacking in terms of classes/build variety.

Last edited:
Better not be a crap port of the old playstation game by the same name and theme.

I never played the original Alliance game, but I knew some people that had and none of them cared for it. So I'll join with the crowd here hoping that this upcoming title has nothing to do with that past product.

It's not a port or a remaster. It's a third game in the series or a "spiritual successor" according to the newsbit.

It sounds like the same hack & slash action-RPG gameplay as the first two. Only difference is this takes place in the Icewind Dale region and let's you play as Drizzt and his crew.

Yes, any computer game that relies on other media for its success (in this case 30-year-old R. A. Salvatore novels) is probably due for some healthy skepticism.

Only way seeing me play this is together with my old crew in multiplayer and a lot of beer.

This is the one with the trailer that had heavy metal music and potentially vomit inducing camera movement, right?

It looked kinda cool. Very actiony tho.

This is the one with the trailer that had heavy metal music and potentially vomit inducing camera movement, right?
The characters face bobbing in front of the camera as they ran; Totally EXTREME and one of the dumbest trailers yet!
That approach worked for Dragon Age so it probably did its job x_x

Had fun with the console games back in the day and still have copies for xbox and ps2 so hope they do the game justice

RA Salvatore's Involvement in Dark Alliance is Huge - GameRant
It's unclear for now when DnD: Dark Alliance will release. The game was originally going to premiere in fall of 2020, but was pushed back to 2021. Tuque Games hasn't had much to say about the game recently, so players are left wondering when Drizzt's next adventure will arrive. In a year defined in large part by game delays, it wasn't surprising, but that doesn't mean fans want to wait forever. DnD players and RPG fans in general are always looking forward to their next adventure. Considering how well Dungeons and Dragons is doing in the last few years, odds are good that this game will attract a lot of players.

Back
Top Bottom