Horizon Zero Dawn - Now on GOG

The game opens up dramatically after the prologue. Before you know it, you'll have more land to explore than you know what to do with.

How did you get the impression that this is an action-adventure game?
I watched the gameplay on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It's heavy on the action part, but it's at least as much of an RPG as games like AC: Odyssey.
That sounds good. Should have perhaps played it before AC:V then...

Well you obviously didn't watch very much. :)

It's heavy on the action part, but it's at least as much of an RPG as games like AC: Odyssey.
I only played the original assassins creed and thought of it even more action adventure

There's a huge difference between the original AC and AC:Odyssey.
They're the only games of there series I've played.

I only played the original assassins creed and thought of it even more action adventure

Like Morrandir said, there's a huge difference. The original AC, which is 13 years old now, was a very different game from what that series has become.

Can't comment on that :)

Still think it's an action adventure with some light rpg features in my view :)

I don't know the AC games.

But as a huge Gothic fanboy I would describe it this way:

If you believe that Gothic is an action adventure with light RPG features, then this is surely also true for HZD.

I mean you are saying that leveling with character development, crafting, meaningful side quests, varying types of combat and ways to avoid combat like stealth and possession (and character specialization in such abilities) is only "RPG light". But then most games we use to call RPGs are only RPG-lites…

I don't know the AC games.

But as a huge Gothic fanboy I would describe it this way:

If you believe that Gothic is an action adventure with light RPG features, then this is surely also true for HZD.

I mean you are saying that leveling with character development, crafting, meaningful side quests, varying types of combat and ways to avoid combat like stealth and possession (and character specialization in such abilities) is only "RPG light". But then most games we use to call RPGs are only RPG-lites…
Not really as hzd didn't have any cnc as far as I could tell. Maybe I'm wrong but for me cnc is a major element of rpgs.

Gothic had mutilple ways of solving even some of the most mundane quests like getting a sword from a merchant.

Not really as hzd didn't have any cnc as far as I could tell. Maybe I'm wrong but for me cnc is a major element of rpgs.

Gothic had mutilple ways of solving even some of the most mundane quests like getting a sword from a merchant.

I agree with respect to CNC with consequences for the story. There is nothing of that. But for example to be able to solve quests in different ways (e.g. violently or non-violently) or to specialize your character in different ways are also a kind of CNC in my view.

Still you are right that Gothic is much better in this respect. But the request for CNC is quite young as a (main) RPG criterion. Most really old classic RPGs don't have it either. Also most diablo clones dont't have CNC (not saying that HZD is similar to a diablo clone, it is in fact quite different, for example you are not in constant stress of fighting through hordes of enemies like in most diablo clones - in fact you can wander around nearly the complete world without fighting).

Something completely different: For me HZD was the first game with a post apocalytic setting, which has a beautiful, colorful world. If you forget all the machines you feel like in an America before the Europeans arrived. I like that touch very much. :cool:

What strikes me with Horizon Zero Dawn is the looks and the setting.
It really fascinated me from the first moment on when I saw these walking ... thingies ...
Combat doesn't matter much to me, but rather story and setting/look does.

I agree with respect to CNC with consequences for the story. There is nothing of that. But for example to be able to solve quests in different ways (e.g. violently or non-violently) or to specialize your character in different ways are also a kind of CNC in my view.

Still you are right that Gothic is much better in this respect. But the request for CNC is quite young as a (main) RPG criterion. Most really old classic RPGs don't have it either. Also most diablo clones dont't have CNC (not saying that HZD is similar to a diablo clone, it is in fact quite different, for example you are not in constant stress of fighting through hordes of enemies like in most diablo clones - in fact you can wander around nearly the complete world without fighting).

Something completely different: For me HZD was the first game with a post apocalytic setting, which has a beautiful, colorful world. If you forget all the machines you feel like in an America before the Europeans arrived. I like that touch very much. :cool:

Oh yeah, it looks like an amazing game. I was just giving it my classification. I know everyone's definition is different of course, but to me this type of game is slightly less interesting than other action oriented rpgs because it's missing some key elements such as CNC.

I know that some older games considered RPGs by many may not have any CNC, but to me those games either aren't RPGs or are precursors to RPGs so still deserve to be called it because of the time they were released.

When I first started playing RPGs I would have called Diablo an RPG certainly. Now I feel it's more of a hack'n'slash which they did also call those type of games during those times.

It's an action-RPG. You gain experience to level up, you have skill trees, there's a crafting system, you take on quests from NPCs, you upgrade your gear, there are dialogue choices, etc. etc.

It's really not even debatable.

It's an action-RPG. You gain experience to level up, you have skill trees, there's a crafting system, you take on quests from NPCs, you upgrade your gear, there are dialogue choices, etc. etc.

It's really not even debatable.

Apparently it is debatable :)

The pot calling the kettle black.:lol:

thumb_here-ya-go-little-fella-butt-cream-a-lot-of-21186280.png

I find the game limited. You have 3 basic classes, a dozen or less weapon choices (with limited upgrades), a handful of outfits, etc. The game is an obvious console port and it tells. It feels like Witcher 3 with all the limitations to skills, class, gear, protagonist,etc.

A single character that you can play and it's named. I'm not really sure Aloy is female. She acts like a dude and her father figure is an absolute douche that I wish she would have killed. Follow! Heel! Stay! Good boy…um girl…um robot creature. No real romance though a few dudes try to romance her and the one she seems to like is a mommy's boy.

I think I like the lore overall and wish there would have been much more of that in the early going. If this was a game about collecting technology and then using it I'd be more stoked.

Don't hate the game, but I find the console limitations….limiting. The biggest thing that makes no sense is that none of the monsters would pose a challenge to present day troops. There is nothing Aloy can't kill with simple weapons, so how did they wipe out mankind? Is that explained later? One railgun would pretty much win against anything in the game.

I think this is one I'll play off and on. I get tired of the tedious combat but then I'll come back in 3 hours and play for another couple. Even though I listed all the dislikes above, the one thing that is wonderful is the graphics. As a walking simulator this game is pure eye candy. In fact, if I could turn off all the robots, I'd probably play longer :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom