Gothic Problem with system pack

Hammer of Innos

Traveler
Hey guys,

I used to play Gothic back in the day (finished the game 3 times)… the other day I felt that I should go pack and play it again (well who doesn't), but as I didn't have my old CDs, I picked it up on Steam's sales.

I wanted to play the game on higher resolutions + I was looking for some mods/texture packs/etc. I looked on WoP a bit, and I saw Gothic 1's system pack (Here). But for some reason I couldn't install it, here's what I did:

First I installed the patch (1.08), although I think the Steam version was already patched, then I installed the player kit but after that when I tried to install the system pack (g1classic-systempack-1.1.exe), for some reason I couldn't click on install (as seen in the picture)

2zp85qd.jpg

I tried other destinations (like …\Steam\steamapps\common\Gothic) but I still couldn't click on install… am I doing something wrong? Anyone has faced the same problem?

And one more thing, what Mods/texture packs/etc. do you suggest for a more enjoyable experience for both Gothic I and Gothic II?

Thanks.

This same thing happened to me, recently to boot, but I can't for the life of me remember what I did to solve it! Search around a bit and you should find how to figure it out.

The little I do recall, it had something to do either with all the files being saved in the proper folder, or perhaps the Gothic .exe file being renamed or something. Really sorry I can't help more. My memory is terrible! :(

This same thing happened to me, recently to boot, but I can't for the life of me remember what I did to solve it! Search around a bit and you should find how to figure it out.

The little I do recall, it had something to do either with all the files being saved in the proper folder, or perhaps the Gothic .exe file being renamed or something. Really sorry I can't help more. My memory is terrible! :(
No problem, I'll see what I can do.
Thanks for the reply :)

BTW what texture pack/mod do you suggest?
I know with windows 8 you have to go in and change the res so you can play it in full screen.

http://addictedgamewise.com/gothic-0-making-the-game-work-on-windows-8/
Thanks but I've got Win7 64bit.

Honestly, I'm playing Gothic II right now and I don't suggest any texture pack or graphics enhancer. It still looks great with a very nice art direction and style. For the first Gothic game, perhaps you can get the texture pack that uses Gothic II textures, which are a bit more detailed and higher res than Gothic 1's normal textures. That said, I think these games can definitely still be enjoyed today without any modification.

Oh, but Vurts graphics mods for Gothic 2 look amazing, if you really must upgrade the graphics.

Good luck! :)

I know I can enjoy the vanilla version, I was just curious that after all these years, there might be some great mods out there which I'm not aware of…
For the first Gothic game, perhaps you can get the texture pack that uses Gothic II textures, which are a bit more detailed and higher res than Gothic 1's normal textures.
You mean Freddy's texture pack? If not, can you link me to the one you mentioned?

Thanks.

Yeah, I think Freddy's texture pack is the one. I played G1 and G2 unmodded, though, but if you need graphical updates, Freddy's pack and Vurt's G2 mods should help.

Nice to see some people picking up these gems again. Great games.

Back
Top Bottom