Lord British Ultimate RPG countdown!

Damn it's not like he some obscure eastern european game designer that we can all hype up....

Damn it's not like he some obscure eastern european game designer that we can all hype up….

I think if he actually does a PC centric single player RPG (or even an ultima online II) there will be considerable Hype. For an online/soical media/mobile endeavour... not so much. Meanwhile, there is plenty of hype for this obscure western american developer, inXile, so you don't need to feel too down...

If he does a "return to the roots" Kickstarter, he's going to get a boatload of cash. His name and that of Ultima is still strong enough to do that.

I'm still waiting for Jon Van Caneghem to ditch EA and do a "Might & Magic, back to the roots" Kickstarter, with emphasis on MM7. I'd practically throw my wallet at that project.

3 hours from now on.

Oh, my, and I wanted to go to town, buying things for the weekend ... :rolleyes:

I think if he actually does a PC centric single player RPG (or even an ultima online II) there will be considerable Hype. For an online/soical media/mobile endeavour… not so much. Meanwhile, there is plenty of hype for this obscure western american developer, inXile, so you don't need to feel too down…

Really? inXile obscure? Bard's tale anyone? the company itself may be knew but who it is run by is not.

Really? inXile obscure? Bard's tale anyone? the company itself may be knew but who it is run by is not.

It was mostly a joke. Nevertheless, Bard's Tale wasn't exactly a huge success, and before the Wasteland Kickstarter I did not really have them on my radar as an interesting RPG developer. The point is, they are not European, and we still like them, so maybe we can have some peace from thy crusade against the unfairness of RPGWatch denizens? ;)

On the kickstarter: is the gameplay footage from Shroud of the Avatar? I realize it would be pre-alpha footage but I didnt like it much. Ill wait and see if I back this.

Here is a statement that he made in an online magazine which got me a bit cautious about this guy and his motives:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-03-08-garriotts-new-rpg-is-the-antithesis-of-mmos

"The player base was saying, we really just want a solo player game. It's fine to play multiplayer, but we really were hoping you'd go build a game with a deep story in it that we couldn't get in the best of MMOs," Garriott said. "I'm itching to do that too, but their motivation is from another angle. It's good to know their angle, because that really changes some of the detail as to how I'll both pitch it and how I'll execute on some of it."

So he is doing an MMO or 'personalised multiplayer' and trying to sell it as a single player.

On the kickstarter: is the gameplay footage from Shroud of the Avatar? I realize it would be pre-alpha footage but I didnt like it much. Ill wait and see if I back this.

Graphically it looks ancient. That won't make me diss it (especially not at this early stage), but it's surprising. Well I watched the pitch and read the page, and I am not particularly excited so far. The main draw seemed to be "no floating exclamation marks, no leading by the nose" - in itself good, but not enough. Interactive world - good, but how interactive, really? Player housing - OK. Crafting - sure.
And well, it's mainly an MMO, no way around it… Well, I'll keep my eyes open, but not really intrigued so far.

I do however love this tier: :D
Thank Lord British and prove your virtue with a $10 donation. If you ever pirated an Ultima game or used an exploit to grief other players in Ultima Online, here’s your chance to repent! For your $10 donation you will receive a clear conscience and Lord British's undying gratitude.

Well backed this already:) Looks good to me:) I'm sure a lot of you won't and I just don't care.

Well backed this already:) Looks good to me:) I'm sure a lot of you won't and I just don't care.

No need to worry about that anyway - it's rising fast, nearly 10% already.

Looks pretty cool. Assuming he can pull off the solo/offline angle, I'm in.

Oh and I read in the comments Garriet said it is not a MMO, but it will have a persistant area of the game that has player housing and such not that will sort of be multiplayer. Where as the rest of the game is a single player game...not sure what to read into that yet.

Oh and I read in the comments Garriet said it is not a MMO, but it will have a persistant area of the game that has player housing and such not that will sort of be multiplayer. Where as the rest of the game is a single player game…not sure what to read into that yet.

From the FAQ:
Will this be a MMO? Can I play with my friends?

Yes, you will be able to play with your friends! Multiplayer games encourage social bonds that go far beyond what can be accomplished in a solo player game. I remember the depth of these bonds in players who met in-game only to get married in real life, how people who died in the real world were deeply mourned and celebrated by their online friends whom they may never have met face to face. Though Shroud of the Avatar won’t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game. We will be describing this in more detail in our upcoming community blogs.

Guess we'll have to wait for further explanation.

Think this should really be front page news...

Physical game components will be available: Cloth map, fictional manuals, trinkets

Well I for one don't want nor need some rags. Oh, don't tell me, he'll sign it personally so that's what "ultimate" means in this case?

Back
Top Bottom