Elder Scrolls Online - Editorial @ Camelot Post

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Camelot Post takes a look at the emperor concept for The Elder Scrolls Online, and calls it wasted potential. So do you agree?

The Elder Scrolls Online Emperor – Wasted Potential

Very few MMO games today release a feature that only 1-2% of the player base can experience. Even the very toughest end-game challenges are enjoyed by thousands and thousands of players. Of course it’s still early days and there could well be more to The Elder Scrolls Online Emperor mechanics but with the currently released information, it seems like they’ve wasted a lot of potential to really tackle the political aspect of the MMO world.
More information.

Mmmm, I'm thinking of roasted rosemary potatoes. ;)
Didn't know you wanted to eat me.:kiss: Anyways the link is updated and all is good move on. So do you agree with the article?

His argument seems to be that it is a bad idea mostly because so few people will be able to achieve it which i think is the only good thing about it.
There is no sense of accomplishment in achieving something anyone can do.
I think it is a bad idea just not for the reasons he seems to think it is, so no i don't think it is "wasted potential" as that implies the idea has some merit.

Last edited:
Yes, let's make everything interesting easily accessible to everyone - that will definitely make a LOT of sense in a game that's supposed to be a long term experience.

Sigh.

Its entitled idiots like this person who are destroying the MMO genre... I have always been a "casual" MMO player and understood that certain aspects of the game will be out of my reach due to my play style. Knowing that actually made my gaming experience more enjoyable!

The developers have stated that the highest ranking player from the Alliance that sacks the Imperial City will be selected as an Emperor but what about the little guy? That lone PvP’er that spends 10 hours a day fighting for the cause, only to lack the ridiculous level of skill required to out-perform every single person on your server.

Most honest gamers will admit to never seeing themselves featured on a high score or leader board table. When was the last time you went undefeated in a run from Division 10 to Division 1 in FIFA Ultimate Team? When was the last time you were considered the best Call of Duty player in your country? Have you ever participated in MMO PvP where you’ve been undefeated in 3 weeks? 99% of players will find themselves with little to no chance of ever experiencing The Elder Scrolls Online Emperor feature.

I agree to that. In my opinion there should be no title given to a single person like "Emperor" at all. Only an AI should have it, imho.

In the SWTOR forums I've ome across a type of person who is just an "Eliticist". He (seldom "she") would do anything possible to become the pinnacle of that game - even if it encompasses insulting people and using psychological warfare to make sure that there will be less competors to battle against. And they call it with the Euphemism of "trash talk", doing so as if their insulting and bullying "trash talk" was nothing. They even call it "forums-PvP".

Those elitict PvP players have begun to call casual PvP players

- "Bads"
- "Bottom-feeders"
- "Carebears"
- "Window-lickers"

and similar things (they in fact don't often use the word "scrub").

They are the most aggressive and most exploitive kinds of people. They would do anything to make sure that THEY get into a position from which they can look upon everyone else. They are the hooligans of the forums.

In the SWTOR forums there was recently someone going fully ballistic against those "Life Day" items being sold this year again in the in-game "Cartel Market". He was fully against it, because he had "spent millions" for aquiring those items - and fully holds the opinion that no-one else should get these items.
Same goes for the "Rakghul-Event" (which I never saw, because it was before my time.)
And someone argueing in his cause as well simply called everyonean "sycophant".

The best thing is that an "Lex Rileysoph" was created - Bioware kind of bowed before him and said that yes, these "Life Day" items will be "embargoed" in the future … So he got his will … Eliticists rule MMOs …

I agree to that. In my opinion there should be no title given to a single person like "Emperor" at all. Only an AI should have it, imho.

In the SWTOR forums I've ome across a type of person who is just an "Eliticist". He (seldom "she") would do anything possible to become the pinnacle of that game - even if it encompasses insulting people and using psychological warfare to make sure that there will be less competors to battle against. And they call it with the Euphemism of "trash talk", doing so as if their insulting and bullying "trash talk" was nothing. They even call it "forums-PvP".

- "Bads"
- "Bottom-feeders"
- "Carebears"
- "Window-lickers"

They are the most aggressive and most exploitive kinds of people. They would do anything to make sure that THEY get into a position from which they can look upon everyone else. They are the hooligans of the forums.

In the SWTOR forums there was recently someone going fully ballistic against those "Life Day" items being sold this year again in the in-game "Cartel Market". He was fully against it, because he had "spent millions" for aquiring those items - and fully holds the opinion that no-one else should get these items.
Same goes for the "Rakghul-Event" (which I never saw, because it was before my time.)
And someone argueing in his cause as well simply called everyonean "sycophant".

The best thing is that an "Lex Rileysoph" was created - Bioware kind of bowed before him and said that yes, these "Life Day" items will be "embargoed" in the future … So he got his will … Eliticists rule MMOs …

I don't get your argument or the quote you posted.

Basically you are saying that everyone should have the chance to become an "Emperor" in this game or only the AI should have that title?

I have always been a "casual" MMO player and understood that certain aspects of the game will be out of my reach due to my play style. Knowing that actually made my gaming experience more enjoyable!

Unfortunately, few people understand this.

Just like few people understand that MMO are persistent that live on when your are not online. You are going to miss things, that's how a persistent living world works and temporary events are what make the world living.

- "Bads"
- "Bottom-feeders"
- "Carebears"
- "Window-lickers"

I can tell you haven't been to a lot of MMO with a hint of PvP forums. They haven't begun to call others that disagree with them like that, they have been doing that since UO released in 1996. Although, Carebears was coined by a EvE Online player (and I can't wrap my mind around it, because as far as I remember the Carebears always won against the selfish bad guys, but whatever).

Being an Elder Scrolls enthusiast with no interest in MMO gaming whatsoever, my opinion might be rather irrelevant in this thread, but the Emperor idea seems like a good thing to me. A tiny step towards true multiplayer gameplay.

And why just the Emperor? In a typical Elder Scrolls game, the player can become head of most every guild and faction simultaneosly, which makes little sense in a single player game and much less sense in a multiplayer game. Why not make those positions exclusive too?

My main gripe with the MMORPG genre is that it mostly provides single player gaming in a social but less immersive environment. A true multiplayer game would have no NPCs at all and exclusive roles would seem like a move in that direction.

I have to say I find some MMORPGS very immersive, depending on what classess are available and how you can express their personality in the company others. In wow I had a great time playing a completely nuts and very enthusiastic gnome warrior (with the biggest axe I could find) and a guild that accepted her silly ways. I quit WOW years ago for other reasons. In Lotro, which I currently play, I have a hobbit warden I really care about. But that's just the way I play those games (for some reason I never seem to reach end level, I concentrate on just being there)

> A true multiplayer game would have no NPCs at all and exclusive roles
Now that would be an interesting setting.

pibbur who looks forward to ESO, and who is quite happy with never being elected emperor.

Unfortunately, few people understand this.

Just like few people understand that MMO are persistent that live on when your are not online. You are going to miss things, that's how a persistent living world works and temporary events are what make the world living.

I can tell you haven't been to a lot of MMO with a hint of PvP forums. They haven't begun to call others that disagree with them like that, they have been doing that since UO released in 1996. Although, Carebears was coined by a EvE Online player (and I can't wrap my mind around it, because as far as I remember the Carebears always won against the selfish bad guys, but whatever).

Also these people don't seem to understand that if anyone like the "little guy" or "lone Pvper" can become "Emperor" then the word has no meaning anymore.

Back
Top Bottom