DA:O Stingy, stingy game-very mild spoilers

Dragon Age: Origins
Hm. According to my character stats page, though, the damage I "officially" deal with my axe, is quite a bit higher than what I deal with my dagger. (Both of them heavily enchanted, of course.)

The "official" damage numbers dont take into account things like backstab damage, crit hits & probability, armor penetration, striking speed in general, all that. Plus, if you toss poison in the mix - ouch, you realize that the base attack specs on a weapon are only the beginning.

I'm not one to sit and crunch too hard on the numbers personally, alls I know is that Draconia hits hard enough to be decapitating fools left and right. I also know she's dealing major damage because the enemy often turns and aggros on her after a few hits instead of keeping on the main tank. Which by the way, looking at Alistair's character specs, he would appear to be doing more damage w/ that big weapon, attack stat, and all that STR. Taken at face value, of course,

Last edited:
I'm 8th level and I'm still using the Acolyte Staff that I got during the mage origin story.

Are you sure you're using the Acolyte staff, or the one you got for finishing the test? IIRC, the Acolyte staff is a cheap mundane staff you can have a half dozen of after wandering around a bit. I sold 4 at least. The other staff (can't think of the name) has a very weak magic ranged attack.

I've found a couple staves, but they lacked that ranged attack, so they're kinda sitting in my pack. I'm at level 4 though.

edit

i was right. its called a magic staff. real imaginative name. at any rate it is better than those acolyte staves you find and should be given to you early on.

Last edited:
I always go for the frost staff you find in the Keep. It's got decent stats, especially if you have frost magic. It also does good damage when shooting.

I always go for the frost staff you find in the Keep. It's got decent stats, especially if you have frost magic. It also does good damage when shooting.

Not everybody finds it worthwhile paying 7 bucks for the keep, though. So far I'm not finding it worth the price TBH.
I've got better armour already, so that staff was about the only worthwhile thing I found there.
I drank the potion, btw, but I don't like the abilities it gives you.

You get different abilities depending on class. Also, you get access to two special vendors once the keep is rebuilt, one of them a weaponsmith that can create Starfall for you (a very good 1H or 2H sword, depending on what you want).

I'd agree that the Warden's Keep isn't worth the money, but then I didn't expect much of it.

But the Starfall sword is about the best 1H Sword you get in the game, so that's always something.

I'd agree that the Warden's Keep isn't worth the money, but then I didn't expect much of it.

But the Starfall sword is about the best 1H Sword you get in the game, so that's always something.

Starfall is only little bit better than the sword you get from killing Gaxkang so Warden's Keep is not really worth getting for that reason.

However the beauty of the game is you can make uber sword yourself and add it to the game if you really want to. Apparently it's not that hard to do :)

Starfall is only little bit better than the sword you get from killing Gaxkang so Warden's Keep is not really worth getting for that reason.

However the beauty of the game is you can make uber sword yourself and add it to the game if you really want to. Apparently it's not that hard to do :)

True enough, and as I said - I don't think the Keep is worth the price either.

However, if you're a min-max'er - trust me - you don't want the next best thing ;)

I'd never go create my own weapons, though, as that would be the same as ignoring the work done by the developers to balance the game. You gotta trust in that, or meta-gaming will take over and ruin your game.

I dunno, some toolset use can really be fun and I dont think dishonest in an otherwise "legit" playthrough. Might be cool to make a sword that's equivelent to one that you scored legitimately, and just have it be the model/name that you want.

That's the way that I played Morrowind. Loved the game itself, but truth be told a lot of the armors were just downright awful looking, especially for a female character. Get a few different awful looking armors put together in a patchwork manner and your character is downright comical looking! So, I'd go into the toolset and just whip me up some cool looking armor, stats limited by the best thing Ive scored. I'm a vain tiger when it comes to how my characters look, I'm gonna be happy w/ it, especially if I'm in the for the long haul w/ a nebulous title such as this.

I dont think that's toolset abuse, that's just tweaking the game asthetics to your liking.

Well, to each his own :)

I prefer the experience intended by the designers - unless something is obviously broken or extremely imbalanced.

For my own stuff, I'd have to do everything by myself instead of adding to an otherwise immersive "fantasy".

Seeing my own stuff would simply ruin my immersion or the sensation of a plausible fantasy.

I dunno, some toolset use can really be fun and I dont think dishonest in an otherwise "legit" playthrough. Might be cool to make a sword that's equivelent to one that you scored legitimately, and just have it be the model/name that you want.

That's the way that I played Morrowind. Loved the game itself, but truth be told a lot of the armors were just downright awful looking, especially for a female character. Get a few different awful looking armors put together in a patchwork manner and your character is downright comical looking! So, I'd go into the toolset and just whip me up some cool looking armor, stats limited by the best thing Ive scored. I'm a vain tiger when it comes to how my characters look, I'm gonna be happy w/ it, especially if I'm in the for the long haul w/ a nebulous title such as this.

I dont think that's toolset abuse, that's just tweaking the game asthetics to your liking.

Didn't you like the look of the Glass armour or Daedric armour in Morrowind? I used always get myself the Glass armour ASAP. I agree, the medium armours all look rather rather nondescript, but I think the Daedric armour looks so nice and mean.

oh yeah, there was some awesome glass and daedric armor, actually I used a mix of basic Imperial from time to time as well w/ them. My character looked awful in the Dwemer and whatever that white one was, looked like her chest was a crab shell!

Ah, you mean chitin, I presume.. yes, to make my carry load lighter, I would always go with light armour though I loved the look of the Daedric armour; and with light armour the cheapest and best (better than leather) to start off with is the chitin.

I think it's supposed to be made from insect shells. (Probably something huge like the silt strider.)

Don't know if it's already been said, but you get a ton of gold in the later 1/5 of the game. I scrimped and saved to get The Rose's Thorn, with Elves and Dwarves still remaining to recruit, but the time I finished both and now on Landsmeet I have around 160g at max, and probably 220ish since the thorn.

Just loot everything, and bide your time, you'll get some great drops and money come the end levels. I have so much gear I don't want to sell atm, that the Warden's Keep DLC is getting more and more attractive.

There are a few chest mods out there already mooninja, if you're wanting the Warden's Keep for just the party chest. Warden's Keep was a fun little dungeon romp for me, so it was worth $7 without the chest.

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting it. I'm a sucker for DLC. I've been in a pseudo holding pattern waiting for a sale price to drop it down fro0m the $7, or at least hoping. I'll probably buy it soon though.

Back
Top Bottom