Diablo 4 - How Diablo 4 is different from Diablo 3

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
VentureBeat talked to Blizzard about how Diablo 4 is different to Diablo 3.

GamesBeat: Let's say I'm somebody who liked Diablo II more than Diablo III. What am I going to see in Diablo IV that's going to make me happy?

Murphy: First off -- lots of things. From an aesthetic standpoint, the aesthetics would hopefully please folks that are fans of that darker, Gothic, a little bit more real, grittier type of setting.

Kim: On the systems side, there's much more added customization options, player choice options, like the skill point system. That allows you to rank up your favorite skills, and as you rank up the skills, you unlock new components to that skill. The talent tree system, for example, even if we're both going the same build, depending on the choice you have made, you'll be playing a bit different, more in line with how you want to play the game.

Item affixes, same thing. We'll have lots of the same item affixes that existed in previous Diablo games. We'll try to improve on that even further. Luis has talked about the plus to skill ranks as an item affix, plus to talent ranks as another type of item affix, and so on. Legendary items are returning, of course. We're trying to make this change where legendary items are the endgame that you're playing with, not the sets. This means I can have that full customization on every item slot in the endgame. That hugely increased sense of customization and choice I have available to me, I think, is one of the biggest draws.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

From an aesthetic standpoint, the aesthetics would hopefully please folks that are fans of that darker, Gothic, a little bit more real, grittier type of setting.

Translation :

"We are following the current fashion in media aesthetics.
Nothing new to worry about."

Well, it is called Diablo 4, not my little pony 4 or Sesame Street 4 :D

There are some decent Alrik games still being made; but mostly on the indie front and you have to pay attention. Alrik should like ghost of a tale, probably undertale, my time at portia, that crafting game that purpleblob plays and several other really decent games that are lighter in tone.

I could really go for an adventure/rpg that looked like a classic disney cartoon. Something like DuckTales would be cool. It's a shame that the big dogs don't want to make a little money instead of all the money. If anyone here has played Cuphead they know what I mean visually at least.

Any discussion about how Diablo 4 is different from Diablo 3 must necessarily acknowledge that overall they won't be very different at all.

I could really go for an adventure/rpg that looked like a classic disney cartoon. Something like DuckTales would be cool. It's a shame that the big dogs don't want to make a little money instead of all the money. If anyone here has played Cuphead they know what I mean visually at least.

Well, if you just want a cartoon look, the South Park RPG did that. Of course, anything but the look is far from Disney.

Well, if you just want a cartoon look, the South Park RPG did that. Of course, anything but the look is far from Disney.

Yeah it can be done that way. I would prefer it not be JRPG style through. Probably more quest for glory with multiple paths and solutions depending on what character you play. It would be nice to see some of these properties being used for RPG games as compared to the usual arcade stuff.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/diablo-4/microtransactions
Twitch streamer Quin69 spoke with Shely at BlizzCon 2019 during a hands-on look at Diablo IV. The streamer asks whether players will just buy a base game, or if microtransactions or a subscription will feature. Shely replies: “Diablo IV will be available as a base game, and […] we’re going to have expansions. You also will be able to acquire cosmetics in the game.”

Quin69 follows up, asking “so, MTX? Is that going to be through some sort of shop?” to which Shely replies, “It’s very early […] but yes.”

Prediction: It won't just be cosmetics. :)

I don't know, it might well just be cosmetics. But in that genre, cosmetics are important to people. People care about their stats, but they also care about how their character looks as they're clicking on enemies 5 billion times. If all the cool looking armors, etc are behind paywalls, that's an issue in itself, even if it has zero to do with anything but aesthetics.

I'm sure it will also be stash space and character slots as well.

I've grown to have no issue with a cosmetics and utility (like stash space, character slots) shop for the next Diablo, seeing as so little support was given to D3 since it brought them absolutely no income besides the single expansion and the character pack they sold. And they confirmed they will not sell power. And that's expected in this sort of game. No way would that fly.

They confirmed they will be releasing the base game, expansions from time to time, and cosmetics. Sounds fine to me, as long as they property support it post launch. And also sounds fine, as long as we get plenty of great cosmetics by default, and they don't reserve the best for the shop. But we shall see. The proof is in the pudding.

I am excited for D4, but it's gonna be some time before we get our hands on it.

And also sounds fine, as long as we get plenty of great cosmetics by default, and they don't reserve the best for the shop.

Why they should not? There are already game like Path of Exile, where all the best looking gear is only in the cash shop instead of being boss drops. Asian MMOs aslo practices this kind of business - 4 or 5 default poor looking armors in game but the real good stuff only in the shop.
And people are buying, even you yourself said that you dont have problem with this business anymore and are grown to it. Why not milk if players are willing to spend money?

Why they should not? There are already game like Path of Exile, where all the best looking gear is only in the cash shop instead of being boss drops. Asian MMOs aslo practices this kind of business - 4 or 5 default poor looking armors in game but the real good stuff only in the shop.
And people are buying, even you yourself said that you dont have problem with this business anymore and are grown to it. Why not milk if players are willing to spend money?

Path of Exile is free to play. Microtransactions are their only way of generating revenue.
Diablo 4 with its microtransactions will be more akin to how WoW does it. If they do it similarly with Diablo 4, I'm fine with that. And I never said I would buy cosmetics. And ideally, I won't have to, unless there's something absolutely amazing. But others might buy stuff. And hopefully that money goes into funding general support efforts.

What I would buy is character slots and stash, like others that tend to use a lot of characters do. If they give enough of that for the general audience (like what they did with D3), I would be fine with them charging for that.

My dream situation would be that they stick to releasing at least 2-3 full blown expansions adding 1-2 characters each. That would be nice.

Path of Exile is free to play. Microtransactions are their only way of generating revenue.

So what? Dont you think they (Actiblizzard) can sell main game for 60$ and then sell best looking outfits in shop for additional money? Like BDO did and people went and bought costumes for 30$ no problem and bought more. Gamers are fine with that now, too late to protest…

I have roughly 2,000 hours into Path of Exile and probably spent less than $100 total. Microtransactions are perfectly fine if content is not paywalled; if some people have an obsession with over-the-top fashion in a game, that's on them.

Microtransactions are perfectly fine if content is not paywalled;

Yesterday it was DLCs, today it's MTX, real money auction houses, early access, ptw - all this is fine by someone and I wonder how far it will go and what will be next?
Basically discussions about money hungry corporations and game devs are pointless because majority of players are willing to spend and will continue to do it whatever will come next.

I knew Alrik would complain about the dark and grim and bloody look of this game...:biggrin:

Anyway, I really like it and the look and dark atmosphere appeals to me.

Back
Top Bottom