RTX 2080 ti specs leaked?

WoW, some partner cards are asking for £1300 for ti edition here in UK, it better coming with fucking blow job at that price....

I am finding it hard to picture this! I find the 35inch too big for desk/chair setup so I can't image how 55inch looks like :)

You say it felt squished but it really isn't right? The amount of world you see vertically is the same in both 21:9 and 16:9? But you see lot more horizontal world in 21:9. This is what I mean you see more in 21:9 compared to 16:9 and not the number of pixels.

The tv is hanging on a wall behind the desk. So I’m 6-8 ft from the tv screen.

No, it isn’t really squished it’s just out of proportion to my eye. It’s so wide horizontally that it feels cramped vertically even though you’re seeing the same amount vertically that you would on 16:9.

Also, you’ll only see more horizontally if the game supports it. Some games will just stretch or put bars on the sides.

It’s the Acer predator x34. It’s an excellent monitor but I just couldn’t adjust to the 21:9 aspect ratio. I can’t even imagine what the 32:9 48” monitor from Samsung feels like.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1CZ7H91436&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Gaming+Monitors-_-9SIA1CZ7H91436&gclid=CjwKCAjwzenbBRB3EiwAItS-u5FXqv9an_udeLGKaPGexL3v-GyUUQ-5odJuOWr_d5cQjsq5s2TFgxoCEbcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Looks like the 2080ti is ready for pre-order already.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/20-series/

Also, looks like Nvidia was one step ahead of us and has been pushing the new techs for a while.

Games that will feature real-time ray tracing include the following, with more to come:

Assetto Corsa Competizione from Kunos Simulazioni/505 Games
Atomic Heart from Mundfish
Battlefield V from EA/DICE
Control from Remedy Entertainment/505 Games
Enlisted from Gaijin Entertainment/Darkflow Software
Justice from NetEase
JX3 from Kingsoft
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries from Piranha Games
Metro Exodus from 4A Games
ProjectDH from Nexon’s devCAT Studio
Shadow of the Tomb Raider from Square Enix/Eidos-Montréal/Crystal Dynamics/Nixxes
"Deep Learning Super Sampling" via the tensor cores.
Games that will use DLSS include the following, with more to come:

Ark: Survival Evolved from Studio Wildcard
Atomic Heart from Mundfish
Dauntless from Phoenix Labs
Final Fantasy XV from Square Enix
Fractured Lands from Unbroken Studios
Hitman 2 from IO Interactive/Warner Bros.
Islands of Nyne from Define Human Studios
Justice from NetEase
JX3 from Kingsoft
Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries from Piranha Games
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds from PUBG Corp.
Remnant: From the Ashes from Arc Games
Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass from Croteam/Devolver Digital
Shadow of the Tomb Raider from Square Enix/Eidos-Montréal/Crystal Dynamics/Nixxes
The Forge Arena from Freezing Raccoon Studios
We Happy Few from Compulsion Games / Gearbox

Will probably require Windows 10 if Microsoft is involved. :/

IIRC, the 1070 is supposed to equal to the old 980 TI. Will this still hold? So we get the new 2070 == 1080 TI?

Yep. By my calculations it will be a little faster.

However, that's just the old measurements. I have no idea what can be offloaded to the tensor core. Even if its just the antialiasing that's still going to add a few more frames-per-second. Could be a decent amount faster where those technologies are supported.

Mechwarrior 5: Mercs with ray tracing sounds pretty awesome. :)

(Though I thought Mechwarrior Online ran pretty poorly so I don't have much faith in those guys at the moment. Also, the lack of local servers in Australia could have been a factor.)

Now, to get things clear (in my head):

This is the next generation. There won't be any GTX11** GPUs?

pibbur

Now, to get things clear (in my head):

This is the next generation. There won't be any GTX11** GPUs?

pibbur

Yes, this is the next gen. I can't swear that there won't be an 11** series, as some sort of budget option, but I doubt it.

There are mutterings among the skeptical techie community that since Nvidia has not shown the usual general performance claims, and focused almost entirely on the performance of their RTX raytracing tech, that perhaps this is marketing cover for the fact that the general performance bump will be underwhelming. We shall see.

I'm skipping this generation of video cards. Most games seem to be running well for me - and the few that have issues are bottlenecked more by the CPU/cores than anything else.

I doubt I'll be upgrading soon, but the next time it will be motherboard/CPU/ram first - and GPU later on.

As for this ray-tracing thing, it sounds cool. But it's hard to tell how quickly games will start using it properly. DX12 was a complete failure in that way - and I've yet to see a game run better with it - at least to a noticable degree.

But, if great games start taking advantage and do interesting stuff with new technology - then I'm one of the first to jump on it. I want my games looking as good as possible.

Yeah, DX12 uptake has been very slow. I think it's partially because a lot of work that is done in the drivers under DX11 is now farmed out to the engine in 12. Potentially, this allows for a more efficient way of doing things, and avoiding many of the bugs that result from crucial functions being blackboxed in the drivers.

In practice, this means the engines having to learn to do more complex tasks, which the driver makers were very good at. As optimal performance on PCs is not much of a priority for them, there hasn't been a great push in this direction. I think it will yield results in time, though.

I am still on 980 TI and it seems to work "fine" for most of the games I play. Hopefully it was last me till the next gen since I really don't want to support Nvidia who are pretty much taking the piss with these prices. They have all the right as a monopoly but I still don't have to like it!

I remember Ray-tracing being talked about more than a decade ago, so it's not a buzzword that's going to make me run out and purchase something for it.

Even if it does make a significant visual difference, I don't expect to see widespread use anytime soon.

I am still on 980 TI and it seems to work "fine" for most of the games I play. Hopefully it was last me till the next gen since I really don't want to support Nvidia who are pretty much taking the piss with these prices. They have all the right as a monopoly but I still don't have to like it!

A 980 Ti is more than sufficient. Before mine failed, I was still running all but 1 or 2 games at max settings.

Anyone have a layman's explanation of Ray tracing?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The way I understand (so could be wrong!) its *real time* simulation of rays of light and how they interact which objects in a scene. So none of the lighting effects are pre-processed. All of this is worked out by the GPU in real time as you move the camera. Since light is everything, this is supposed to give more realist images. This computationally very expensive as each pixel is simulated for this effect and you need beefy GPU to do this hence the new card...

The way I understand (so could be wrong!) its *real time* simulation of rays of light and how they interact which objects in a scene. So none of the lighting effects are pre-processed. All of this is worked out by the GPU in real time as you move the camera. Since light is everything, this is supposed to give more realist images. This computationally very expensive as each pixel is simulated for this effect and you need beefy GPU to do this hence the new card...
Thank you too

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Well, it's sort of a confusing term, because it's used in a variety of ways - and has been around for many, many years.

But, as lostforever said, it's a simulation of how real light works - and generating images based on that, much like our eyes are generating images based on light being reflected.

But it's also a technique used when determining collision in 3D games - and stuff like line-of-sight. As in, you trace a "ray" from something to something else - and you determine if there's a collision there.

Which is a very different thing.

Well, it's sort of a confusing term, because it's used in a variety of ways
Really? Didn't know.

First time I heard about it was when I saw the first Autodesk's Autocad Studio in 90s IIRC. Since then I've never heard anywhere the term being used for something different.

Also, unlike diving sim, sorry, immerse, immersive, immersable, whatever bs, there is absolutely no confusion about what ray tracing means unless one skipped optics related classes at school.

For example this is a potential result of ray tracing on screen (animation studio Brighton), but kill me if any pic can be called "immersive sim":
webPage_image.jpg

Last edited:
Doublepost as it's unrelated to previous one, but related to another of my own in this thread. This:
Raytracing will need years to appear in games. CDpr would be the first to use it, then Square Enix will adopt it for FF16 on PC just like it happened with hairworks. Other companies don't want to invest in new technologies - EA is shifting to phones where hairworks won't happen in a million years, Activision Blizzard is onto patenting scamming methods and Ubisoft is more interested in gaas than upgrading their engine. Bethesda? I'll just say lol.

As CDpr is already releasing a game for the current GPU generation, I really see no reason to go for 2080ti unless you've jumped on the silly 4K hypewagon, bought 4K blurry 5+ms response videowall instead of 144Hz capable monitor and discovered that everything is either upscaled or a slideshow.
I admit being wrong. Square Enix decided to push it right away and shown it during new Tomb Raider game presentation:
https://wccftech.com/tomb-raider-nvidia-rtx-gamescom-demo/
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvid...-tomb-raider-with-60fps-at-1080p-with-rtx-on/
Of course it's new tech and of course it can't be polished in no time:
Shadow of the Tomb Raider’s NVIDIA RTX Gamescom Demo Isn’t Great, But Developers Aren’t Worried
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti unable to run Shadow of the Tomb Raider with 60fps at 1080p with RTX On

PCGamesHardware have shared an off-camera video, showing the game running with real-time ray tracing on an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti. Thankfully, a FRAPS overlay was present and we can see that this new GPU can run the game with 30-70fps.
But let me do some happy dance here because being wrong never felt so good. If this is not goodbye to silly outdated turdstations, dunno what is.

Also, have to share a pic from comments there that has too many means to number at the same time, laughed so hard, dropped from my chair:
fb07a015faeb40dcb626cb1027b69215f19d1753872b59be42fffdf11a0a6eb6.png

Last edited:
To stay in skeptical mode, I think it's quite likely that Nvidia made deals with some big games to push the RTX tech, around the time of the 2080 launch, as part of the marketing drive. We've certainly seen that sort of thing before. Whether RTX has much relevance beyond that, in the short to medium term, remains questionable IMO.

It's not likely but is for sure. The only thing I cannot really understand is why that same nVidia didn't make special series named RTX 2077 and used Cyberpunk for the new tech showoff.

Back
Top Bottom