RPGWatch @ Gamescom - The Sinking City Preview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
I saw two lovecraft inspired games at Gamescom and The Sinking City was one of them.

Frogwares, who are developing The Sinking City, might be better known for their series of Sherlock Holmes games, of which they made several in the past. It is this type of investigation game that they wanted to port to the world of Lovecraft. The focus of the game is therefore on the story, taking place in an open world, where you are looking for evidence, talk to witnesses, cross-reference the evidence, solve puzzles and solve crimes, with some combat thrown in as well.
The game takes place in the partially flooded city of Oakmont, which has several public facilities, such as: city hall, the hospital, the police station, the library, etc. In these places you can cross-reference the evidence you have collected with the archives in these public facilities.
More information.

Time for another week of Gamescom articles. Here is the first one for this week.

You say puzzles? Gimme!

Well... If they don't leave k+m controls in pisspoor state, of course.

Looks like fun, though after having watched the video I think the game might be a bit too scary for my overly sensitive nerves. :)

Looks like fun, though after having watched the video I think the game might be a bit too scary for my overly sensitive nerves. :)

Play it in a well lit room :p I remember having quite a few shocks in CoC:DCotE...but that made the experience amazing. I also tend to leap off my seat when something comes lunging at me...which is why I'd never really enjoy truly immersive horror games :-o I'd be a bundle of nerves

I like some of the ideas but the controls seem really klunky. Were they better when actually playing ?
With the controller the controls were OK. I wouldn’t describe them as clunky. I don’t know how it works with a keyboard unfortunately.

I played one of Frogwares' Sherlock Holmes games, one of the newer ones but not the newest. I don't recall having a problem with m+kb. I do recall thinking it had a nice little mechanic for making connections between evidence gathered and figuring stuff out during dialogue. They also nailed the atmosphere, in general, for Sherlock Holmes.

Back
Top Bottom