JA2 Reloaded - Turn-Based Discussion

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Alrik sends word of a newsletter for Jagged Alliance 2: Reloaded (well, it's not much more than a link to a forum discussion) asking for input into a "modern" turn-based combat system:
Jagged Alliance 2: Reloaded - Discussion: Turn-based combat system 2011
We would love to receive your suggestions and ideas for a modern, turn-based combat system for Jagged Alliance 2: Reloaded. What do you think a modern version of such a combat system should look like? What is wrong with the existing JA2 combat system, what annoys you about it and what must be retained without fail?
We look forward to hearing your proposals, suggestions and ideas.
http://jaggedalliance.com/index.php?id=35&tx_mmforum_pi1[action]=list_post&tx_mmforum_pi1[tid]=101
More information.

How long till someone says, Why don't you make it real time?

JA2 of course isn't 3rd person but it does have a cover system.

It also has that. Albeit fairly slow recharge.

:D

I think you understand we were talking about how so many games are taking the 'let's make it like Gears of War' approach. Or how UFO is becoming a FPS.

Are there people who actually enjoyed Gears? I'm begining to think it's all some sort of cruel hoax. I like FPS games, but wow, was Gears terrible.. it's sad to see how instead of going away from the old horrid "House of the dead" gameplay (where you just push 1 button to shot - the game even walks for you) we're getting closer to it.. Next thing we know those awful FMV games from the 90's are back again in full force..

JA 2 has one of the best turn based combat engines of all time, some improvements were made in JA 2 V1.13 - no need to change anything.

JA 2 has one of the best turn based combat engines of all time, some improvements were made in JA 2 V1.13 - no need to change anything.

There are still a lot of issues in JA2 but we're slowly working them out and improving it.

The AI was the biggest issue in JA2, very easy to exploit. Would be nice if the new AI increased the change of the enemy not charging through doorways when they know you are in there waiting for them and improved their use of counter-measures like smoke grenades.

The enemy AI was not so good at night - throwing a chemlight and the enemies reacted like mothes.

Last edited:
The problem with the AI is that if you make it too good the game will be structurally unplayable.

True, but there is a difference between realistic and unplayable.
going through a door knowing you are going be shot is not realistic.

True, but there is a difference between realistic and unplayable. going through a door knowing you are going be shot is not realistic.

I dunno. My uncles talked about having to "rush" enemy positions in WW2 and they knew they weren't (all) going to make it.

The biggest overall problem with the JA2 AI is that is is completely predictable. If you do X then the response will be Y. Once you know all the major X's and Y's the difficulty is a lot less.

I am actually working on something to make the AI less predictable (and a bit smarter) at the strategic level.

Back
Top Bottom