Project Eternity - Interview @ GameRanx

aries100

SasqWatch
GameRanx has an interview with Chris Avellone on this game. In it, he talks about emergent behaviors, pacing, the system used for dialogues in rpgs, and much much more. Chris Avellone has this to say about romances:
You've stated in the past that you don't like romances in games—at least to the extent that they've been done in games thus far. Were you to implement a romance subplot in Project Eternity, what would it involve?
........So if I were to implement a romance subplot in Eternity - I wouldn’t. I’d examine interpersonal relationships from another angle and I wouldn’t confine it to love and romance. Maybe I’d explore it after a “loving” relationship crashed and burned, and one or both was killed in the aftermath enough for them to see if it had really been worth it spending the last few years of their physical existence chained to each other in a dance of human misery and/or a plateau of soul-killing compromise. Or maybe I’d explore a veteran’s love affair with his craft of murder and allowing souls to be freed to travel beyond their bleeding shell, or a Cipher’s obsession with plucking the emotions of deep-rooted souls to try and see what makes people attracted to each other beyond their baser instincts and discovers love... specifically, his love of manipulating others.
More information.

sheesh.. you'd think he doesn't like romances in games or something :p

I don't think Avellone has ever married, but not positive. I think he's hetero, because he writes about girlfriends several times. Just your basic geek loser :)
It might be hard for this guy to write about a successful romance between man and woman if he's never had a long-lasting relationship. He could also be pretty bitter about the whole thing, which I actually think might be the case. None of this stops him from being an entertaining writer though. I thought the Ming relationship in Alpha Protocol was well done, so if that was Chris, then he can do a good enough job in my book. Still not sure whether they'd have the time to do romance right with all the other stuff they need to fit into PE.

Now Avellone needs to make that cipher subplot happen, there are no two ways about it :).

I wonder when M. Avellone is going to have his tongue surgically removed from his cheek? :)

Back
Top Bottom