Risen 3: Titan Lords - Impressions/Review

How is the combat compared to other open world RPGs?

In the first 15 hours I'm fighting mainly with Sword + Pistol.
(You can't join any of the factions much faster)
What I'm missing is the variety of combat tactics you
a) can use
b) need to use

a) maybe this will be better later in the game (spells, more moves,...)
b) I'm killing the biggest bad ass monsters (Shadow Lords, Swamp Trolls, etc. ) already with melee and health on 40 and standard gear. There's really no need for stealth, spells, ranged or special attacks.

Info: I'm playing with henchmen and normal difficulty.
I'll try the hard difficulty setting soon, but I fear that the combat will only take longer and won't be more interesting/challenging.

So I'm enjoying the quests and the exploration and click the enemies to death :)

So the recommendation is to play the game on hard? And the difficulty can be adjusted on the fly? (like for when / if they patch in more balanced/challenging combat)

I'm probably going to get it even though I haven't paid full price on a game in years. (even Risen 2 was less than a dollar thanks to Humble Bundle). Also my fav PB games are Risen 2 and Gothic 2. So not sure what to expect.

The game is good, definitely better than Risen 2 but not as good as it should be.
The voice acting is the worst in the series and dialog trees are cut.
Maybe this isn't ruining the experience but it gives the game a feeling somewhat cheap and low budget.

Bah.

Low budget is a game that doesn't have the same water/swimming quality like Risen 3 has.
And Bones' voiceover is better than any Skyrim voiceover.

So the recommendation is to play the game on hard? And the difficulty can be adjusted on the fly? (like for when / if they patch in more balanced/challenging combat)

I'm probably going to get it even though I haven't paid full price on a game in years. (even Risen 2 was less than a dollar thanks to Humble Bundle). Also my fav PB games are Risen 2 and Gothic 2. So not sure what to expect.

Difficulty can be changed on the fly, so just start on normal and take it from there. Also, as JDR pointed out: Anyone who enjoyed Risen 2 is very likely to like Risen 3 a lot.

Difficulty has a lot to do with your choice of weapon as well. For my first try - I focused on ranged weapons - and it was a complete pushover, and easily exploitable. As I said, I didn't encounter a single enemy that gave me trouble - and this is from 7 hours of play with lots of 400 Glory enemies. That's not very Gothic-like.

Now, I'm focusing on melee - and it's much more in line with the old Gothics. I prefer it that way - and I like melee, so it's all good :)

Back
Top Bottom