Recommendations for a TB Startegy Title

I'll also say how dull I find CivIV. Lots of pretty graphics and a pile 'o stuff jammed in (long list of techs, units, bldgs, etc.), but just not a lot of substance. It boils down to some very, very simple gameplay dressed up with a whole lot of "stuff" that doesn't really amount to much. And the combat is dreadfully simplistic. That's perhaps the biggest disappointment for me.

I have to agree, though I'm still finding it reasonably fun. While playing, I keep wishing I could mix and match bits of CivIII and CivIV since each have their good and bad points.
CivIV lacks a sense of immediacy, it's very much all about hitting "end turn" and waiting for things to happen. CivIII had a greater sense of strategy, I think. Now granted, I've only been playing with IV for a couple of weeks versus III for a couple of years.
Combat in Civilization has always been simplistic and I agree, it's a low point. More tactical options would be extremely welcome, though Meier has repeatedly said Civ is not a war game.

Right now, my biggest compaint with IV is that I don't really feel the passage of the ages, or that the time spent in them is important, they seem to be there only as phases to get through, as spaces of game time to facilitate tech researching, and that's it, no sense of importance. With CivIII I felt that each period meant more.

I kind of miss the old pervert. :)
That's just because you don't know Rudolf (my current, and former avatar - No. 4 IIRC) as well as I do ;).

Master Of orion is an old classic among AoW fans. I've heard a lot about it, yet I haven't played it ever.

Edit : I just remember I wrote an review of Age of Wonders II at the Dot ...

I dont know why I cannot play the Civ games. I wish I could, it's like sports or something that I wish that I liked so I could talk to other people about it and feel normal. They just dont interest me at all. I tried, I even have Civ III, a friend gave to me to try and hook me, but I just cannot seem to get interested in it!

I played so many games over the years (and I'm still young), a lot of games either took time for me to adjust and want to play them and others are just on the table gathering dust. It's quite normal I believe to like some games and dislike others.

Another good TB game is Risk and its alternative versions. Very nice.

Age of Wonders II is the best strategy game I've ever played. Its better than AOW1 or AOW3 imo. It's also much better than any of the HOMM games (especially the later ones). It features some RPGish elements and it's high fantasy. It's combat is turn based with really imaginative and beautifull units.

I would higly recommend this game.

Is it AoW: Shadow Magic expansion you mean or is Wizard'sThrone equally good? I have that one but got rather frustrated with it--it's been a long time so I can't remember the details but I think it was the interface.

I would recommend Civ4 or Civ3. They're pretty good. The best I've played in TBS/RPG are HOMM 3 and 5. I hated the 4th installment. And Disciples 2, along with it's 3 or 4 addons(don't remember how many).

I've also tried both Age of Wonders, but didn't like them. HOMM impressed me much more. Plus, HOMM5 has a pretty good story. Something I didn't feel in the other HOMMs.

I really enjoyed HoMM 5 and played all the campaigns when I first got it. I thought Nival did a good job of getting the HoMM setup right. But then Hammers of Fate came out with the patch that retro'ed back into HoMM5 and made it too easy, and boring for me. Someday I'll uninstall/reinstall without HoF.

I'll be curious to see how this Tribes of the East expansion stands up.

I really enjoyed HoMM 5 and played all the campaigns when I first got it. I thought Nival did a good job of getting the HoMM setup right. But then Hammers of Fate came out with the patch that retro'ed back into HoMM5 and made it too easy, and boring for me. Someday I'll uninstall/reinstall without HoF.
Me too. I also thought they did a great job. I really liked the character design for the units.

Did HoF introduce the random map generator that was promised?

Oh, and I just remembered another TBS game I found to be really fun. Silent Storm. It's a turn based tactical game, similar in a way to Commandos. Developed by the same Nival.

Oh, and I just remembered another TBS game I found to be really fun. Silent Storm. It's a turn based tactical game, similar in a way to Commandos. Developed by the same Nival.
I haven't played the original Silent Storm, but have played 3 games based on it - Hammer & Sickle (not so good), Night Watch (pretty good) and some of Day Watch (rush-job).

I haven't played the original Silent Storm, but have played 3 games based on it - Hammer & Sickle (not so good), Night Watch (pretty good) and some of Day Watch (rush-job).

Yeah, I heard those were poorly done. You should try Silent Storm. It's much better imo.

Yeah, I heard those were poorly done. You should try Silent Storm. It's much better imo.

The thing I loved about Night Watch was the integration of magic and weapons, which was handled excellently - the combat system was easily the best part.

Best Fantasy TBS is Birthright:The gorgons alliance.

The possibilities for victory are nearly endless in this game and I still sometimes play it to this very day. I have probably finished it at least 10 times.

It does have mixed reviews but it is one of those games that divides people, it has a fanatical fan base.

Last edited:
Possible recommendation :

"Warhammer 40.000 Squad Command"

I just got a newsletter from THQ where it is announced.

But it's only for PSP & DS.

Strange indeed : More & more TB games for portables, less & less for the PC. This just strengthenes my theory that the publishers are building out the image and the position of the PC as an "action-only" platform.

Anyone answer that one? I'm interested, too.

Yes. Actually I think it was introduced in the 1.3 patch released prior to HoF. There are a lot of good fan-made maps for HoMM5 (and the earlier HoMMs also) at Celestial Heavens.

Edit:OOPs. Sorry VPeric. missed your post.

Is it AoW: Shadow Magic expansion you mean or is Wizard'sThrone equally good? I have that one but got rather frustrated with it--it's been a long time so I can't remember the details but I think it was the interface.

Age Of Wonders: Shadow Magic is a stand-alone and basically adds more races and such to what was in Wizard's Throne. Gameplay and graphic-wise, WT and SM are the same.
The biggest problem with the game is (as ususal) the AI. Some of the races have units with a camouflage ability, but the AI can see them and responds accordingly, and the AI also plays very cautiously unless it's clear you are seriously and irredeemably out-gunned.
So playing against the AI usually results in either a really easy game, or a game which you will in all likelihood lose. There may be mods to fix that now, I don't know.
Fortunately it has a very robust multi-player set up, including PBEM and hotseat.

As for the 40K Squad Command, I'm buying a DS for that one (amongst others). I miss Chaos Gate, and Squad Command looks like a nice successor to that game.

I was just playing Freecol the other day. I actually got commented on by my wife for playing games all night.

I had never palyed Colonization before. The inventory management is much more important. This version has little if no sound just to warn you.

Back
Top Bottom