Telltales massive layoffs

They had turned into a game factory anyways. Hopefully this means they will start focusing on quality over quantity.

Seems it's worse than suggested.
https://www.brunerhouse.com/blog/2018/9/21/telltale-closure
Telltale closure.

Today is a very, very sad day.

I left Telltale a year and a half ago after an extended period where the Board of Directors and I had very different visions of Telltale’s future and how we might get there. That was one of the hardest times of my professional life, but in the end the company is controlled by its Board of Directors and I respected their decisions throughout.

As a co-founder...
I guess the 25 that remained will be there to finish whatever contract they still have and then the company will cease to exist.

They've gone from 250 to 25, so yeah, at best they'll be putting some finishing touches on some stuff. Didn't they also lay off about 90 earlier in the year? That was considered around 25% of their workforce at the time, so 360ish to 25 in less than a year - they're goneburger.

I only ever played a few "episodes" of the first season of their Walking Dead game. Can't say I was really a fan... For a game that was all about choices it seemed pretty limited as choices don't matter much (e.g., characters are ultimately going to die no matter no matter what you do)... I mean, I get that with full voice acting having a significant branching paths gets expensive, but I'm someone who'd rather play a text only choice game that has choices with consequences.

But it wasn't horrible or without potential. If some former Telltale employees decide to pitch a CRPG on Kickstarter I might be interested.

I'd think there'd be a good case to try a KS, and reform as Telltale 2.0 in all but name. Maybe come up with their own IP, and carry on.

Fans have been asking Telltale to do an original IP for years. Crowdfunding could save them like it did Obsidian.

They haven't been the same company for a long time - ever since they transitioned from fun and silly Adventure games like Sam & Max. That whole former lucas arts vibe seemed to leave them

Wow, I have to say I'm stunned! I've loved all their games, and I had no idea they were having problem's with sales. I guess it was the licensing cost with each game that killed them? Elsewhere management has been criticised, but how could that cause financial issues?

Sad but hey from what I read from some of the employees about working condition's, added with the poor sales of it's latest games, I can say I'm not surprised.

Now I will never get get to play GOT season two.:(

Three updates in one day.

Link - http://gamasutra.com/view/news/3270...ead_developer_telltale_games_closing_down.php
Update: While Telltale Games representatives have not yet responded to our request for comment and further details, word is spreading that the studio maintains only a skeleton crew (25 people out of what was estimated to be a staff size of ~250 people) to complete work on a single project.

The rest were let go this week, reportedly without any severance, and it sounds as though all of the company's other ongoing projects are in jeopardy or have been cancelled outright, including The Wolf Among Us 2.

Update 2: Telltale co-founder and former CEO Kevin Bruner issued a statement on the closure this afternoon. Bruner was ousted from the company a year and a half ago and is currently suing the studio over his expulsion.

"Today, I’m mostly saddened for the people who are losing their jobs at a studio they love," he wrote. "And I’m also saddened at the loss of a studio that green-lit crazy ideas that no one else would consider. I’m comforted a bit knowing there are now so many new talented people and studios creating games in the evolving narrative genre."

While Bruner's words on the shutdown were nostalgic, a report from March this year cited anonymous Telltale sources who said he was an abrasive credit-hoarder--an accusation that he denied.

Update 3: The official Telltale Games Twitter account announced a "majority studio closure" in a tweet:

"It's been an incredibly difficult year for Telltale as we worked to set the company on a new course. Unfortunately, we ran out of time trying to get there. We released some of our best content this year and received a tremendous amount of positive feedback, but ultimately, that did not translate to sales. With a heavy heart, we watch our friends leave today to spread our brand of storytelling across the games industry."

The tweet also confirms that a small group of 25 employees are staying on to fulfill the company's obligations to its board and partners.

For the time being, the studio is steering clear of officially announcing a complete closure, and will issue comments regarding its product portfolio in the next few weeks.

In a statement to Variety, Telltale partner Netflix was less coy about the situation at Telltale. The company initially stated the following: "We are saddened by the closing of Telltale Games – they developed many great games in the past and left an indelible mark in the industry. Minecraft: Story Mode is still moving forward as planned. We are in the process of evaluating other options for bringing the Stranger Things universe to life in an interactive medium."

Not long thereafter, Netflix evidently amended their statement to Variety so that rather than specifically mentioning studio closure, it instead opens: "We are saddened by the news about Telltale Games…"

Sad but hey from what I read from some of the employees about working condition's, added with the poor sales of it's latest games, I can say I'm not surprised.

Now I will never get get to play GOT season two.:(

Their games were of inconsistent quality, but can't say I did not enjoy a single one.
Anyone played Tales from the Borderlands? Took me by surprise, absolute blast, ton of humor, likable characters, surprisingly good storytelling ( it is Borderlands, after all)
This really is a damn shame, not many games like this around.

Their games were of inconsistent quality, but can't say I did not enjoy a single one.
Anyone played Tales from the Borderlands? Took me by surprise, absolute blast, ton of humor, likable characters, surprisingly good storytelling ( it is Borderlands, after all)
Yeah that one was fun. I played it as I got it free with twitch prime and it surprised me too.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Never played Tales from the Borderlands but the reviews were good. The only reason was because I was growing tired of playing the same game with a different IP.

Yeah, Tales from the Borderlands was probably their best game yet. I liked the first The Walking Dead more, but trying to look at it more objectively, I would rate Tales from the Borderlands higher.

Back
Top Bottom