Which is the best free single player rpg game ?

I've been playing this on and off for years, and even though there's no sign of a single player version anywhere in sight, I still highly recommend it. It's the answer to the "new tech = turn based" arguments made by some proponents, and while it's not armed with the most high tech shenanigans (graphics are only passable), it is a fine example of how turn based mechanics need not necessarily stagnate, and can in fact evolve.

Which is a shame, because the game's earning less than most indie companies, and the developer is only working on this as a part time hobby, so it's got an unpolished feel to it. Nevertheless, updates are fairly frequent; one of the latest updates includes the ability to create your own missions, and another even more recent one lets players race in the wilderness from checkpoint to checkpoint. It'd be really nice though to see this get the attention it deserves. Unfortunately, despite it having received good ratings from journalists (above 7.5/10 as far as I can recall), it has never gotten sufficient media coverage as compared to its indie peers.

-edit- Actually I think phase based would be a better term to describe the game.

Darkwind is another Indie that needs better PR or at least go to sites like these. I only found it because I had an Autoduel craving and searched like mad to find anything that was similar. Took me awhile to find it too. I believe I finally found it through GameTunnel.

Still it wouldn't hurt if the dev visited some forums to let people know about this game. It's quite unique.

BTW, I haven't played in quite awhile. I got an email saying that my gang is starving. Poor guys got such a bad leader. :)

I agree. I'd written in to sites to ask them to feature Darkwind, and while some are good on that (Rampant Games, TIGS), most are just reluctant, which is a shame really, especially since the game is constantly being updated. It even just got a new car (Tractor) recently.

Write in here or PM me when you come across new information. I'll make sure it get some attention.

We normally don't do MMOs here, but this MMO is very unique in that it's difficult enough to drive away the 13 year old idiots, but not so difficult that it gets frustrating. You can also play it as a single player game that happens to have people show up in your races every now and then :)

There is one very bad thing that I did not like about this game. You had to go with people into the wilderness if you wanted to survive. I don't do "teams" and would much prefer to be able to drive out there by myself. That is the only bad thing I can say about this game. Everything else about it was pure enjoyment.

No problem, typing in a PM right now as we speak :)

There are a lot of turn based and rogue like rpg's. Can anybody give me a good game or a list of real time rpg's??

How about Tales of Maj'Eyal: Age of Ascendancy

Personally I enjoyed unlocking achievements, even if I tend to not in any game I play in, each playthrough I was attempting to unlock something and have new type of characters to play with and is for group that didn't tried rogues such as myself.

Runescape Since was mentioned a few mmos I might as well trow one that I sunken in my time

I think it is more distinctive from others, quests definitely not are typical kill x monsters or get x items from monsters but sandbox style and quests reveals part of lore or maybe a twist. As for option you might as well evade combat at all just like UO. There are alot of options even if there is no class or races in game just being a simple baker who will burn the bread in the process or a few apple pies to a fearless hero who will slay abominations and save kindoms using not only his sword.

Deskop Dungeons quick play, puzzle RPG, something different when I tried out and at first it started easy but unlocking achievements was a challenge,some times I had a feeling I failed due to unfair luck or just to not being smart I guess but at the end was a pleasant feeling to be able to beat one .

This one looks interesting but I cant get the darn thing to start. It gets 41% loaded on the start screen and stops. Then when I end task on it, the graphics are all fubar and I have to reboot. Looks cool though

Edit: I got the game to run by creating a file called fbo_active.cfg and putting in the line fbo_active = false

Cool so far, although Ive just been running around in the wilderness killing things

Last edited:
How about Tales of Maj'Eyal: Age of Ascendancy

Personally I enjoyed unlocking achievements, even if I tend to not in any game I play in, each playthrough I was attempting to unlock something and have new type of characters to play with and is for group that didn't tried rogues such as myself.

Runescape Since was mentioned a few mmos I might as well trow one that I sunken in my time

I think it is more distinctive from others, quests definitely not are typical kill x monsters or get x items from monsters but sandbox style and quests reveals part of lore or maybe a twist. As for option you might as well evade combat at all just like UO. There are alot of options even if there is no class or races in game just being a simple baker who will burn the bread in the process or a few apple pies to a fearless hero who will slay abominations and save kindoms using not only his sword.

Deskop Dungeons quick play, puzzle RPG, something different when I tried out and at first it started easy but unlocking achievements was a challenge,some times I had a feeling I failed due to unfair luck or just to not being smart I guess but at the end was a pleasant feeling to be able to beat one .

Ah, I've played ToME, but it is turn based....I guess there are very little real time RPG's after all...!

Back
Top Bottom