Last game you finished, tell us about it

Mages are pretty much relegated to support characters. There's no way to create a mage that rains down destruction. They seem strongest as summoners, healers, buffers, and debuffers. There was also one spell that was key to disabling powerful enemies in a crowd.

That's just the way it is in this world. In Aventuria there usually aren't mages which act like … you are maybe used to from rather "high-fantasy" settings.

There is one exception, though ... Galotta, the infamous mage ... What he did during the "Year Of The Fire" was a bit *too* big for Aventuria ...

There are a few more exaptions, but they are usually far too distant to ever get to know within any game ...

You can consider yourself lucky to be a more-or-less friend of one of the most legendary mages of Aventuria, however ! And the driud caled Archon Megalon is a similar legendary character ... Both are the only ones who would be able to do ... what you might rather consider as "high fantasy magic".

But Aventuria is in general a "low-fantasy world", where magic isn't available like ... in the Forgotten Realms, for example. People in Aventuria rather rely on crafting, and on "small magic", so to say. It is a rather medieval world, more "hands-on", so to say.

Hi to all...
Some favorite game of mine are....
1. Field Runner
2. Bomber man
3. Cristal Maze
4. Bejeweled Quest
5. The Montezuma

I hate practicing necromancy but I don't see why this thread should die.
After buying a new monster rig I just had to play some FPSs for the eye-candy.
So here I go:
Call of Duty 6:Modern Warfare 2
Great game with few to complain about,but I expected no less from a game with such production values.Longer than most COD games and I had a blast playing it.Full of cliches and stereotypes but I enjoyed it's story and wasn't bothered by the stuff that cause controversies.The visuals are top-notch and almost on par with Crysis for most of the game.The gameplay is your typical COD with a few touches here and there and more sniper missions,nothing new but good enough.
Call of Duty 5:World At War
I felt like this was a remake of COD 2 despite the different missions.MW and MW 2 are longer and more enjoyable but this game was solid.Great visuals and the addition of the flamethrower was welcome,although the variety of missions is bigger in all COD games I've played.Raising the Soviet flag over Reichstag must be the best moment in all the Call of Duty games,and is certainly the most satisfying.I haven't touched the Multiplayer Maps as the idea of zombie Germans really put me off.
Crysis
I've completed this one before but going from 800x600 Low Quality to 1860x1050 Very High Quality makes the world of a difference.Apart from the gorgeous views and the meh story I think this game's gameplay is actually underrated.
The constant hide and seek game and the fact that I could use the game's physics(destructible trees,boxes and houses) were new to me and certainly made it better than just storming the place in my nanosuit.The driving and fighting the aliens part was nothing to write home about.The AI was good enough although it I could exploit some of it's weaknesses.All in all a very good game.
Any recommendations for short yet good FPS games are welcome.
I'm playing through Crysis Warhead and then I'll finally play some RPGs!

I have finally packed away my copy of Dragon Age Origins. I tested out all the various character starts, (elf, human, drawf) in every option, just to see how they opened the story with them. Must say it was fun to see ties to other NPC's in the game who would be nothing more then merchants otherwise.
They spent a lot of time setting up the storyline ties for each group and the opening stories were well done.
I then downloaded the mod packs. While there were a lot of great things added I think the equipment you are given is too much. Makes you over powering too soon IMHO. Did not play much after I installed it, but I plan to let my grandson play and will see what it looks like and how it works. So far no problems and all the packs installed fine.

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor
I was introduced to roleplaying games when I was about 8 years old. It was also about then I got my first computer, a Commodore 64. Some of the first games I bought was Ultima I and Pool of Radiance. Unfortunate I was much too young to understand the game then.

Move ahead a few years and I had grown into a enthusiastic gamer. I have moved from Commodore 64 to Amiga. One of the fondest memories I have of this period was of the Eye of the Beholder series, the 2nd game in particular. Like Pool of Radiance Eye of the Beholder was made by SSI and it was also an Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game. This fully introduced me to the wonder of CRPGS. Unfortunally this was also the era in which the genré as we knew it would die out, or at least so it seemed. Even roleplaying itself had problems, TSR was dying, the Swedish RPG market was dying and everything seemed kind of bad for the hobby.

Until Baldur's Gate. Baldur's Gate almost singlehandely ressurected the genré, but now with a very different technology. There was real dialogue now, a long with great 2d and 3d graphics, deep storylines, moral questions and a very genuine RPG feel. For the next few years we experienced the pinnacle of this type, Baldur's Gate alone got several sequels, a long with it's sisters Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. We also got to see the birth of Fallout as well as attempts from other companies who tried to make their version, with more or less success.

One of theese was Pool of Radiance Ruins of Myth Drannor, a sequel to the now ancient title with the same name. It was advertised as the first game that used the latest Dungeons & Dragons system and unlike Baldur's Gate it used 3d technology for characters and spell effects. However, the developers suffered from continous drawbacks and the team was replaced several times throughout it's production. When it was finally released it got mediocre ratings and I was one of those who started it just to let go of it after entering the very first dungeon. After all, at that time there were plenty of other great games to play.

9 years later, the CRPG genré is again suffering. Black Isle is dead. Troika is dead. Bethesda moved the market in the direct opposite direction of what I would have hoped for. Easy digested console games have replaced the hardcore "gotta have much brains" kind of games I used to like. At this stage I started to move back in time to see if there were titles I had forsaken and in the past years I have played plenty of theese, some great ones, some that should have remained forsaken.

I felt I had to make this introduction to give you the reasons why I play one of the longest CRPG's in ages that got always universally bad reviews. At the time I started it, neither Risen nor Divinity II nor Dragon Age had been released. Those titles are waiting for me now, so let's get onto my review.

Story
Since Baldur's Gate, storylines in CRPG's have been a deep affair. From the philosophical questions raised by Planescape Torment, Mask of the Betrayer or KOTOR2, to the epic games like Baldur's Gate 2 and Mass Effect.

It didn't used to be that way. In the eighties and early 90'ies AD&D had a lot of cheesy fantasy writing. It was about heroes and superevil villains who tried to destroy everything for no reason. It was about huge dungeons filled with monsters and traps.

The story of PoR:RoMD is like the latter kind. There's no real introduction more than "someone ressurected evil, we need heroes, game begins". In the game that follows you have very little buildup and it's first in the final maybe 15-20% you begin to see some story to it, which isn't different from what you are used to... the Big Bad Evil Person is Evil and you have to kill. I really cannot describe the story more than that.

What I will however, is to give the game a thumbs up for the fluff. Unlike most of the modern CRPG's, PoR:RoMD often present you with nice small text messages that give you info about your surroundings. Sometimes theese little messages give an extra depth on the otherwise generic dungeonwalls. There are plenty of stuff on the side that gives you the feeling that Myth Drannor was once a very living place that is now abandoned. There's plenty of ghosts, graves, remains of killed people etc.

Graphics, Engine & Sound
Much like Baldur's Gate the game is presented in top view looking down. The backgrounds is in 2d and the characters are rendered in 3d. Graphically it all looks what you would expect from a game of this age. It does look a lot like Planescape Torment or other early Black Isle games.

Overall the graphics in the dungeons are repetitive. Imagine spending 64 hours seeing the same walls and floors and you have PoR:RoMD. There's a bit of variation in the overland maps or in the final two dungeons, but mostly it's the same.

Another problem is that I think the game had less than 10 different variations of enemies. Sure, sometimes they change names which indicate a stronger foe, but the model is still the same. I could see saving space if you are using 2d graphics, but 3d models shouldn't have been that hard to produce. The old Baldur's Gate have a vast phleatoria of monsters in comparison to PoR:RoMD.

You will get used to the music. I filtered it out most of the time. However, there are plenty of songs in the game which is a nice touch. Theese songs sounds like ballads written specifically for the game.

The game isn't fully voiced, but there are some spoken sentences that is often pretty good. Sometimes lines are spoken prior to an encounter or in the beginning of a dialogue. There are voices that sounds really inhuman, especially from zombies, gargoyles, ghosts etc.

In the beginning the game was known to have a bug that would trash your windows. I avoided this one. However, the game doesn't work in Vista by default. I had to disable directdraw to get it work, a technique that unfortunally had a few consequences. Spell effects in particular doesn't look as good as they should, and they can slow down the game to a crawl, especially cloud spells and fire rains. Sometimes I reloaded the game because an enemy had thrown a cloud spell over my party, other times I specifically targeted that enemy just to get rid of the cloud. Very annoying.

The vanilla game is also TREMENDOUSLY slow. Even at highest speed battles take ages thanks to the turnbased combat. One solution for this is a speed hack that can increase the speed by pressing "8" and decrease it with "7". This made the game bearable.

I also had trouble with a sarcophagus emitted a green pulsewave. I saved next to it which made the game crash right after loading the save, so I had to replay from my autosave. It turned out that if I loaded the game in a stage in which the pulsewave was active, it would instantly crash when the pulsewave fired (which it does if you are nearby). Only way to circumvent this was to reload a save on another floor, run down the stairs, then run all the way to the room to resolve the battle there, then run back upstairs and save.

Gameplay
The game was developed with AD&D mechanics that was changed to 3.0 (or maybe 3.5). The implemention isn't complete as NWN or Temple of Elemental Evil. You do not get to select your feats or skills, the game select them for you automatically. Most skills, feats and spells are not in. Many classes are not presented, such as Druid and wizard. The game cap your level at 16 but allow you to multiclass to another class which allow you to get up to level 20 I think (my characters was level 19 when I finished the game).

The interface is decent. You have shortcuts but only F2-F10 which isn't enough to map all your spells. You have a rightclick menu which give you access to your skills, spells and inventory, and you can open your character screen to equip your character and rearrange your inventory. You can sell stuff but I only found like 2 items worth buying. The shops never restock and there are few of them. Money seems like a mechanic that wasn't fully thought through. I ended the game with 600k when the most expensive items costed only a couple of 10k.

Towards the end I found a combo that made my fighter into a killing machine. My other fighter could reasonably drop one opponent in a round as long as he could use his full-round action and rolled good with the dice. My first fighter almost never hit and almost always did 100+ sometimes 200+ damage per attack. I dunno how balanced that was.

Then you got potions, magic items, scrolls, keys, quest items and poisons. I missed the ability to poison my arrows though with my Rogue which felt quite useless in combat but was neccessary to open the tons of locked doors and disable tons of traps.

I noted that the game doesn't use proficiencies from the rpg. I couldn't use longbow with my elven Sorcerer, which in D&D 3.0 I can. I couldn't use wands with my rogue either.

You can divide PoR:RoMD into 9 large areas, the overland map and then two 4 floor dungeons. Each dungeon floor took me about 8 hours to play. Theese are the largest dungeons I have seen in a game ever and unfortunally they are also very repetitive and not that exciting.

Combats are turnbased. You might enjoy the tactical feel, and sometimes I did, but it ended up as slow, tedious and annoying to go several turns to chase down a foe that managed to initiate combat from far away.

Final Verdict
I played PoR:RoMD just because I wanted a partybased Dungeons & Dragons game, similar to Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. I would say that it's the only reason to play the game. You need nerves of steel to get through this very long game and endless turnbased combats, never changing walls and floors, with no real storyline on top of that. At least I have it done... Finally. Hey, maybe I should go back to play the original pool of radiance now... :p

Nice Review.

One thing, you can get up to level 32 if you multiclass (that's 16 in each class). With a party of 2 it's nearly achievable and not hard with the right builds. And the game plays a lot faster with a smaller more powerful party that has more powerful spells and strong undead turning :)

Last edited:
I picked up Mortimer Beckett and the Lost King last night. I got the first 2 to play with the Wild Dogs, and actually got a little addicted. It's a hidden object and puzzle hybrid. This one isn't as good as the last one. For one thing, I finished it in 3.5 hours. That's just not enough for a game that cost me $20. Second, it's more about item interaction (almost like an adventure game) than the hidden objects. The balance between aspects was far more enjoyable with the second entry in the series, "Mortimer Beckett and the Time Paradox". Too bad, because I was actually looking forward to this one.

Back to Torchlight, I guess.

JemyM: Thanks for the review! PoR has always been on my arbitrary "games I was always sort of interested in but never tried because ..." list. I still have BG2 ahead of me, the major part of Wiz8, IWD and others. I realize that most of them focus on combat rather than story, so I might have to alternate a bit in between.

Tic Tac Toe. I played wif myself. I lost. :(
But you won first. :)

JemyM: Thanks for the review! PoR has always been on my arbitrary "games I was always sort of interested in but never tried because …" list. I still have BG2 ahead of me, the major part of Wiz8, IWD and others. I realize that most of them focus on combat rather than story, so I might have to alternate a bit in between.

With PoR I think I have almost finished my personal list. There aren't that many old games left for me. :)

I would rule out BG2 from the "combat before story" list... I find BG2 deep in both in character building and a very complex villain. I also enjoyed Heart of Winter when it comes to IWD. Still, BG2, Wiz8 and IWD are above average when it comes to RPG's I say. Considering the quality of recent titles you might wish to try them out.

I would rule out BG2 from the "combat before story" list…
Yep -- that's why I said "most". :)

Ah, and to contribute to the thread, the last game I *finished* was BG1, actually. More specifically, BG1TuTu. Was lots of fun.

Runaway 3: A Twist of Fate
I do not have a lot to say about this one. I didn't think much about Runaway 1, but I thought Runaway 2 was an excellent step forward, much more epic, many loveable characters etc. Runaway 3 takes a step down as far as I concern, having much fewer characters and a simpler plot. It's still really beautifully done and the voice acting is still awesome, but the plot wasn't really intriguing.

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor
Final Verdict
I played PoR:RoMD just because I wanted a partybased Dungeons & Dragons game, similar to Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. I would say that it's the only reason to play the game. You need nerves of steel to get through this very long game and endless turnbased combats, never changing walls and floors, with no real storyline on top of that. At least I have it done… Finally. Hey, maybe I should go back to play the original pool of radiance now… :p

I agree it is an "iron man" title due to repetition and pure length, but I thought it had a great story and played out like a very long D&D module. Show me another game where you get to slaughter the Drow (which are anything but "slow moving" like the undead in the game). I loved POR2. I will admit I took a 1 year hiatus from the game before returning, but return I did!

Well ... that nails it, I'll have to re-install PoR2 on my netbook and dedicate myself to completing it.

Well … that nails it, I'll have to re-install PoR2 on my netbook and dedicate myself to completing it.

Just don't blame me if you hate yourself afterwards. :)

Just don't blame me if you hate yourself afterwards. :)

I can't honestly say I gave it a fair enough shot to really hate it, so I won't blame you ... too much ;)

Finished Kane and Lynch: Dead Men this morning. It was short, but fun. I felt like I was blasting my way through a Michael Mann film. It was sort of like Max Payne on steroids.

Finished Kane and Lynch: Dead Men this morning. It was short, but fun. I felt like I was blasting my way through a Michael Mann film. It was sort of like Max Payne on steroids.

I remember playing a bit of that on GameTap but never finished ... don't know what happened ...

Finished Mass Effect 2. Local shop handed me my copy a bit early :p

It's a good game, but inferior to the original. The original had more depth and more of a compelling story/world. This sequel offers vastly improved combat and minigames concerning hacking/cracking, but offers little to do outside of the mainquest. The worlds just feel…empty…while they are crowded by npc's.

The story itself is "lacking". It's basically all about you visiting differant worlds to recruit 12 people. Now, this wouldn't be a problem if not for the fact that there isn't the slightest link between what happens on those worlds and the reapers. Only for the minority of the missions, 1/6th of my gaming time, I was doing something concerning the main story. To make this even worse, during that little "plot time" you'll actually learn nearly absolutely nothing apart from 1 or 2 small revelations, that's it! This then leads to an ending that is "beyond poor" compaired to the epic ending of the first.

The inventory is also gone. Now you just go to the shops and buy gear upgrades in the form of "rank 1/5 assault rifle damage" or research for them. I agree that the inventory screen was a mess in the first one, but this new system just feels wrong and left a sour taste in my mouth.

I therefor simply do not agree with people stating that it raises the bar for future rpg's. It's combat mechanics deserve praise, the rest does not. Even the music delivers less.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom