Tyranny - Didn't sell well

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Alrik Fassbauer and Sir Brennus spotted an article about the struggles of Tyranny to hit the sales target on PCGamesN:

Why didn't Tyranny sell? Paradox on Obsidian's RPG "everyone was hoping would do better"

Obsidian’s Tyranny is destined to be remembered as one of the boldest RPGs of the decade - not that anything so rote as destiny would figure into a world ruled over by an all-powerful but unseen genderless communist. It also felt uniquely timely, releasing as it did right on top of the election of a US president many believed had the potential to become a tyrant.

But even the combination of those factors couldn’t translate into mad sales. Speaking at Paradox Con in Stockholm this weekend, the company’s top figures voiced disappointment over what they know was a brave and brilliant follow-up to Pillars of Eternity.

[…]

“Obsidian did a great job of capitalising on the timing of Kickstarter and the wave of nostalgia for these type of titles,” goes his hypothesis. “We've seen that most of the titles after Pillars of Eternity, if you look at Wasteland, Torment - they haven't been anywhere near that kind of success. So maybe it's that a lot of nostalgia fed into the initial bubble and that's why. These games have a market, but it's never gonna be that peak [again].”

More information.

Tyranny sounded intriguing but didn't buy it as I dislike PoE's combat.

I don't like RT combat, so I didn't buy it, because I know it would happen the same with PoE and the older infinity engine titles: I would end up bored and bothered with the combat and never pick it up again after a couple of hours playing, no matter how good the story or graphics of the game. I just don't like the combat system.

When I first got to know about his game, I was intrigued. But the moment I saw a video displaying the combat, I knew it wasn't for me.

I didn't like the premise. I prefer playing good-aligned mages and a single controlled characters, so it failed for me in multiple ways. I bought Pillars of Eternity and spent a pretty penny on the KS. I won't back another Obsidian game ever, but will buy them after release if the reviews are good. In the case of Tyranny, I think I won a copy in a giveaway here, but haven't played it yet.

Almost like getting all those streamers that were obviously doing it for the money didn't do anything to help Tyranny's marketing, huh Paradox? For a publisher of their caliber and type of games Paradox can be incredibly dense at times. Or blame shifting, depending on how cynical your are.

+5 it's an isometric cRPG game in a novel fantasy setting by Obsidian
-10 your character is pure Evil

Ergo, not my cup of tea. I get to see enough evil from the daily world news dump. Sorry Obsidian, but no sale.

i adored it, game of the year for me. i just waited for a price drop a long time.
its twice the game PoE was.

Ergo, not my cup of tea. I get to see enough evil from the daily world news dump. Sorry Obsidian, but no sale.

Your character wasn't evil. Your character worked for evil. You could be a hero, you could defy the tyrant, and so on. It was a politically heavy game. However, most situations you were faced with were solidly in the grey. If you played a hero, you were playing a hero in a world of evil where the "good" choices often had unintended consequences.

I didn't pick it up because I'm too limited by time to be able to play it. I guess that could be called "market saturation". But i probably would enjoy it.

I think i have a 50% off coupon from the POE2 Fig campaign that expires at the end of the month. Maybe I'll use that and add it to my ever growing backlog.

Shame it didn't sell as well as they would have liked, but the last paragraph sounds more promising:
"Our publishing voodoo allows us to keep the long tail going which make expansions a more viable proposition,” he notes. “We'll have a bit more news on this in the near future. But we'd love to revisit the world - it ended in a bit of a cliffhanger so there's definitely more to tell there. We'll see what people are asking for.”

It didn't sell well cause it wasn't very good. That combat was pretty boring and the advertised replayability was a lie. In my second playthrough I helped the rebels and the game felt the same.

I will definitely buy it at some point but I'm not interested in buying buggy Obsidian games anywhere even close to release. This game has barely been in the wild (or in the extended oven) for six months. I'm not a masochist ;) .

Besides, I'm sure that my backlog is still more than long enough until the Tyranny GOTY goes on sale including the expansion they are teasing here...

Jorjani does tease that Tyranny is structured in a modular fashion that makes it ideal for expansion.

“Our publishing voodoo allows us to keep the long tail going which make expansions a more viable proposition,” he notes. “We'll have a bit more news on this in the near future. But we'd love to revisit the world - it ended in a bit of a cliffhanger so there's definitely more to tell there. We'll see what people are asking for.”

I've got the game but have yet to play it. I wish I had more time for actually playing the games instead of only discussing them...

I'm currently playing it and I'm 20 hours in. I can confirm that the main protagonist doesn't have to act "evil" during the game. There's a lot of room for "good" deeds.
I like it better than PoE.

Yeah I just didn't try it because of this... maybe you didn't have to be evil, but it was enough to hold me off buying it.
Also replayability was reported not so great, and that replayability factors makes me want to buys a game.

For me Tyranny was the best RPG of 2016. Unfortunately there weren't that many good RPGs in 2016.

I would have preferred a turn based combat system, but they handled combat well enough for the game that it is, specially considering there's not nearly as much combat as there is in Pillars of Eternity. And by that I mean, there's about 20% of the combat of Pillars of Eternity :p

And also people shying away from the game because of the whole evil thing, do whatever you like, but the beauty of Tyranny's setting is that the world isn't black and white, and it tries constantly to challenge your preconceived views of what's right and wrong, be it in the situations you face or the characters you travel with.

Also it has the best female character of any RPG ever. Ever.

Also replayability was reported not so great, and that replayability factors makes me want to buys a game.
It's not The Age of Decadence, but it's miles ahead of pretty much everything else, barring a few exceptions. Certainly much better than Pillars in that department.

I also didn't buy it because of the evil thing and because I heard it had a timer. Both turned out to be wrong and misleading. I was glad I read some reviews here and learned otherwise.

You can take the hero route and I thought it was pretty good. It had grey but overall I felt like I was a good person making the most of things. I enjoyed it a lot and for a game I was prepared to ignore because of bad information I now consider it one of my top 10 favorites with a score of 9/10.

As for the timer - I almost stopped when I did the first part and had a timer … then realized it isn't for the whole game just one part of it and there was ample time.

The "pure evil" is completely inaccurate. I also didn't encounter any big bugs and found it pretty stable.

Back
Top Bottom