Kingmaker The real issue with Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Copper Coin

Outspoken D&D critic
The real issue with Pathfinder: Kingmaker is that it's inferior to the tabletop version in every respect. Something I've already heard echoed from Pathfinder fans online.

Why play the subpar videogame adaption when you can have more fun with the real deal? This is the questions fans of the P&P game are asking themselves.

At least with Baldurs Gate you get an original adventure. What do you get from this game that you couldn't get from the tabletop version? Nothing except for mediocrity.

I think the best thing Owlcats could do is what Neverwinter Nights did. Add in modding tools and cooperative play so people can make their own adventures and play them with friends. This would actually make it worth playing for Pathfinder fans.

Go away troll, the PoE bridge is over there :p

I never played the PnP version or I never had anything to do with Pathfinder before this but I installed the game last night at 10pm and when I checked time again it was 2am! This has not happened to me in very long time. And yes I love DnD or systems which are similar to it. I must have spent good hour just on the character creation and it was to be my "trial" character. It once again reminded me how good a system DnD is, so much depth yet so approachable. Its miles ahead of the crap that was PoE1.

Even if the campaign turned out out be bland as Neverwinter Nights, I think exploring DnD will save the day like it did for me in NWN1.

It's true though, and I'm not the only one saying it.

Rather than calling me a troll, tell me what's the point of playing this rather than playing the tabletop version which is superior in virtually every way? What do you gain from it?

I want real answers, and not just the whining of fanboys that can't take criticism.

Let me ask you a question, who is not enjoying the game in this forums other than you?

Let me ask you a question, who is not enjoying the game in this forums other than you?

I would question how many of you have played the tabletop version, because you're wasting your time by playing this instead. It's a vastly inferior experience.

Sure it's possible to enjoy this game, but you would be enjoying an inferior alternative.

Rather than calling me a troll, tell me what's the point of playing this rather than playing the tabletop version which is superior in virtually every way? What do you gain from it?

Being a bit off-topic, I'm asking the same question, hoping my interns would answer:
"Now tell me, young one with the cutting edge hairdo: why do you think Dragon Age is a better rpg experience than say, a P&P Greyhawk?"
"Umm, I don't know what are you talking about, sir"

Lemme translate these wise words to you:
- many gamers do not play tabletop games at all (it's a grandpa thing)
- many gamers do not know that a precursor of their favorite game actually exists (nobody told me, so It does not exist)
- most gamers do not care about all of the above (whatever)

… so hence the reason, why I'm extremely skeptical about reviving old, established games for the younger generation in a modernized form.

Here's the thing too. You can find a group to play Pathfinder: Kingmaker with online, so accessibility isn't an issue.

You can think this videogame is good, but Pathfinder fans will tell you that the P&P game is superior in every way. So why play this, when you could be playing the P&P game?

Which brings me back to my point. In order for this to be considered a good game and worth playing instead of the P&P version, it needs original content. Modding tools and cooperative play such as in Neverwinter Nights could turn this into an awesome game.

Right now though, there's no logical reason to play the videogame that I can think of.

Why play the subpar videogame adaption when you can have more fun with the real deal?

Why yes, thank you for that interesting question. In fact, I hate other people. Also, playing a P&P game all by my self is really not to be enjoyed. I tried it, but my neighbors were getting worried when they heard me speaking in different voices. Things escalated after that, I am not willing to talk about that in much more detail.

Anyways, I can not enjoy the "real deal".

I sincerely hope that this satisfies your inquisitive needs.

Cheers.

:beam:

You made your point over and over and over and over and over and over..... So far everyone else disagrees. Repeating it over and over is just going to create friction. Just agree to disagree and move on.

Here's the thing too. You can find a group to play Pathfinder: Kingmaker with online, so accessibility isn't an issue.

You can think this videogame is good, but Pathfinder fans will tell you that the P&P game is superior in every way. So why play this, when you could be playing the P&P game?

Which brings me back to my point. In order for this to be considered a good game and worth playing instead of the P&P version, it needs original content. Modding tools and cooperative play such as in Neverwinter Nights could turn this into an awesome game.

Fair enough, Cachepearl. I'll give you that at least.

This is the alternative for people that don't like playing with other people.

Videogame: 1
Tabletop game: 100

You made your point over and over and over and over and over and over….. So far everyone else disagrees.

Everyone disagrees, but only one person has substantiated their disagreement.

I presume that's because most of you can't logically refute my argument that the tabletop version is superior, and this is just a subpar imitation not worth playing.

Well, I can't play the tabletop on my own. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone nerdy enough to play it with me. I'm a lonely little nerd, because everyone I know isn't a nerd, so this computer game is all I can get. And yes, I like it. So maybe the original tabletop game is better, but it's very likely that I'll never know. So please let me enjoy this cRPG in peace. Thank you.

I would question how many of you have played the tabletop version, because you're wasting your time by playing this instead. It's a vastly inferior experience.

Sure it's possible to enjoy this game, but you would be enjoying an inferior alternative.

Whether this game is inferior to PnP is irrelevant. If I am interested in PnP, I would be posting at PnPWatch and not at RpgWatch. For whatever reason, I am not interested in PnP and only interested in CRPGs. So I am only going to compare this to other CRPGs and as far as I can tell this game is excellent compared to other similar CRPGs. That's the only thing that matters.

You can make the case that PnP > CRPG but thats different debate altogether.

The real issue with Pathfinder: Kingmaker is that it's inferior to the tabletop version in every respect.
This reads like "Those tits suck" - while looking at male torso.
Some of us do not want to see any kind of tabletop ever again. Thus, even Tetris on PC is superior to tabletops. Again, to some of us. To those who find tabletops superior… Not sure what are they looking for on PC.

"I want to play Pathfinder"...
PC: Turn on, click on Pathfinder, play.
Tabletop: Send messages to Joe, Wilma, Jack, Steve, Ann. Wait, wait, Joe says 'sure', wait, wait, Wilma says not today sorry. Wait, Jack says 'sure'. Wait, wait, Ann says 'sure but not in my house'. Send another message to Joe, Jack, Steve 'can it be at your home?'. Wait, wait, Jack says 'sure'. Take a shower, get in car or walk to the bus station. Arrive and wait until all the players get there 1 hour later. Joe says "I can only play today for 2 hours". Spend another half hour getting table ready. Spend 1 hour in one battle. Get back home.

Whether this game is inferior to PnP is irrelevant.

The question isn't irrelevant, because the two games don't exist in a vacuum. You have a choice between the P&P game and the videogame directly based on it. The things the videogame tries to do are done better in the P&P game, making it the superior choice.

By the way, if you want an example of a P&P adaption done right, it's Temple of Elemental Evil. Owlcats could of learned a thing or two from Troika on how its done.

The one from 2003? It's combat was pitch perfect. IMO. But it is the most boring cRPG I've played in my life. I still have nightmares from that boredom. Then again, I don't care about combat in games. Gimme an epic story or go home.

Back
Top Bottom