Risen - The Experience #3

I assume he is referring to the fact that Gothic is actually story driven and somewhat linear, with much stronger focus on such elements than in most open games. To me, Gothic is something of a hybrid (that works very well I might add).

Well G3 is a sandbox game (done PB style and with a generous helping of bugs
and design mishaps).

But G1-2 follow the same formula of a very open ended first chapter (relative freedom
on what you do and in which order you do it as long as you eventually choose a faction,
which choice will trigger the transition to chapter 2) and a rather Linear (story driven)
game thereafter as Maylander pointed out. Nothing sandbox about it...

btw G1-2 being two of my all time favorites I would still have liked a bit of branching
beyond chapter 1. But that I believe would have been beyond PB's capacity (resource
wise)... One can always dream though that if they continue to grow they might someday
push the envelope in that area...

btw G1-2 being two of my all time favorites I would still have liked a bit of branching beyond chapter 1. But that I believe would have been beyond PB's capacity (resourcewise)… One can always dream though that if they continue to grow they might someday push the envelope in that area…

I don't know how well branching would have worked in the Gothics, because they were trying to tell one story over the course of three games. I do hope PB continues to grow though, which is why I have my fingers crossed that Risen surpasses its sales expectations.

Yeah, fair enough, and to be honest I wouldn't have liked 1-2 to have different endings
than those they already have anyway.

I was mostly imagining something along the lines of what they already did, but instead
of just viewing the same events by different viewpoints (per guild), providing some
consequences for certain choices that would trigger different intermediate events, tying
into essentially the same endgame (something like what the Witcher tried to do but
more closely tied to the Gothic Guild thing).

Anyway such a game would probably be insanely difficult to make (coupling the
alternate story paths with the open ended nature of the Gothic world !) especially with
PB's limited resources, but like I said its more of a fantasy...

Arrgghhh, the pain of silence is killing me, but that's the way it must stay.
I was mostly imagining something along the lines of what they already did, but instead of just viewing the same events by different viewpoints (per guild), providing some consequences for certain choices that would trigger different intermediate events, tying into essentially the same endgame (something like what the Witcher tried to do but more closely tied to the Gothic Guild thing).
Anyway such a game would probably be insanely difficult to make (coupling the alternate story paths with the open ended nature of the Gothic world !) especially with PB's limited resources, but like I said its more of a fantasy…
The above post should be carved in stone and sent to Piranha Bytes - they would all fall off their chairs in fits of laughter,

Why....?

Please don't let me wallow in ignorance oh insulting one... why ?

No insults at all JonNik, quite the opposite in fact. In all the years of gothic related forum comments going back to the rpgdot days, nobody has ever expressed the viewpoint as in that selection you mention, it is spatially constructive, intelligent and accurately spot on - why? - because indeed, the thing you describe has already been done and implemented in the Gothics.

No insults at all JonNik, quite the opposite in fact. In all the years of gothic related forum comments going back to the rpgdot days, nobody has ever expressed the viewpoint as in that selection you mention, it is spatially constructive, intelligent and accurately spot on - why? - because indeed, the thing you describe has already been done and implemented in the Gothics.

None taken then.

Like I said I wouldn't want a reinvention of their design. Just taking it a step further with
really dynamic events inside the existing guild alternate storypaths, tied to player choices
and possibly creating more replay value (than the 3 times I got to play each of G1-2).

Back
Top Bottom