Deathspank - No PC Version?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Remember Ron Gilbert's Deathspank? I seem to recall (though the memory is dim) that it was originally due not long after the first announcement in episodic form. Fast forward a couple of years and we have a publishing announcement from EA Partners - sans PC:
EA PARTNERS AND HOTHEAD GAMES TEAM UP TO DELIVER DEATHSPANK

EA to Publish the Latest Game from Industry Icon Ron Gilbert

Redwood Shores, CA – March 4, 2010 – EA Partners, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and leading independent developer Hothead Games announced today an exclusive publishing agreement that will bring DeathSpank to Xbox LIVE® Arcade and PlayStation®Network in 2010. Developed under the vision of The Secret of Monkey Island creator and industry icon Ron Gilbert, DeathSpank blends a story filled with Gilbert’s unique humor and wit with classic and addictive action RPG gameplay.

“The team at Hothead Games is a perfect fit for EA Partners. They are a great example of how the EA Partners program continues to emphasize the importance of building strong relationships with the world’s top indie developers,” said Jamil Moledina, Outreach Director, Business Development at EA Partners. “DeathSpank is an engrossingly fun and hysterically funny experience, and we are all excited to have the opportunity to help introduce DeathSpank to gamers across the world.”

Ian Wilkinson, CEO of Hothead Games added, “We are proud of our independence, but are very excited to be working with EA Partners on a title as big as DeathSpank. With EA Partners handling distribution and marketing, Hothead can continue to focus on what we do best, making great games.”

The game casts players in the role DeathSpank, the Hero to the Downtrodden, a Vanquisher of Evil and Defender of Justice as he fulfills his life-long destiny and searches for a mysterious and magical item only known as "The Artifact". Along the way he'll rescue a few Orphans, defeat a local tyrant and tumble headlong into the even deeper mystery surrounding the legendary Thongs of Virtue in an epic adventure game that includes collecting loot, crazy puzzle solving, witty dialogue, collecting loot, over-the-top animations, fun, accessible action combat, and of course, collecting loot. For more information on DeathSpank, please visit www.deathspank.com
More information.

Gilbert game..no PC?
Very disappointed if this is true.

Shirley, we all know by now that strange "platform exclusive" decisions usually just mean a delayed release. My $0.02: EA will release the game on XBox 360, make a small pile of money, then later announce a port to PC which happens to be almost finished and ready to ship.

This is probably an anti-piracy tactic, try and make some $$$ on very lightly pirated platforms first, then roll out the PC diehard version a little later.

I hope you're correct!!

I believe it was David Gaider who said that XBox exclusive and delayed with Box first means extra cash from MS. Cha-ching. Why wouldn't they then?

Seriously looking forward to this, love the website as well, once I'm home I will be checking out the Pilates with Deathspank video.

He synonymous with the early LucartsArts adventures, like Monkey Island.

LucasArts used to be such a great game company. Brings back a lot of great memories.

Can't beat Monkey Island. I'll probably try this once it's out on PCs just for the sake of it. I'm willing to give Gilbert the benefit of the doubt.

His "Grumpy Gamer" blog is also readable. I used to read it every month.
He has written quite some interesting thoughts/articles in there.

Back
Top Bottom