King Arthur: Knight's Tale - One Month till Release

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Just a reminder from Henriquejr: King Arthur: Knight's Tale will be released on March 29:

ONE MONTH TILL THE FULL RELEASE

Knights,

This past year flew by so fast! We've launched a successful Kickstarter campaign back in October, 2020, followed by an Early Access launch in January, 2021. Now, a bit more than a year later we're getting ready to launch the full release of King Arthur Knight's Tale (March 29, 2022 as previously announced)! We'd like to thank you all for joining us early, whether joining the Kickstarter or the Early Access on Steam, supporting us and the project.

As said many times before, we'll have three more Acts, a post-campaign endgame and hours and hours of gameplay awaiting you in the full release. The game got much bigger than planned.

Beginner guides

Spoiling the rest of the story till the release would be a bit cruel, so no spoilers from now on, but until then, here's a collection of new blog posts for new players, diving a bit more into the game's mechanics, such as the RPG elements, Camelot management and so on. Treat them as beginner's guides. We'll have more of these as we're getting closer to the full release.

Whether King Arthur: Knight's Tale is your first turn-based game or you're a seasoned veteran of the genre, it's good to take a step back from time to time, and revisit the foundations:

[...]
More information.

Surprisingly looking forward to this. I own the EA and got through a decent amount of that content.

One of those games I got a demo on and liked the atmosphere but didn't like the lack of saving on demand and the TB combat.

I kept an eye on it, however, as I have always loved the King Arthur fantasy world. One thing that always bugged me, however, was the old ways vanished and Christianity took its place. I always wanted that to end in reverse.

So tried it again in EA and started to really enjoy it. It is simple stuff - this isn't some super deep AAA title. Lore, companions, story is all fairly light but there to help provide some context and a desire to learn more. I would love a lot more story and companion stuff but good enough.

Combat is fun but playing on mostly normal and easy mode so I can't comment on the challenge aspect of it. I know I enjoyed the combat enough that it wasn't something to just get over with. Which is good since there is plenty of it. But also some exploring.

They also added the ability to save on a mission as long as you were not engaged in any combat and just exploring the mission map. That made it easier so if I needed to leave to do something in real life I didn't have to start all over again.

The atmosphere is rather fun and dark. The dialogue is sometimes a little off, not quite fitting in with what I would think it should be ... but then how would I know what it should be to begin with :p Not as bad as Waylanders at least.

Anyhow looking forward to playing the complete game when it comes out.

highs of this year. better than elden and im soulsfan

Thanks for the thoughts on this wolfgrimdark. It's been high on my list, especially since Neocore has made some other decent strategy games. I really enjoyed the King Arthur role-playing/strategy games they made many years ago.

So tried it again in EA and started to really enjoy it. It is simple stuff - this isn't some super deep AAA title. Lore, companions, story is all fairly light but there to help provide some context and a desire to learn more. I would love a lot more story and companion stuff but good enough.

Combat is fun but playing on mostly normal and easy mode so I can't comment on the challenge aspect of it. I know I enjoyed the combat enough that it wasn't something to just get over with. Which is good since there is plenty of it. But also some exploring.

I'm keeping an eye on it too, but I'm not really convinced... yet. :)

Isn't that game mostly combat? That's my main concern, and the combat itself doesn't seem to be that great from what you wrote, just "good enough". Or did I interpret that incorrectly?

I've been following this game for a while too. Looks better and better. I'm still holding out for reviews though.

I'm keeping an eye on it too, but I'm not really convinced… yet. :)

Isn't that game mostly combat? That's my main concern, and the combat itself doesn't seem to be that great from what you wrote, just "good enough". Or did I interpret that incorrectly?

That was fairly high praise on the combat coming from me seeing as how I am not a big fan of combat, especially TB. Any game where I enjoy the combat is a plus for me.

There is a lot of combat. I mean the whole game is really combat missions with a little castle building and exploring and story. Maybe they would add more but I would say maybe 85% combat and 15% other stuff. Others might adjust those percentages - its just how my memory is recalling it. I did the main map and maybe a dozen large missions or so.

The atmosphere helped and while there wasn't a lot I did enjoy the story and little tidbits of lore. Also I really enjoyed playing Mordred. Some of the characters are pretty dark and sometimes hard choices on which characters to have. Like some I felt were the most useful I also found the most despicable.

Combat was fun. I don't know why it clicked for me. I guess cause I like the mix of magic and knights and some "priestly" abilities. I found there were enough options to keep things interesting without overwhelming me or making me feel lost with choices. I also felt free to experiment and not just use the same proven tools over and over ... but I wasn't playing on hard mode, usually normal and easy depending on how the battle went. Even on easy a few battles were a challenge if only because you had to learn the tricks of the boss fight. Yet not so hard I was getting frustrated. It was a good balance, for my own temperament, of wanting to try and win without being so frustrated I would quit the game.

Visuals were good, as were graphics, although as I mentioned not AAA.

What I can't comment on is whether the challenge would be enough for those who play games like this for the combat challenge. I can only say there are difficulty settings and if someone is like me and isn't a hard core combat fan, and likes the theme, they might enjoy it.

I don't usually play mission style games like this so that also made it a bit interesting for me if only as a new style of game play.

As a fan of the first two game that were clones of Total War I have minimal interest in this new game in the series. So what am I missing and what is the appeal?o_O

So what am I missing and what is the appeal?o_O

Not being another Total War clone is enough for you? It always depends on your gaming interests, of course. I like Turn-Based Tactics games and Medieval Fantasy settings, that's the appeal for me :)

In any case, it's too late for me anyway since I bought it last year, and I'm only waiting for its release. If this game flops (and I don't think it will but who knows) then I poured some money down the drain :)

Last edited:
Turn-based plus one of the most classic environs of fantasy literature. It really doesn't get more titular than King Arthur and the knights of the round table, and what a stable of both heroes and a rogues gallery of villains!

Turn-based plus one of the most classic environs of fantasy literature. It really doesn't get more titular than King Arthur and the knights of the round table, and what a stable of both heroes and a rogues gallery of villains!
Then play the first two games as well they have everything you listed above.:biggrin:

Thanks a lot for your answer, @wolfgrimdark;! :)

I'm torn, perhaps it doesn't hurt to try once the game is out. I think I would enjoy a good story based on Arthurian lore, but I may be frustrated by a combat-focused game which only touches the subject for its background.

The combat itself could be fun enough though. :D

Back
Top Bottom