Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
Dialogue from Cyberpunk's First Expansion Leaked - VGS
The files, which have been widely circulated on social media, were reportedly datamined from a recent game patch and appear to suggest that the DLC will follow Songbird, a character that was previously datamined from the original game, and features a finished model.

It's claimed that the files aren't complete, with several side missions using placeholder text, but the leak appears to confirm that the expansion will include seven main missions.

According to Reddit users, the expansion will take players to the Combat Zone, an area of the Pacifica region which was inaccessible in the base game but did feature in the art book, The World of Cyberpunk 2077.
How Spiders Is Making Its BioWare Dreams Come True With GreedFall 2 - IGN
Jehanne Rousseau, CEO of French developer Spiders, loves BioWare games. She, along with her development team, love BioWare games so much that Spiders informal mission is to make character-rich RPGs during a period when BioWare just isn't.

"We are all fans of these types of games, so I guess [the reason Spiders decided to make BioWare-style RPGs] was partly out of our frustration, because we couldn't play these types of games again, she says. "Because [BioWare] was a huge influence to us we really wanted to be able to develop those kinds of games."

The results of that passion haven't always been successful, but with each new game Spiders has honed its understanding of both BioWare DNA and its own house style. 2013's Mars: War Logs was a ropey tribute to Mass Effect, but by 2019 Spiders had its own accomplished answer to Dragon Age in the form of GreedFall. Encouraged by its biggest success so far, Spiders is now hard at work on a sequel, the recently announced GreedFall 2: The Dying World.
Now is the perfect time to start playing Genshin Impact - Polygon
At times, Genshin Impact can feel like an endless to-do list. There are three sprawling regions, character-focused story missions, and world quests that ask you to scour the land for specific items. There’s also the gargantuan task of collecting characters and optimizing your party to counter a plethora of elemental enemies. Suffice it to say, Genshin Impact can be a lot. But thanks to a recent content drought, now is a great time for new players to dive in.

How Each Fallout Protagonist Compares to the Next - GameRant
The Fallout series is known for allowing its players to create a character of their own as they traverse the post-apocalyptic wasteland. They're free to build on that character's strengths, beliefs, and overall personality.

That said, there are a few pre-established aspects of each title's protagonist, and these differ across the franchise. In discussing each Fallout protagonist, it's important to consider their established background as well as what they set out to do in the game. The canon endings (or what is most likely the canon ending) of the games main quests will also be mentioned. This will provide a general view of each player character and how they differ.
Top 12 Bethesda Games, Ranked Worst to Best - ScreenRant
Bethesda has been glorified for its numerous RPGs and first-person shooters that have gained very high scores and positive game reviews. Needless to say, it has one of the biggest fan bases for so many prolific and successful game titles and is still considered one of the most relevant videogame companies of all time. When it comes to innovative maps, gameplays, visuals, and storylines, Bethesda is the place to go for a lot of players.
Mediocre JRPGs That Are Worth Playing Just For Their Endings - GameRant
Much like beauty, mediocrity is in the eye of the beholder, and, when it comes to Japanese RPGs, fans can often be a forgiving bunch. This is because when it comes to the games, the story and characters will usually take priority over gameplay mechanics and pacing issues that can arise from a lengthy experience.
I, The Inquisitor is a dark fantasy RPG Witcher vibes with mean Jesus - RPS
Just imagine for a moment what the world would’ve been like if Jesus, rather than forgiving us for our sins on the cross, had rolled out of the tomb with a proper nark on instead. That’s the basis of Polish author Jacek Piekara’s series of novels, now set to become third-person action adventure I, The Inquisitor, from developers The Dust. Somebody probably ought to consult the Archbishop of Canterbury for the PEGI rating, like. Watch the trailer below.

Jedi: Fallen Order Sequel Star Wars Jedi: Survivor Announced - Press Release

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor picks up five years after the events of Jedi: Fallen Order. Cal must stay one step ahead of the Empire's constant pursuit as he begins to feel the weight of being one of the last remaining Jedi in the galaxy. Accompanied by his trusty companion BD-1, Cal will meet and ally himself with an array of unique and interesting characters on his journey. Jedi: Survivor will expand on the series dynamic combat in new and innovative ways. In order to survive, Cal must learn new skills and grow his connection with the Force.
Developer Story: Corinne Busche - BioWare
Our latest edition of Developer Stories shows how a career path can take you to different places but still lead you right where you belong. Today the spotlight is on Game Director Corinne Busche who's helping guide the next Dragon Age. It'[s the latest stop on a more-than-15-year journey that started with golf?
Hidetaka Miyazaki on the Secrets of Elden Ring's Development - Xbox News
We recently had a chance to speak with Hidetaka Miyazaki, the longtime From Software Director who has been instrumental in bringing games like Dark Souls, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, and Elden Ring to fans all over the world. He gave us some insight into how Elden Ring was designed, which bosses were his favorite, and how to cope with the nightmarish Fingercreepers.
Diablo Immortal Pre-Launch Q&A - Wccftech
Diablo Immortal, set between the events of Diablo II and Diablo III, will be a franchise first in many regards. It's the first installment to feature a free-to-play business model and the first to include full-fledged MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) elements such as clans, raids, and a complete slew of PvP activities. Moreover, Diablo Immortal will be the most accessible title in the series yet when it comes to controls on PC since it includes the traditional click-to-move, the brand new WASD, and controller compatibility.

Ahead of this highly anticipated launch, we were able to interview Game Director Wyatt Cheng to look back at the game's announcement, reflect on the current state at launch, and get a glimpse of what's coming next.

The Tarnishing of Juxtia receives a new Gameplay Teaser

The Tarnishing of Juxtia combines atmospheric pixel art and a hauntingly beautiful score with incredibly challenging 2D skirmishes. Taking on the role of the final creation of the Goddess Juxtia, players are tasked with defeating the Shadow God Drelium of Crescentpeak a mysterious, alien realm filled with strange machinery and occult magic. Along with a staggering variety of weapons, armor sets and abilities, The Tarnishing of Juxtia features an Energy Rush system as well allowing the fiercest warriors to get a super-charged boost of stamina and mana after landing consecutive attacks!
GreedFall 2 Is Inspired By Knights Of The Old Republic - TheGamer
It's no secret that BioWare inspired French studio Spiders to a great extent, something you can tell just by looking at the studio's previous games. Mars: War Logs is a sort of tribute to Mass Effect, whereas GreedFall draws inspiration from Dragon Age. When tackling the sequel, the team looked back at Knights of the Old Republic, CEO Jehanne Rousseau told IGN. Although, tthat doesn't mean you can force choke your enemies or use your lightsaber in battle
I'm Suddenly Interested In Steelrising - TheGamer
Everything changed for me at Bigben Week in Paris, where I saw a hands-off demo of the game. Obviously the section I watched was a curated section of the game, and it was the developer playing rather than me, but it ran smoothly and was completely bug-free. The polished experience sold me on Steelrising more than any of the clockwork tigers or mechanical fan-shields, but that alone would not be enough to write an entire article now, would it?
Mount and Blade 2 Update Adds New 'Battle' Game Mode - Techraptor
Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord is edging ever closer to its 1.0 launch with expansions to campaign gameplay and multiplayer alike. Another round of updates has arrived today, and this patch has something new for fans of the multiplayer -- a new "Battle" game mode where you only have a single life to live.
Dark Souls Servers Are Coming Back, FromSoftware Says - Techraptor
Earlier this year, Dark Souls servers were shut down following the discovery of a Remote Code Execution (RCE) exploit. While Bandai Namco identified the issue shortly thereafter, it confirmed that servers for Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 3 would remain offline well after the launch of Elden Ring. Now, there's some very good news for fans of Soulslike games: Bandai Namco has confirmed that the Dark Souls servers are coming back.

We'll Make Your Gun Shiny For Only a Hundred Bucks - Jeff Vogel

This should imho be in the top news, because I feel that it is an important story about piracy, too. And about negative bias towards Indie games.

AAA games are now up to $70, and nobody will talk about that price with anything other than rage.

Meanwhile, Valorant will put fish on your guns for that much money, and they have Zoomers lined up out the door.

I've been seeing this phenomenon for a long time: No matter how good an indie game (or any game) is, no matter how cheap it is, a few Steam reviews will always say it's too expensive.

But here is what I think.

When someone says, "$20 is too much for your game," that's not what they are saying. What they are saying is, "I want to pirate your game, but I know, deep down, that this would be wrong, and I am trying to generate a moral justification for enjoying your labors for free."

When Valorant come charges X dollars for a pretty gun, they know that people can't pirate it. You can buy it or not buy it, but it's on their servers, so you can't steal it. That is what enables them to charge so much more for a cosmetic upgrade (as opposed to a full game). Turns out, people will pay a lot for video games, if they have too.

This should imho be in the top news, because I feel that it is an important story about piracy, too. And about negative bias towards Indie games.
His posts are always informative as for piracy it's not that big of a problem for larger games nowadays. Indies just can't afford the fees to use Denuvo Anti-Tamper.

15 BIGGEST Rumored Games That Could Be Revealed Soon

While E3 isn't happening this year, June is set to have all kinds of other events, from the Summer Game Fest on June 9th to the PC Gaming Show and Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase on June 12th. This doesn't include potential events from companies like Sony which have still yet to be confirmed. Let's take a look at 15 rumored titles that could be revealed in the coming weeks.
The Sargosian Abyss Released - Steam

Adventure awaits in this turn-based tactical roguelike! Explore the randomized depths of a massive dungeon, collect loot, and battle enemies in tactical turn-based combat as you guide your party of four adventurers through the abyss.
The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki Gets English Trailer

Clouded Leopard Entertainment released an English trailer of The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki, but it isn't what you may think it is.

Steelrising blends the best of Elden Ring, Bloodborne, and Nioh - TheLoadout
Spiders is a studio known for creating new and unique worlds. And while Steelrising certainly fulfils that brief with a mechanised take on the French revolution, the game itself is breaking new ground for the developer. That's because the gameplay draws upon the Souls-like genre, using key mechanics to create a flexible and deep action role-playing game.
Exoplanet: First Contact - BUILD 0.67 Released
Hello, friends. April is over and we release a new update. We want to tell you about the improvements in gameplay, new quests and changes in game design.

But before we come to the list of changes, we'd like to tell you that we have started developing our Discord channel where we publish almost daily unique updates, tell about the game development and share interesting working materials that nobody sees. Here you can also leave your feedback about the game, share your ideas and interesting content, and also ask your questions to the team and get the answers.
Forspoken gets an R-18 rating in Europe amidst Delay Rumors - Xfire
According to Europe's video game rating system, PEGI, Forspoken will get a "PEGI 18" rating when it comes out due to "strong suicide references and use of strong language." PEGI then adds that the upcoming Luminos Productions game "contains use of strong language ('f**k'), as well as milder terms.
RPG Backtrack 259 Europa Wars - RPGamer
Ready the battalion! It's Backtrack time! In this episode we talk about Sega's other strategy RPG series, Valkyria Chronicles, with guests Josh, Robert, Pascal, and Wheels.

Hogwarts Legacy: everything we know about the Harry Potter RPG - Techradar
From Warner Bros. Games and Avalanche Software, the game is a long-awaited open world adventure that will allow players to wander the halls and grounds of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, as well as locations outside of the castle walls that will be familiar to fans of the books and films.
Meet The Only Person Keeping Action-RPG Babylon's Fall Alive - Kotaku
Wood said that on the night of May 3, in which Babylon's Fall saw just a single concurrent player (him), he had logged in a bit before bed to check things out. The game recently wrapped up its NieR: Automata limited-time event, where players could buy and unlock costumes based on Platinum's genre-blending and hugely successful action-RPG. So, Wood wanted to see what was in the in-game store, only to find the hub world was barren.
We tested 22 different RPGs on the Steam Deck - PCworld
Role-playing video games are a timeless staple of the medium, but if you’ve ever owned a Game Boy, you know they’re particularly great on portable devices. Which brings us to the portable game player of the moment: Valve’s Steam Deck. With a typical focus on story and strategy over visuals, RPGs might just be ideal for the Steam Deck’s limited power.

That’s the hypothesis that Adam Patrick Murray is testing in the latest PCWorld YouTube video, putting an astonishing 22 PC RPGs to the test on Valve’s portable polygon-pusher. Over a weeks-long role-playing marathon, he tried out some of the biggest PC RPGs of the moment, as well as some timeless classics, to see how the Steam Deck could handle them.

His posts are always informative as for piracy it's not that big of a problem for larger games nowadays. Indies just can't afford the fees to use Denuvo Anti-Tamper.

Yesm but he also speaks out about the mind set.

People say 20 Dollars is too much for an Indie game , but spend 70 for cosmetic items in larger games ?

SD Gundam Battle Alliance launches August 25th - Steam

SD Gundam Battle Alliance is a multiplayer Gundam action RPG where you can smash foes solo or with friends in thrilling mechanized combat. Acquire new mobile suits, power them up, and take them into battle in various missions!
Game Informer Diablo: Immortal Gameplay

Diablo Immortal is just around the corner. After its big release date announcement last month, we released an installment of New Gameplay Today all about the game, how it plays on both mobile devices and PC, and more. Today, we're back with even more new Diablo Immortal footage and another developer interview.
38 Studios Retrospective - Gamesindustry.biz
As far as industry cautionary tales go, 38 Studios is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

In 2006, Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling set up the studio (then known as Green Monster Games) with lofty ambitions, promising to revolutionize an MMO space dominated by World of Warcraft with an original property created with the help of comic creator Todd McFarlane and fantasy novelist R.A. Salvatore.

"The challenge is not simply in publishing a game but in publishing a game that changes the landscape of the online marketplace," Schilling said at the time. "Our company motto is 'If you can't do it better than it's ever been done before, work for someone else.'"

He was also determined to treat his staff well, promising a 50-50 profit share with employees and acknowledging the industry's often shoddy treatment of developers.

"GMG's team of employees will more closely resemble the pride and respect I experienced in my years as a baseball player," he said at an MIT Enterprise Forum event.

Things did not go as planned.
Jupiter Hell Review - RPGCodex
Jupiter Hell is a gem of craftsmanship that is very well aware of its strengths and purpose. It’s not often that I get to review a game where I have to think very hard of any things to criticise, and this is one of them. The basic gameplay and its hooks have been ironed out perhaps not to perfection, perhaps not even to brilliance, but definitely into a shape where everything clicks together exactly as it should, and where you, the player, can find dozens, if not hundreds of hours of entertainment. I have little doubt that over time I might even reach those hundreds, because Jupiter Hell simply never gets old.

I approached this game expecting DoomRL with a new paint job, and I think I got that and much more. Jupiter Hell definitely has its own twist on the formula, and even if you’ll recognise a lot of the gameplay paradigms from its predecessor, it still does enough different things to stand firmly by itself. I can give it a wholehearted recommendation.

Baldur's Gate 3 - Are You Ready For These Upcoming Spells!?

Owlcat Games' Next Title - Theory Round Up & Review

Paizo has announced Owlcat is not working on a pathfinder or starfinder title, so what are they working on? A very serious discussion.
21 Project Zomboid Beginner's Tips

Fallout 76 - Season 9 Developer Preview - Bethesda

The Test Your Metal Update is coming to Fallout 76 on June 14, and when it does, we’re also going to kick off our ninth Season, called “Heart of Steel: A Dread Island Tale”. We wanted to share an early look at the new Season with you, and so we sat down with Nate Emmott, Don Etgeton, and Jesse McLean from the Fallout 76 Development Team to chat about what’s headed your way on patch day. Tune into our latest Dev Dive video below to learn about what goes into the creation of a Season, Fallout 1st enhancements arriving with the Season 9 Scoreboard, and to catch their thoughts on Seasons and the Atomic Shop from the development perspective.

With Diablo Immortal Blizzard aims to build its biggest Game - AndroidCentral
What you need to know

• Diablo Immortal is slated to launch on June 2, 2022.
  • It's a free-to-play Diablo game being developed for mobile platforms, though it's also coming to PC.
  • Blizzard Entertainment says this is the biggest and "most ambitious" Diablo game yet.
Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos - Version 1.37 Released
Hello everyone!KotC 2 version1.37 is here.

Aside from bug fixes, there are threemain new features: a new single-panel dialogue interface(which you can turn off in the game options if you prefer the older one), new buttons in the cryptography screen, and a new checkbox in the weapon/armour enchantment interface allowing you to leave the name of the item (e.g. +2 Excalibur) unchanged.

In addition, it's now easier to take advantage of the Wade In + Mobility feat combination as you can just click on enemies. You no longer have to use the combat-actions menu to alternate between attacks and movement.

Please scroll down and skip the list of changes if you'd like to read about planned new sprites and the other things I've been planning for KotC 2.

With Diablo Immortal Blizzard aims to build its biggest Game - AndroidCentral
What you need to know
  • Diablo Immortal is slated to launch on June 2, 2022.
  • It's a free-to-play Diablo game being developed for mobile platforms, though it's also coming to PC.
  • Blizzard Entertainment says this is the biggest and "most ambitious" Diablo game yet.

So their F2P game aimed at Mobile platforms is their most ambitious Diablo game?? Yeah, right!

So their F2P game aimed at Mobile platforms is their most ambitious Diablo game?? Yeah, right!
Well it's easy money selling cosmetics and expansions. It's the new MMO model. It wont be for me and others on the watch, but early beta numbers and feedback is good.

Zelda Ocarina of Time Remake in Unreal Engine 5 available for download - Patreon

Unfortunately, this UE5 demo of Zelda Ocarina of Time is behind a Patreon-wall. As such, only Patreon members can download and experiment with it. After all, this is an early access version. My guess is that a free public version will come out, hopefully, later this year.
Kuro Game Announces Open-World RPG Wuthering Waves - Official Site

Starfield legally becomes Starfield Next Month - PCGamesN
The Starfield trademark and logo become legal in the US next month, meaning that Bethesda's new RPG game will legally become Starfield in June so hopefully no unscrupulous persons will name their space game Starfield n the next couple of weeks.
Steelrising Interview - PlayStation Universe
This past week I was able to sit down with the hugely talented Jehanne Rousseau, video game producer, co-founder and CEO of Spiders the ever-expanding French powerhouse dev studio behind Greedfall and more importantly, the forthcoming Parisian mechanic-punk action RPG effort, Steelrising. With the release of Steelrising rapidly coming upon us, we talked all things Steelrising, ranging from the inspirations for the game to the likelihood of future DLC.

Alaloth - Champions of The Four Kingdoms - New Gameplay Trailer

Welcome to the world of Plamen!
Starfield could release in March 2023 if the stars align - Techradar
Talking about the delay and purported state of the game in his Bethesda-centric podcast Kingscast (opens in new tab), host KingFanMan explains his theory. Pointing to the company's previous game delays and circumstances around each of them, he builds a pretty convincing case.
Towns Need to Change from Skyrim to Elder Scrolls 6 - Gamerant
The towns and cities in The Elder Scrolls series have often been one of the biggest draws to the large worlds that make up titles like Skyrim and Oblivion. While Skyrim's Whiterun has become an icon for starting cities in games in general and the open-world genre specifically, the ten-or-more-year gap before The Elder Scrolls 6 releases is going to require an equally iconic first town.
How to have the best Daggerfall experience in 2022 - PCGamer
Despite being a multiplatform hit, Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series is rightly considered a cornerstone of PC gaming. Sprawling open-world RPGs built for freedom of choice, full of expressive systems of play and intricate character customization. No two players have the exact same experience, and everyone has stories to tell.
What Horror Movies Can Learn from Bloodborne - HollywoodInsider
What makes a masterpiece? This is a pretty vague and unhelpful question, but it almost inevitably enters your mind when thinking about the “best” of anything — be it movies, novels, or video games. A great movie, in my opinion, can be a masterpiece (a 10/10, if we were to rate it) based on three criteria: if its level of craftsmanship reaches close to objectively perfect, if it executes a certain quality exceedingly well compared to its contemporaries, and if it invokes a powerful and undeniable emotional response. These are not mutually exclusive, of course; something being expertly crafted can also stir strong emotions in the viewer/reader/player. FromSoftware’s ‘Bloodborne’, however, their 2015 follow-up to the runaway hit ‘Dark Souls’, is the kind of masterpiece that does a particular thing better than any other video game I know of: a macabre atmosphere.
Elden Ring is the Next Skyrim - Gamerant
No game is perfect. Many have expressed concerns about the second half of Elden Ring, its camera use, and more, but despite its flaws, gamers the world over have fallen in love with FromSoftware’s take on an open-world Souls game. Indeed, perhaps the reception could be most comparable to 2011’s Skyrim.

The different ways Elden Ring and Lost Ark engage Fantasy Fans - WS
So far in 2022, two massive role-playing games have dominated the top rankings on PC games storefront Steam: Elden Ring and Lost Ark. Both involve a ton of work, the kind of role-playing games where players must sink in dozens and dozens of hours to make significant progress. They also both cater to players who seek detailed, immersive role-playing experiences. To face endgame bosses, players plan out their builds and carefully gear up. However, Elden Ring� and Lost Ark have taken very different approaches in catering to that audience.
An Avatar: The Last Airbender RPG Would Be Better Than Jade Empire 2 - Screenrant
Jade Empire 2 is most likely not going to happen anytime soon, but a BioWare-style RPG based on Avatar: The Last Airbender would be the next-best thing. Due to their similar aesthetics and worldbuilding, an Avatar game built on the RPG elements that BioWare introduced in Jade Empire would be a handy consolation prize for the sequel being so suddenly canceled. It would also excite fans of the animated series, who have been clamoring for a game in this style for years.
Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms Preview - Wccftech
With Soulslike action combat, deep role-playing mechanics, and a reactive world, Alaloth: Champions of The Four Kingdoms is not a simple homage to classic cRPGs, but a full-fledged modern game with an old-school flair. One that I cannot wait to play to finally see for myself what mysteries this beautiful world is hiding.
Every Vampire: The Masquerade Game, Ranked - TheGamer
The World of Darkness series has recently seen an explosion in the number of video game adaptations it has gotten through its Vampire: The Masquerade titles. Within the span of just a few months, we've gotten two high-profile releases in the form of Bloodhunt and Swansong.

Last edited:
Well it's easy money selling cosmetics and expansions. It's the new MMO model. It wont be for me and others on the watch, but early beta numbers and feedback is good.

I was not referring to paid DLCs and cosmetics, though I know this is the norm. I meant, given the limitations of mobile OSes and the very hardware on which they run, how can they consider a game tailored for such system their "most ambitious" Diablo ever? Talk about lack of ambition!

Back
Top Bottom