Dead State - Brian Mitsoda Interview @ grupo97

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Iron Tower forums are pointing out an interview with Brian Mitsoda at a site called grupo97. I've filed it under Dead State but the author is obviously a Vampire: Bloodlines fan because the questions keep coming back to it:
Your work in Vampire Bloodlines is, in my opinion, brilliant. Can we expect to see something similar to the Malkavian dialogues in Dead State?
Not really. Malkavian insanity was part of the game world – there’s not really an equivalent in Dead State. We’ll probably use extra lines to expand dialogue choices and reaction.
Isometric perspective, turn combats, morals, complex IA... We should be thankful that someone dares to engage in such a project. It seems that today only the first person is admitted, while the turn-based role games have almost disappeared, even though that system provided masterpieces like Fallout or Arcanum. Are we doomed to see how turn-based combats become a relic of the past?.
I don’t know if that’s the case. There are so many platforms out there and so many people making games. Isometric turn-based on PC has been lacking as of late, but I’ve played a few on consoles, like the Disgaea series. We went with isometric turn-based because we wanted to build a lot of different environments and maps (which takes much longer in third/first person) and we wanted the combat to be ruled by tactics rather than reflexes. I’ve said it before, but I think the tension in X-Com was a big influence on our game.
More information.

Damn fine interview, thanks Dhruin for the story! Brian is one of the best writers in the business, got to love this guy! :party:

They should have asked him which game of his he intends to release first, AoD or Dead State.

They should have asked him which game of his he intends to release first, AoD or Dead State.
Not sure if it's a poor troll attempt or a misinformed question, considering how he has nothing to do with AoD development beside being close to VDweller.

Last edited:
Brian Mitsoda has nothing to do with AoD development you mean (I presume?).

Wait, so your saying VD is one of the best writers in the industry?

Sorry, had to keep it going. :p

Malkavian quotes:

Ventrue in a ponderous mood "If a man is a dude and a female a
dudette, then what would one call a neuter?"
Malkavian:" A dud."

Capt. Jean St. Dupris, Clan Gangrel:
"That's the worst thing about Malkavians…you never know whether
to shoot them or listen to them. They'll either lead you right to your
goal or try to get you to go sunbathing. Wouldn't surprise me if
God was a Malkavian."

Dennis Clark:
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Malkavians, for you are crunchy and good
with ketchup!"

Chris Noonan:
"…life is like a box of Malkavians, you never know what you're
gonna get…"

Lisa (aka Holly):
"Q: What's a Malkavian? A: Portable chaos."

Gangrel, on Malkavians:
"When a Malkavian speaks, listen. When a Malkavian acts, leave.
When two Malkavians gather, run."

Malkavian saying:
"When you find yourself falling into madness, dive!"

Raven Darksaint:
"All right, let's lay down some ground rules:
1.) Don't mess with a Malkavian
2.) Don't mess with a Malkavian when there are other Malkavians around
3.) Do _not_ mess with a Malkavian who's packing enough Dominate to make you act like a playful puppy (sit, fetch, roll over, play dead….GOOD BOY!)
4.) Don't mess with a Malkavian (did I forget to mention that?)
5.) Page XX (see Werewolf: the Apocalypse)
Any questions?"

This might be the only game I'm looking forward to, right now.

Ahh, the Malk references warm my heart.

"This might be the only game I'm looking forward to, right now."

Same here. Well, certainly the most. I do have some hopes for Skyrim and Stronghold 3. Oh, and AoD, whenever that might see the light of day. Oh, yeah, and the latest installment of the X space sim is in the works. I really have way more games than I have time for... :p

I WANT THIS GAME!!!!

It had to be said because the only game that comes close to this is Fort Zombie and maybe Project Zomboid. Fort Zombie demands A LOT of forgiveness to enjoy and Project Zomboid doesn't really have bases. They have tons of crafting right now, but it's still really raw.

Keep up the good work guys and release it soon PLEASE!!! or have a preorder and "get access to the beta" option.

Not a big fan of the salivating person doing the interview, but Brian sounds like a very level-headed and smart designer. Great stuff.

Even as a non-Zombie fan, I expect to buy this game and like it.

Back
Top Bottom