Dex - A New Cyberpunk 2D RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Dex is a new kickstarter looking for funding. It's described as a story-driven action/stealth side scrolling RPG with a fresh new vision of cyberspace.

Here is the link and more details if your interested.

A story-driven action/stealth sidescrolling RPG with a fresh new vision of cyberspace.

Explore the dark alleys of Harbor Prime and a host of diverse locations in both physical reality and the wild reaches of cyberspace. Discover the truth behind an enigmatic AI striving to reach the Singularity, a theoretical “event horizon” in which artificial intelligence will surpass human intelligence and all bets about the future will be off. How will you play your part in the story?

Rare melding of realism and creative vision: Realistic action, mature storyline, and complex character interactions meld with hand-drawn characters, animations, and locations, arcade-style melee combat, and an original conception of cyberspace.

Multiple solutions to problems: Operate in cyberspace or normal reality. Overcome obstacles using skills, weapons, special equipment…

Meaningful character progression choices: Will you be a silent assassin, a hacker, or a straightforward gunfighter? Improve your character and gear to unlock gameplay-changing upgrades that reinforce and customize your gameplay style.

Unique hacking mechanic: Transfer your consciousness to your avatar, overcome intrusion countermeasures, take action, and then return back to your body in a fraction of a real-time second to see the results – deactivated turrets, overloaded devices, enemies with crippled implants…

Neo-cyberpunk: Story deeply inspired by the cyberpunk novels of William Gibson and other classical cyberpunk authors, flavored with a contemporary concept of augmented reality.

Rich game world and mindful level design:
Visit diverse locations in Harbor Prime, a futuristic city complete with luxurious skyscrapers, run-down shantytowns, and seedy red-light districts. Take part in street brawls, steal corporate data, overcome environmental hazards, and, of course, stay alive – no easy task.

Full voice acting: Interactive dialogues using hand-drawn sprite animations, fully voice-acted by professional actors.

Multiplatform development: Game is being developed in the Unity 3D game engine for PC (Windows), Mac, Linux, and OUYA.

DRM-Free:
Dex will be distributed DRM-Free, with an option to receive a Steam key (if we succeed on Greenlight).
More information.

looks cool
hope it has depth

I so long for 2D games

Looks promising. Almost completely removed the bad taste that the Everquest money-grab video left. I wish them luck.

Looks interesting, I like the 2d sprites and atmosphere.

By the way, should they be worried about copyrights for using 'Dex': I thought that this is the name of the cartoon character that likes bugs!

Is there some financial reason why everyone waited until the same 2 weeks in November 2013 to Kickstart their RPG games? Do people have more money in November or is it the end of some tax holiday or something?

Trying to get in before the Black Friday holiday shopping spree destroys theoretical cash reserves, new consoles, eventual Steam Winter sales, etc.

A side-scroller RPG? It almost seems like an oxymoron. Looks nice though.

Is there some financial reason why everyone waited until the same 2 weeks in November 2013 to Kickstart their RPG games? Do people have more money in November or is it the end of some tax holiday or something?

Because it's before the X-mas shopping season starts in earnest?

Trying to get in before the Black Friday holiday shopping spree destroys theoretical cash reserves, new consoles, eventual Steam Winter sales, etc.

Yup, that. :)

It does look cool...whats the deal with it not using amazon payments to pay for it?

That looks quite unique. I like it.

What it reminds me of is the old D&D side scrollers....but really scifi instead heh.

Huh. For a game everyone seems interested in, the Kickstarter doesn't seem to be moving very quickly.

I think the buy in to get the game is so low that it will take a lot to get it goin.

Back
Top Bottom