The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Glorious Dawn (ft. Carl Sagan & Stephen Hawking) have already been mentioned in this thread… I currently listen to it at least once per day, usually when getting to and from the university. It's amazing.
I'm listening to my playlist of music videos on YouTube while doing some web design and got stuck on Glorious Dawn again. You are right, it's simply amazing. I love the refrain:

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way"

Some classical records I´ve been enjoying lately:

Somei Satoh - Litania
Mostly experimental piano plus some other instruments here and there, but still maintains hooks and is very meditative overall, such as this ethereal piece:
Birds in Warped Time

Gabriel Fauré - Requiem/Pavane
His requiem is great, but this nice little romantic composition is my favorite by him:
Pavane, Op. 50

Charles Ives - 4th Symphony
All movements are quite different from each other in overall mood and structure while still being strongly interrelated which makes listening to the whole symphony a very interesting journey.
Anyway, here´s the haunting and somewhat surreal finale:
Finale: Largo maestoso

Last edited:
Definitely Hinterland for me today. I think the flute work makes the tune quite haunting. Michaela's vocals are a bit of an acquired taste. I wanted "Red Light Camera", but this tune was a solid second place.

"Tiger Tiger" by Hinterland

Porcupine Tree has released a new album: The Incident. A mixture of metal and prog rock and psychedelia - typical PT. Better than the previous album in my opinion.

Here's an example: Time Flies - a shortened version (5 min) compared to the album (11 min).

The Orange Mountain Music Philip Glass Sampler Vol.I - it is FREE and a nice collection of stuff. I wrote a bit about it here, saying:

If you are a fan of modern classical composition, you are likely aware of the minimalist movement and composers such as Steve Reich, Terry Riley, John Adams,and Philip Glass. Glass gained fame in the 70’s for his operatic work ‘Einstein on the Beach’, and has been heard in many films with Academy Award nominations for Kundun, The Hours, and Notes on a Scandal. His work is not nearly as avant-garde as Riley, nor as rhythmically challenging as Reich, nor as epic as Adams, instead offering a combination of stark soundscapes, touching melodies, and passionate movements.

Another discovery via Vertigo. A nice merger of 80s new wave and dreampop, although I don't know that they were aiming for that:

"Destroy Me" by Marsheaux (no visuals, but it's the entire song)

In looking for the above, I found another vid from Marsheaux that's tremendously cool and will resonate nicely with gamers, me thinks. The song ain't half bad, either.
"Breakthrough"

Small caveat:
We could not process your order. The sale of MP3 Downloads is currently available only to US customers located in the 48 contiguous states, Alaska, Hawaii, and the District of Columbia.

Same for "Shakira and Danzig doing "Hips Dont Lie", all I get is "This video is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions."

This is infuriating. Internet + regional restrictions is so, so wrong!

Pretty pop. What a beautiful tune. Hadn't heard it in a while, but it popped up on Vertigo.

"Idyllwild" by Trembling Blue Stars

This has been my favorite song for about a week now:
Deathstars: Arclight
For some unfathomable reason, it makes me want to play some UT 2004… :p

The vocals aren't quite, ummmm, me, but I do like the instrumentation, Jaz.

currently i'm in the office and the only thing i'm listening to is the sound of the aircon..
and the sounds created by the keyboards and a li'l murmur of my officemates..
this place is really cold and peaceful and I really feel so sleepy.. Haaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom