The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

How do I treat hirelings, by the way ? Can someone please explain this this to me ?
I never did it so far, in any game.

Find the hireling vendor in Korthos or Stormreach if you have finished Korthos. You can buy most basic classes, Fighter, cleric, barb, palidin, and so on. You can only use one that is at or below your current level. Once you buy, you will see the icon in your inventory. Once in a quest or wilderness area you can double click the icon and summon that hireling to join your party. Clerics are the most used. They will heal you ect and you can control them via their bar. Must summon them at the start of the area, no where else.
You can also buy gold seal hirelings from ddo store. More choices there including rogues. You can summon goldseals anywhere in a quest and with already having a game purchased one in your party. That lets you have two or more in your party.
Helps if you are fighter, need a cleric and a rogue to do the quest you are on.
Hope that makes sense. ;)

@Peter: thanks for the information, I hope to have good time with you guys ^^.

@Alrik and bloodlover: I'm going online now until 8 p.m. (European time of course); my character's name is Leyring and I joined the guild today (/hail to everyone else btw) so if you want we can try to play together, I'm level 3 :D.

I think I need a clock hat tells me international times ... :lol:

Downloading the DDO client again. Maybe I can team up for once this time with my ultra-low character... I could probably play on any of my week nights if there's nothing else I need to do... and probably the weekend. That would be Central European Time (Holland).

The items you get from the Korthos quests are nice and you will get a lot of use out of them up til level six. Even a few are good to keep the life of the game. That and the few solo quests in Stormreach and a few others should get you to level 4.

I just played a bit. I'm still level 2. Not sure if I did everything on Korthos. But it would be nice to play with somebody else for a change. Also, I don't know half of how this game works yet, lol.

I have sent all of you guild invites, so let me know if you didn't get it. You can reset almost everything, but it costs you either Plat or TP's. You can get 1 free feat swap from a simple quest. Peter explained some of the resets in his post above.

DDO game guide and the wiki are helpful. It goes faster if someone can just tell you as you go, but this game has a lot of info to it and I still have to look up things on wiki. lol

Heck, Cm still has to look up her name on the Wiki to remember what it is!! :p :)

I have an absurd schedule, so my Thursdays are free, mostly. I usually sleep until noon, but whatever. I have a level 3 and a level 5 that can help, though without knowing exactly what time zone you're in, I can't guess when you can catch me on.

Skype - azrael4h

Mr Pump XIX - 3 Warforged Artificer
Ijii - 5 Half-Elven Bard/Fighter
Rachail - 8 TRed Half-Elven Monk
Murii - 9 Warforged Sorcerer (retired, mule)
Fireflash - 14 Exploiter Ranger
Aerii - 18 TRed Human Sorcerer
Mirys - 20 Half-Elven Favored Soul

Might be a good idea to establish a guild roster at this point. Corwin, you might take our characters and place them into the original post, so that a list can easily be found. I wouldn't worry about keeping up with levels, races, or classes, as that's easily found in game; just a list of which character belongs to who will make it easier to tell whose on. Especially for you, since you can't remember your own characters' names. ;)

Peter covered most of the important stuff, but here's a few things that will help a little.

1 - Fortification - Wear it. Early on you can do without, as light has minimal effect. Around 6-7 you want to find or steal a Moderate Fortification item. If you're extremely lucky, you might find one at ML4. As early as 9, you can have Heavy Fortification, which is very important. Fortification protects you from critical hits. Even in the early game, you'll see ogres in level 2 and 3 quests slam out 20-30hp of damage a hit, which is difficult for the low level healing abilities of the clerics and bards to keep up.

2 - Toughness feat - In PnP, the toughness feat is rather useless. In DDO, it gives 22 hp at level 20, and opens up both racial and class toughness enhancements. Each race has, at least, 2 enhancements for 10hp each. That means 42hp at the bare minimum. Some classes also have these enhancements, which stack with the racial ones.

A Warforged or Dwarf will have up to 4 racial toughness enhancements, Humans 3, and Half-Elves can either have 3 or 5, depending on their Dilettante feat. Fighters, Barbarians, Paladins, and Favored Souls all have class toughness enhancements, up to 4 tiers.

There is also a few items with the Toughness feat attached, these are very good to have. In particular, the Necro 4 pack has a helm called Minos Legens, which is ML11, and has Toughness and Heavy fortification all on one item. There's not a whole lot better in that slot for many builds.

3 - False Life - Items with the 'False Life' enchantment give additional hp; 5, 10, 20, 30, and 40.

With a Greater False Life, Toughness, and +6 CON item you can gain an additional 110hp over your base, regardless of feats or stats. I consider this basic gear, something you should aspire to have by 15 or so.

4 - Need cash? Sell essences. Cannith Crafting may be in your future, but for now, I'd suggest selling off those greater essences for plat to buy mire useful-to-you things. Notably, I try to keep at least a stack of 100 Cure Serious Wounds pots around, as well as pots for neutralize poison, disease removal, blindness removal, and lesser restoration. On those who can't cast it, carry resist energy pots. You can gather up decent stocks of these from breaking crates, but selling essences and buying them is faster and more reliable.

5 - Don't buy Drow. Friends don't let friends buy Drow from the DDO store. 400 favor is easy to get, real money means dealing with management.

Rather than forcing people to go back over a 1k of posts, might be easier to simply establish a new thread for character lists. That way people can post and update their own chars.

That's why putting it on the first page makes sense; a separate thread would likely get lost as no one is going to be posting it it much, if at all. Whereas with this one, just clicking on the thread's link in the off topic will bring up that very first post.

Yeah you should sticky the character list thread so that it doesn't get lost.

Thanks very much to all of you : You are really helpful for me.

Next question on hirelings : How long will they stay with me ? If I plan to go from the starting town to the main capital, will they follow me ?

Do they demand something from me, like daily costs ?

The cost raises with hirelings' level (you'll see that when you arrive in Stormreach ;)).
They stay with you one hour in-game (so if you log out and there's still time, the hireling will be available the next time you log in) and you can summon them only at the entrance of a dungeon. After you go out, they disappear and you have to summon them again if you need them for the next quest.
And no, they don't want daily costs :).

I'd propose a sticky thread in the MMO forum. New players are more likely to look in MMO than pull up a "Team Corwin" thread in Off-topic. Title the sticky thread "RPGWatch Guild for DDO". Actually, I'll just go do it. We'll just need the appropriate mod to make it sticky.

I'm almost done with Korthos Island and only have Hard and Elite for Misery Peak left. It is really useful having a Cleric with you and haven't needed any potions on Elite and since potions are far more expensive then hirelings it saves a huge amount of money.

PS. The count down for hirelings is only active outside of public areas while logged on.

PPS. I am currently level 1 Bard, level 1 Fighter, and level 1 Barbarian.

Already done, Peter. Keep up, man. ;)

Back
Top Bottom