No Mutants Allowed - Fallout 4 Wish List

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
My wish is that they return the series to turn-based combat, rather than Bethesda's clunky first person action RPG crap.

My wish is that they return the series to turn-based combat, rather than Bethesda's clunky first person action RPG crap.

Ugh… hell no!

FO 1&2 were great games back in the day, but I love the first-person exploration of FO3.

Combat wasn't a strong point of the earlier games anyways, at least not for me.

Give us another game like FO3 with a new location, characters, etc. - Just don't make it so damn easy this time, or at least include a hardcore mode like FO:NV had.

Sorry the way it is now is here to stay nothing is going to change that. I use to complain about the combat also, but the last two were enjoyable.

Thanks to kickstarter we may just get a few more RPG's like the old fallout games. We even have Wasteland 2.

I just wish they would expand VATS into a full turn-based system. It would still be from the first person perspective and have everything else that is really good about the newer games and also have turn-based combat.

Take Fallout 3 - take the story seriously - take the mechanics and difficulty seriously.

Make it a new location.

That's it.

Better melee combat. Melee felt like just walking into someone's face and bashing it in repeatedly with mouse clicks. More "survival" feeling.

But really, as long as they continue with mod support (and why wouldnt they, Bethesda gets that mod support = sales) I'll likely be happy only with what the community will come up with.

I want to see the goddamned corpse/books stutter engine bug fixed already and an ingame option to disable (reach level cap in 20 mins by grinding) mobrespawns.

Thanks to kickstarter we may just get a few more RPG's like the old fallout games. We even have Wasteland 2.

Hallelujah, brother! Also, Underrail, and a ton of other non-apocalyptic turn-based games. Shadowrun Returns is coming out this week!

Make VATS a hybrid Turn-based combat option rather than an instant "I-WIN" button. Not to be confused with an awesome button.

Don't let your 6 year olds handle the writing again.

OMG so that's the reason FO went down with profanity and nudity in FO3!

Make VATS a hybrid Turn-based combat option rather than an instant "I-WIN" button. Not to be confused with an awesome button.
Yeah the difficulty in and out of vats was a bit too stark at some points. I can remember some combats which were, because of my gear or level, nearly impossible without VATS. With vats they were not exactly instant victory, but reduced to more tedium than actual challenge.

Hopefully with the new console generation they will be able to leverage the higher CPU power across all platforms such that difficulty can come from more effectively behaving enemies than swarms and high hitpoints. I think that would allow for a more balanced sense of jeopardy in and out of vats.

Considering the best writing in that game was the writing in some of the series of computer logs and notes which told the stories of various places leading up to the bombs falling… they should give whoever wrote those a lead writing position and a lot more say in how the story comes together. I'm not just saying that just because they were good compared to the main plot but because they contained some of the genuinely better writing I've encountered in games. If they can leverage the talent behind giving the ruined locations in Fallout 3 their own stories and senses of history into writing their main plot, they should be pretty golden.

Actually, come to think of it, some of the very best writing across all elder scrolls games is actually in some of those books too - particularly some of the stories involving Sheogorath and other Daedra lords.

Considering the best writing in that game was the writing in some of the series of computer logs and notes which told the stories of various places leading up to the bombs falling… they should give whoever wrote those a lead writing position and a lot more say in how the story comes together.
As someone who has dabbled in games writing, short story writing and novel writing, I can say that whipping up those short descriptions and vignettes is worlds away from writing an entire story. Big picture writing is a different, and much more difficult to master, skill set.

Not to imply that the big picture writing in FO3 was good. It wasn't.

Personally I'd like to see them either make the combat completely turn based (unlikely to happen) or completely action based. I'm happy with either type of combat, what I'm not happy with are systems that try to do both at once and which end up with neither being satisfying.

I'd love to see San Fran as the next Obsidian setting. There's just so much there to do, unique terrain, unique infrastructure…

If they went outside the US, I always thought it'd be neat to see what Japan was doing. Are they holding out from the Chinese on a fortress island, or are they technologically superior slaves to them? Did they revert to some sort of pseudo-shogun feudal system? Did they become landlocked cannibals?

First wish: it never gets made.
Second: failing that make it so bad the fallout 1+2 fanboys who worry about canon and story over gameplay have a heart attack.

First wish: it never gets made.
Second: failing that make it so bad the fallout 1+2 fanboys who worry about canon and story over gameplay have a heart attack.
Didn't that already happen with FO3? I don't think anyone's going to have a second heart attack.

Back
Top Bottom