Cyberpunk 2077 - A Postmortem

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
NeverKnowsBest analyzes Cyberpunk 2077:

Cyberpunk 2077 - A postmortem of 2020's biggest game

After years of uncontrolled hype public opinion has now turn to hate but is Cyberpunk 2077 as bad as people say?
Thanks Redglyph!

More information.

Really? People are really willing to spend almost two hours hearing some dude ranting (or whatever) about a game? If it was 10 minutes, ok, but 2 hours? Who the f... cares that much about some random guy's opinion?

I can assure you that he's analyzing the game and not ranting about the game.
A comparison to the Witcher 3 is also included.

Really? People are really willing to spend almost two hours hearing some dude ranting (or whatever) about a game? If it was 10 minutes, ok, but 2 hours? Who the f… cares that much about some random guy's opinion?

While the video the first 8-10 mins talking about how we got here, the rest seems to be an analysis of the game itself, aside from the technical state of the game. Haven't watched it fully, but that's what seems to be the case. I've watched the first 15mins, as I've seen other videos from this guy and liked them.

One of his great videos, I think, there are also a few funny references.

It's more or less the conclusions we had here in early discussions on CP2077. I think the comparison with The Witcher 3 (and some others) brings the point back to reality, where so many other critics compare the game to what they wished it was.

I don't know if I'm the only one feeling that way, sometimes it seems he's forcing the arguments a little bit, not much but just enough to reach the conclusion he's aiming at, and so he doesn't look 100% subjective to me, but who is anyway? His analysis is certainly more sensible and thorough than all the reviews we have seen.

Yes, it's a bit long but the different parts are listed, it's not mandatory to watch them all. @Irian; He's not a random guy, he's quite known for his analysis and reviews. If you can't appreciate long videos, his channel is definitely not for you ;)

While the video the first 8-10 mins talking about how we got here, the rest seems to be an analysis of the game itself, aside from the technical state of the game.
He looks at different angles, technical, bugs, story, immersion, style, customer expectation / hype, market reaction… The only angle he doesn't cover is the company's point of view, but that would require an entire video and interviews with them, as NoClip does.

Shouldn't a postmortem be years after release?

Which Jim?
If you ask Jim Sterling, it was dead before the release. ;)

Hmm…all this feels like beating a dead horse nowadays.:p

Years from now no one will care as it's not the first game that had a botched release.

@Redglyph; your correct everyone had high expectations only to get slapped by reality and get Witcher 2.0. Is it fair?Who knows. Still the console versions are a mess.

Anyway more patches, free dlc, and the expansions will make the game better.

Hmm…all this feels like beating a dead horse nowadays.:p
Well, it is a postmortem ;)

More seriously, it's not a beating, the technical conclusion is that CP2077 is an improvement on TW3.

Yeah, apparently it crashes quite a lot on consoles. I don't own one but NeverKnowsBest said it's quite rare to see this? And it's a reputation mess too, Sony removing it from its store is quite the message. Anyway, he shows videos of what The Witcher looked like on console in its early days, that wasn't pretty either.

DF has Cyberpunk on number 1 in the graphics department and are seriously impressed:

When I look at the images then I'm also impressed. This is contradictory to what I read elsewhere regarding low density crowds, floating stuff, etc.

Edit: seems I can't embed youtube videos at a certain time. Cyberpunk is at 33:21

Well, it is a postmortem ;)

More seriously, it's not a beating, the technical conclusion is that CP2077 is an improvement on TW3.

Yeah, apparently it crashes quite a lot on consoles. I don't own one but NeverKnowsBest said it's quite rare to see this? And it's a reputation mess too, Sony removing it from its store is quite the message. Anyway, he shows videos of what The Witcher looked like on console in its early days, that wasn't pretty either.
Relax I'm joking but you have to agree it's still to early for a Postmortem of a just released game. I did enjoy the guys Mass Effect videos in the last few years.

Especially the Andromeda ones.:biggrin:

Also yeah Witcher III was a mess on consoles as well. The PS4 version was the worst version. Looking back they never should have released their games on consoles.

As those versions are always inferior to their PC versions.:(

DF has Cyberpunk on number 1 in the graphics department and are seriously impressed:

When I look at the images then I'm also impressed. This is contradictory to what I read elsewhere regarding low density crowds, floating stuff, etc.
Well when you can max out everything the games visuals are impressive.

Seriously I'm starting to think most of the Cyberpunk 2077's budget went to graphics, music, and the star voice overs. As that's were the game shines the best.

Pfft.. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I've got almost 80 hrs on this game, and am only 40% through the main quest.

It's not dead, yet.
Two play-through's with everything finished and played around 140hrs. If I break it down maybe 74 hrs on each. Seems I finish my games faster then most RPGWatch members.

I've got 113.7 hours played so far. Postmortem seems a bit rushed in this case but considering all the hype and attention around its release it makes sense - its a high profile game after all.

As for the video itself - was too long for me to watch much of it, prefer reading stuff. Also doesn't mean much to me as I have the game and love playing it. I am more interested in stuff that we will never know for sure - what happened on the corporate end to fuck up the release so badly.

Back
Top Bottom