Bard's Tale IV - Progress Report

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A progress report for The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep.

Release Update

Hi everyone, work on the Director's Cut is going very well, and we're excited to share more about our progress today. As you're aware, we were acquired by Microsoft late last year, and they've been a truly amazing partner, providing us access to new resources and refinement processes, and allowing us to take the time we want to ensure we make this the definitive edition of The Bard's Tale IV. The good news is that the wait won't be that much longer, as we're targeting late summer for a release of the Director's Cut on Windows, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

We'll be sharing more news on specific dates in the near future, but for now here is a video on the changes from the game's Creative Director, David Rogers, detailing what you'll find in this new Director's Cut.

And here are a few shots of some of the new features to look forward to--ones inspired by the feedback you gave us.

<div class="template asset">

I presume it'll be free to current owners of the game? Hate to think I'd have to pay more just to get the version of the game it should have been from the start.

Good news if its free, it won't hurt to sit a little bit longer in my backlog.

I actually ended up really enjoying the combat system of this game -- but hardly played any of it since the slowdown bugs were so brutal at release. I'll be pleased to give it another go at some point in an updated form.

I backed this but have yet to play it and this looks like a good reason to keep not playing it.:biggrin:

Really a great game.

Maybe I'll play it again with Director's Cut.

I loved story driven blobbers of old, like Land of Lore or Stonekeep. After Directors Cut is patched through I will probably dig in.

This is one of those games that was cursed by its name. As a party-based, puzzle-driven first-person dungeon game, it was really good. As a Bard's Tale game, it was perhaps just too different from the older games to feel like a continuation. Love it for what it is, I think, not what it ain't!

It really wasn't a bad game; but there was one unfinished area - and some balance as well as scale issues (bugs). Hopefully the enhanced version cleans up those few areas and it might be a really good game ... but not sure it can get past the initial negative storm.

Maybe it'll be decent to play now. Maybe. They almost need to rebrand it though, given the reputation.

I won't be diving in until this is fully complete. I'll be doing my best to keep my expectations and fan-hopes in check, but I suspect that action will be harder than the main boss fight in the game. :)

Back
Top Bottom