Help with a crossword puzzle

P

pibbur who

I've got problems with a crossword puzzle (yes, it's in Norwegian, but you might still be able to help me).

Que is "Gjennomtrekk", which can be translated to "draught" or "turnover". And the only solution I can find is "agil", which doesn't make much sense. "Agil" translates as far as I know only into "agile" in English. I can't find any examples in Norwegian where that word is used as a synonym for "draught"/"turnover". Besides, "agil" ("agile") is an adjective, while the word I'm looking for must be a noun.

However, sometimes crosswords like words very rarely used in Norwegian, and quite often those words come from a foreign language.

So my questions is: In the language you speak, are there any examples where "agile" or "agil" or something similar can be a synonyme for "turnover" or "draught"?

pibbur who at the moment is not very agile.

No, I can't think of anything that quite fits the bill. I don't suppose the word "flip" is any use, which might work with turnover?

Does hest or vind work?
Does it have to be agil?

Last edited:
Gjennomtrekk translates via google to 'pull'. Putting pull into a reverse definition gives trekke. Hoist translated to norse is heise. But without knowing which letters you have nor how many letters long the answer is it's difficult to search close words and try out random things.

Gjennomtrekk is draught.
Draught is british for draft.
Norwegian Fjordhest is a local draught horse.
Draught beer, draught of beer.
Draught can be a wind/vind that filters through the cracks of a house.

No idea on turnover translation. Never heard that before.

Gjennomtrekk is draught.
Draught can be a wind/vind that filters through the cracks of a house.
That's one of the meanings of "Gjennomtrekk".
No idea on turnover translation. Never heard that before.
If for instance at a workplace employees stay for an unusual short period before they decide to quit, we say that there is a huge "gjennomtrekk". It's a figure of speech. I thought that the word for that in English would be "turnover".

pibbur

Gjennomtrekk translates via google to 'pull'. Putting pull into a reverse definition gives trekke. Hoist translated to norse is heise. But without knowing which letters you have nor how many letters long the answer is it's difficult to search close words and try out random things.

Google translation from "gjennomtrekk" to "pull" is wrong.

pibbur who

Thanks to all of you for trying. It was a shot in the blind. I guess I'll have to wait until they publish the solution.

pibbur

That's one of the meanings of "Gjennomtrekk".

If for instance at a workplace employees stay for an unusual short period before they decide to quit, we say that there is a huge "gjennomtrekk". It's a figure of speech. I thought that the word for that in English would be "turnover".

pibbur

Ok in that context gjennomtrekk could mean agile, as in the millennium software workforce the skills are highly transferrable so they bounce from contract to contract. Creates a high amount of turnover but not always negative. Agile is also a methodology used in programming/development.

If nothing works, listen to some nice music and wait for solution.
Although now you have to tell us what it was :)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hMNtO2_NY4s

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for trying. It was a shot in the blind. I guess I'll have to wait until they publish the solution.

pibbur

A shot in the blind….
I think that is not the expression you wanted :)

A shot in the dark = a random guess, a hopeful try, shooting into the night attempting to hit something.

Or

A blind shot = also a random guess, where you can't see the target, golf shot over trees, basketball throw over the shoulder etc.

And for further linquistic fun, a blind can be the camoflauged hut that hunters hide in to await prey. So if you shot in the blind you are shooting at the hunter:)

Dutch words:
Verloop (= your description of gjennomtrekk, not being ‘omzet’, which is ‘turnover)
Tocht (draft)

Edit
‘Tocht’ is not only ‘draft’ but ‘a trip’ as well.

Today's task - doing Norwegian crossword puzzles in the dark.

Doesn't agil being an adjective rule it out as a candidate, though?

A shot in the blind….
I think that is not the expression you wanted :)

A shot in the dark = a random guess, a hopeful try, shooting into the night attempting to hit something.

Or

A blind shot = also a random guess, where you can't see the target, golf shot over trees, basketball throw over the shoulder etc.

Thanks for the correction.

And for further linquistic fun, a blind can be the camoflauged hut that hunters hide in to await prey. So if you shot in the blind you are shooting at the hunter:)
Ouch!

A Tom Lehrer song seems in order: The Hunting song

"I always will remember
'Twas a year ago November
I went out to hunt some deer
On a mornin' bright and clear
I went and shot the maximum the game laws would allow
Two game wardens, seven hunters, and a cow
"

pibbur who never shot any hunters. Or sheriffs.

Today's task - doing Norwegian crossword puzzles in the dark.

Doesn't agil being an adjective rule it out as a candidate, though?

Sort of. But crossword authors are notoriously evil, and love extremely rare uses of words. So there may be a noun hidden deep in the darkness of obscure dictionaries.,

pibbur who has no illusions when it comes to that type of humans in 6 letters beginning with a 'p'.

Out of curiosity, what is the Norwegian equivalent of the Oxford Dictionary - one with all the exhaustive detail on the history and nuance of each word?

That is a bit difficult to answer, as there are several claiming to be the biggest dictionary, having around 200 000 to 300 000 words. There is however an on line dictionary, "Stor norsk ordbok" (big Norwegian dictionary) which contains data from several huge dictionaries.

Pibbur

Thanks for the correction.

Ouch!

A Tom Lehrer song seems in order: The Hunting song

"I always will remember
'Twas a year ago November
I went out to hunt some deer
On a mornin' bright and clear
I went and shot the maximum the game laws would allow
Two game wardens, seven hunters, and a cow
"

pibbur who never shot any hunters. Or sheriffs.

What about the deputy?

Sort of. But crossword authors are notoriously evil, and love extremely rare uses of words. So there may be a noun hidden deep in the darkness of obscure dictionaries.,

pibbur who has no illusions when it comes to that type of humans in 6 letters beginning with a 'p'.

Poetic?

Back
Top Bottom