The TV Series discussion thread

I'm not a huge Disney fan and I usually watch the more realistic and gritty shows. I don't care what anyone says, baby Yoda is about the cutest thing I have ever seen.

I don't care what anyone says, baby Yoda is about the cutest thing I have ever seen.

Next year, Disney ups their worth in billions of $.

Ouch! :D

I have to ask something though. As everyone knows, I didn't like Star Wars movies post the original trilogy and kinda thought I'm not gonna invest a minute of my time into any of it. Rogue One put the nail in the coffin, I wish I could get my money back!

Is this new series the same cringeworthy boredom as post original trilogy movies or it's concept is more like Clone Wars and Rebels?

Ouch! :D

I have to ask something though. As everyone knows, I didn't like Star Wars movies post the original trilogy and kinda thought I'm not gonna invest a minute of my time into any of it. Rogue One put the nail in the coffin, I wish I could get my money back!

Is this new series the same cringeworthy boredom as post original trilogy movies or it's concept is more like Clone Wars and Rebels?

I hate the new trilogy but i'm a big fan of the Clone Wars series (and Rebels is pretty good too.) It's not on such grand scale as Clone Wars, i guess that would've been too expensive.. it's good, but not as good as clone wars, so far.
I did like Rogue One personally, even Solo was OK imo.. doubtful you would like this, but worth a try.

As everyone knows, I didn't like Star Wars movies post the original trilogy
Well, as everyone knows:
- I actually liked Dungeon Lords
- I rank some of the newer movies higher than Return of the Jedi
- I will ALWAYS go on opening night to see any new Star Wars movie and buy it on day of home release.

So I might not be the best to ask! :D

That said - I enjoyed Solo well enough for what it was, and same for Rogue One in spite of the main character having absolutely no agency and so many of her actions and motivations being nonsensical.

I watched the original ‘Clone Wars Cartoon’ series - those quick vignettes and a bit of the subsequent series, but have never seen more recent stuff or any of Rebels. So I can’t compare.

I have to ask something though. As everyone knows, I didn't like Star Wars movies post the original trilogy and kinda thought I'm not gonna invest a minute of my time into any of it. Rogue One put the nail in the coffin, I wish I could get my money back![/B]?

As for Mandalorians ... as I said before, it is an episodic ‘Spaghetti Western’ with Star Wars themes. I think it is well done, the characters are interesting as is the slow build, and I actually like the ‘conflict of the week against over-arching larger plot’ structure.

I find it disingenuous that many here differentiate having a plot element centered around ‘The Child’ (Yoda baby) compared to the T&A elements that they often celebrate in their shows of choice. I see all McGuffins as essentially equal - and at least this one has significant lore implications.

But tastes differ ... I enjoyed it, and my film student son loves it for technical reasons as well (the one who insisted I watch Drive again). And we got to watch the last episode together over the holiday which is a rarity, so that is cool!

As for Mandalorians … as I said before, it is an episodic ‘Spaghetti Western’ with Star Wars themes.
My new avatar…
Instacrush because I thought it's a hint on Firefly/Serenity, not realizing at that point it's photoshopped something else. ;)

mandalorian-poster-detail-crop.jpg

Thanks guys, I'll definetly go for it next year (december = dry wallet in my case).

IHowever, you have to admit the Disney influence is pretty obvious in Mandalorian.

Do I? Nope. What I have to admit is that the only real issues being raised are from the ‘OMG I am simply too cool and manly for anything that is popular’ BS nonsense and have this vague whiff of misogyny and self-righteous toxic masculinity ... that frankly I have come to expect from many in the PC gaming crowd but generally most of you guys are better than that most of the time.

What you will find if you look around is this:
the main split among Star Wars fans is whether or not you like the show, really like the show, or love the show. It seems to be uniting the Star Wars fanbase on a level we have not seen in ages.

So yeah ... whatever.

typical deflecting BS

Really cool thing is you can look on page after page in this thread and find you making absolute assertions and veiled insults, and when challenged the insults become ‘a joke’ and the assertions drop to ‘I never asked’.

You did, and you did.

And now, as usual, you drop back and make an assertion that I am ‘butthurt’. Typical, and predictable- because that is what you do.

Look - I don’t own (much) stock in Disney, don’t have a financial stake in Mandalorians or Star Wars, am not related to any of the people involved, and so I really don’t have any thoughts beyond that I think the show is pretty decent and reasonable fun. I compare it to a spaghetti western intentionally for several obvious reasons.

If you are not a fan, fine ...

I figured I'd get around to watching The Mandalorian eventually, but I haven't exactly been excited for it. But now with all the talk about the show being Baby Yoda, Baby Yoda, Baby Yoda, it seems like if that's all anyone cares about, the show must be pretty shit. What little interest I had has all but evaporated.

The show is much more than Baby Yoda, and I think Mike's comparison to a Spaghetti Western is quite apt. It's not great, but it is enjoyable and I'll continue to watch it!! :)

Back
Top Bottom