Larian Studios - Website Tease

After the last offering from Larian Studios, I admit to being trepidatious about them being able to do justice to this property. While I enjoyed the heck out of the first Original Sin, the second to me was a serious misstep. I'll be watching the progress avidly, and just hoping for the best.

I'll just leave this here
236f03e1eb402151abe85d02f683c800.jpg

This might be worth a look also
https://twitter.com/SlyFlourish/status/1120795551371538434

Larian didnt deny it.

Media guys asked Larian two questions:

Do Larian own the rights to the Baldur’s Gate IP?
Is Baldur’s Gate III currently in development at Larian?

Larian sent this reply:

We have nothing more to share right now.
Enjoy the ride 😉

If true… A single-player, D&D game, made by Larian… AND a sequel to Baldur's Gate?

A part of me has come to this board, day after day for years, wishing an announcement like this.

Attachments

• 139558-140001.jpg
    139558-140001.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 118
Not sure what Olwcat making a decent game has to do with anything. You obviously took my comment as "anything not made in NA isn't as good", which is funny because that wasn't what I was implying at all, and many of my favorite games are European.

I'm sorry dude, but it sounded like you were disqualifying them for their nationality. I'm not the only one that had this impression, I think. But if you are saying that this is not what you meant, by all means, I apologize.

The original game was Baldur's Gate, so no, turn-based is not more true to it. Why change it to turn-based when all 4 games in the series are RTwP?

Well, if you look at it from this perspective I agree with you. But IMO these game are ultimately D&D games, therefore TB seems more appropriate.

And why do you assume those wanting RTwP are "hating" turn-based?

I don't. But you didn't reply to my comment saying "I disagree, I like RTwP most", you said just "no". And it sounded hateful…

As far as who develops it, I'd rather see it done by people who are more intimately familiar with the series. Beamdog would probably have been my first choice since there are developers there who actually worked on the original trilogy.

BG series is 20 years old. I don't even remember what I ate yesterday, so I'm very skeptical about people claiming that experience from that long ago makes a difference. But who knows, right? I'm not a game developer. I'm also skeptical about the Beamdog, they are being criticized all the time for their games. I was so hyped about their last game (NWN EE), and after I bought it I was somewhat disappointed.

Last edited:
Deviancy: Original S&M

No? I'll take Baldur's Goat for 200 then. Although the symbols remind me of Quake for some reason.

As far as who develops it, I'd rather see it done by people who are more intimately familiar with the series. Beamdog would probably have been my first choice since there are developers there who actually worked on the original trilogy.

Beamdog would probably be my last choice. A high profile / high expectations title like Baldur's Gate 3 made by a small studio who's literally never made/released a full game of their own yet? Most likely a recipe for a disappointing disaster.

Obsidian or Larian would be my choice, I suppose.

If this is indeed Baldur's Gate 3, then I would hope they do it like POE2 and give us an option to choose between TB and RTWP. I would be pissed if it was just RTWP.

Well, if you look at it from this perspective I agree with you. But IMO these game are ultimately D&D games, therefore TB seems more appropriate.

That might have been a valid argument before they made the first game, but I don't think it would make much sense now after all these years of the series being RTwP. I'd have no objection to them including both modes like Obsidian did with PoE II.

I don't. But you didn't reply to my comment saying "I disagree, I like RTwP most", you said just "no". And it sounded hateful…

I'll try to be more gentle with you in the future. ;)

BG series is 20 years old. I don't even remember what I ate yesterday, so I'm very skeptical about people claiming that experience from that long ago makes a difference. But who knows, right? I'm not a game developer. I'm also skeptical about the Beamdog, they are being criticized all the time for their games. I was so hyped about their last game (NWN EE), and after I bought it I was somewhat disappointed.

Beamdog would probably be my last choice. A high profile / high expectations title like Baldur's Gate 3 made by a small studio who's literally never made/released a full game of their own yet? Most likely a recipe for a disappointing disaster.

Obsidian or Larian would be my choice, I suppose.

They just made Siege of DragonSpear in 2016, and, minus some (barely) controversial dialogue, that came out pretty good. On the other hand, Larian has never developed anything very similar to the IE games. While I like them a lot, their games are of a very different style, especially their brand of humor, and I'm not sure they're the best fit to make a sequel to Baldur's Gate.

I would have vastly preferred Obsidian over Larian, but I'm guessing they wouldn't have had the funds to outbid Swen Vincke for the license.

Last edited:
I would be pissed if it was just RTWP.

Oh my, pissed? As in angry? Wow! How on earth did you cope with enjoying the original series enough to care about a sequel? Did you spend 300 hours going through the original series grinding your teeth and swearing at the screen only to eventually conclude that you loved the game so much that you'd love to see more?

Have you ever considered seeing a professional to discuss your life choices?

Well I would like another d&d RPG that's good and larian is competent. At least it's not Beamdog quality:)

Yea, no Beamdog. I'm glad its Larian if this whole rumor is true. And it would be fantastic if the game was turn-based. Nowadays, I'm much more attuned to turn-based than real time with pause, that system is just plain inferior to turn-based. IMHO.

I want every serious old school rpg to be turn-based these days.

Still waiting for that sequel to Divine Divinity, Larian. Why don't you listen to me? An isometric open world action RPG with strong roleplaying mechanics. Am I asking too much? :)

Yeah, I need Minsc in there somewhere, even if just as an NPC. I played at least partway through BGII many times, and the one common denominator in all of my parties was Minsc and Boo.

My chars always were a bit too "opportunistic" for Minsc to stay around for long. Even had to "permanently retire" him a few times.

Anyway, I read the new D&D edition is set 100 years in the future, so it is unlikely we will see the old BG cast again. But then it's fantasy, right? They can always pull some shenanigans.

Personally, I have little interest in the Baldur's Gate franchise; despite numerous attempts at Bioware's titles, I have so far always run out of motivation to slog through yet another RTwP combat mess and quit my playthroughs somewhere along the way.

If there was a turn-based variant, however, it might pique my interest sufficiently to give it another try. D:OS was of the rare recent-ish RPGs that actually made me enjoy combat encounters.

If they do it right I dont care much whether it will be TB or RtWP. On the other hand I would suggest them to make choice and live with it from beginning, rather then try to please everyone. I would probably like if they didnt make direct sequel and rather did something detached prom original story. I am also bit concerned about artistic design as I wasnt fan of Original Sin design.

If BG3 indeed, dont really care who does it if its done right. If by Larian, i hope they ditch the colorful graphics and go for something way darker and grim.

"Baldur's Gate III: The adventures of Minsc and Boo" could fit the traditional Larian style very well.

Jokes aside, I assume they're big fans of the original and know how to do it justice, so I'm excited about this. However, I'd probably be more excited if it was simply a completely new D&D game by Larian, as I don't think the Baldur's Gate series needs another game. The story is over.

I'm not feeling it :(

Personally, I didn't enjoy both D:OS games much and I think Larian style won't really fit BG..

Also, why don't they just make another IP rather than forcefully continue BG saga?

Given the number 3 that is being teased, I think we can rule out any original IP. The next Divinity game would be the third, as would be another Original Sin game. Although teasing a next Original Sin game like this is a bit odd perhaps, given that it could be a bit to obvious.
During the development of DOS2, Swen has been in the WotC offices, presumably to talk about using the module that has ended up in the GM mode of DOS2, but they might have talked about more than just that.

Back
Top Bottom