Nintendo loses $1-1,36 billion with a B

Lucky Day

Daywatch
reports are varied but Nintendo seems to have last $1billion in a dramatic drop of Wii sales compared to last year?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20126369-17/nintendo-loses-nearly-$1-billion-as-wii-sales-plummet/

Portable sales are also not looking bright on top of reports that many titles for the DS are being pushed back till next year.

Is this the end of the current fad in consoles?

That news doesn't surprise me at all. How do they expect to keep selling units of a system that they're not making any good games for? I've purchased exactly 1 Wii game in the last year and a half. There's just a severe lack of quality titles for that system.

Too little too late by Nintendo. Only now are they finally releasing good RPGs like Xenoblade (released in europe), Last story, and Pandoras Tower.

Too little too late by Nintendo. Only now are they finally releasing good RPGs like Xenoblade (released in europe), Last story, and Pandoras Tower.

Releasing them in some places perhaps. None of the games you mention are being released over here. In fact, I had to Google Last Story and Pandora's Tower because I had never even heard of those games. Apparently Nintendo doesn't think NA gamers are still interested in RPGs.

Have you seen Wii U? WTF is that thing. It's like they took all the innovation from the Wii and threw it out the door.

I expect better games to be released for the PS3 copycat thing and the Kinect. Nintendo still has that "for kids only" label. At least that's how I still look at Nintendo products.

I was interested in the Wii when it first came out, but held off. Glad I did. Kinect beats the living hell out of that thing and I get to play good games like Red Dead Redemption when I don't want to jump around like an idiot. Exercise for awhile then kick back and enjoy some zombie shooting fun :)

It's amazing that there aren't more and better games available for Kinect right now. It's been out for too long to be ignored by developers and MS. It's about time they got something out that's not a dance game, or some gimmicky mess.

Nintendo is still 'ahead' in console sales by a huge margin ... which really speaks to the market saturation. We have the Wii in our living room ... and am not sure the last time we actually used it. The X360 gets tons more use by my kids - between gifts, purchases and Goozex they have ~40 or so games, more than the Wii we've had since launch.

But the problem is the extent to which iOS and Android devices have cannibalized the casual / low end market served previously by the DS and PSP. Nintendo already took a massive price cut to th e3DS - and heck, even I don't have one and I buy everything!

The PSP Vita has been declared DOA by multiple analysts, and I have no doubt it will be only a marginal device - especially since Sony shoowed total incompetence handling the PSP ... particularly the PSP Go which I really love.

It's amazing that there aren't more and better games available for Kinect right now. It's been out for too long to be ignored by developers and MS. It's about time they got something out that's not a dance game, or some gimmicky mess.
Its propably too imprecice for any real game. Too hard and risky for the devs to get the controls working properly.

Future versions of xbox and kinect will have better motion detection and more raw power to analyze the results to so I think its only matter of waiting the next generation.

I'm hoping LoZ: Skyward Sword will mean the Wii gets dusted off and used. Early reviews seem promising.

But yeah it hasn't been used in a while. The last game I bought was Goldeneye, what a disappointment compared to the N64 original.

Its propably too imprecice for any real game. Too hard and risky for the devs to get the controls working properly.

Future versions of xbox and kinect will have better motion detection and more raw power to analyze the results to so I think its only matter of waiting the next generation.

Go read Yahtzee's review of it at The Escapist and also his further thoughts in his Extra Punctuation column. Is it not only imprecise but misused by the games that support it.

Which of course is also a problem with many Wii games.

I am surprised the article didnt mention the yen issue which account for roughly a third of the loss. not to mention that Nintendo are selling the 3ds at a loss too. All in all a horrible article that misses major issues with Japanese companies.

Sony is also having problems they are almost at negative credit rating. They lost a similar amount $1.156 billion dollars.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-07-sony-put-on-negative-credit-watch

Have you seen Wii U? WTF is that thing. It's like they took all the innovation from the Wii and threw it out the door.

Eh, what? The wii U still uses the wiimore and nunchuckbut they are offering the touch screen controller for normal games. Apparently they are working on making 2 touchscreen controllers possible with it but that is a rumor at this point.

As for the next gen xbox it is supposedly $300 and uses ARM chips. We will see how that goes. Kinect is really cool however it is only great for athletic games and dance games. You cant really use it for normal games althought people are trying(like with kinect fable). On the other hand Zelda SS has been getting high scores because of the controller wiimote plus.

Incase anyone is wondering where the xbox next info is coming from:

The Xbox is another story altogether. With a heady mix of rumors, tips and speculation, I am now stating that Xbox codename “loop” (the erstwhile XboxTV) will indeed debut a modified Win9 core. It will use a Zune HD-like hardware platform—a “main” processor with multiple dedicated assistive cores for graphics, AI, physics, sound, networking, encryption and sensors. It will be custom designed by Microsoft and two partners based on the ARM architecture. It will be cheaper than the 360, further enabling Kinect adoption. And it will be far smaller than the 360. It will also demonstrate how Windows Phone could possible implement Win9’s dev platform on the lower end.

http://msnerd.tumblr.com/post/12233928364/clarity

Eh, what? The wii U still uses the wiimore and nunchuckbut they are offering the touch screen controller for normal games. Apparently they are working on making 2 touchscreen controllers possible with it but that is a rumor at this point.

Exactly! Maybe a step backward was the wrong phrase. How about a baby step forward :)

It's just the Wii with a touchscreen controller while Kinect actually gets you to use your whole body. With the Kinect there are all kinds of things being done with it and not just with games although that is the reason I like it.

Here are some things being done with the Kinect:The Best Mods and Hacks One Month In.

That's just a month after it was released. Here are some now (you know they had to do the boob thing) 10 Best Kinect Hacks. I know I've seen some other hacks as well that will actually be available for download, but can't seem to recall where I saw them.

This is the Wii U

Too much innovation maybe scared them ;)

Last edited:
Actually looking at the Wii U video, it seems like a leap in user interface as i see it. Kinect is still at its infancy, it is going to improve but it isnt going help gaming much, they best they got there that is relative to gaming is the 3d tetris.

In the future i believe that they will use the Wiimote and Kinect together.

Now that is what I would have liked to have seen. A combination of Kinect and Wiimote. Hell, just a nunchuck with a analog stick would help the devs make more games for the Kinect. They can't seem to figure out how to make someone go forward. There is a horror game that has some decent reviews and you do move around, but from what I read it can be a little complicated.

Maybe I just prefer the fact that I use my whole body and the few games I do have for the Kinect have been really fun. I'm hoping to see more once the devs figure out a way to use it. That or make a peripheral for the dang thing to let me move my character around. The devs could probably work with that and create something great.

The problem comes from copyrights. Even if Nintendo wanted to could they get away with making a Kinect clone and adding it to their system? Same with MS? See the great length that Sony went to to try and make their motion controller dissimmilar to the wiimote?

Go read Yahtzee's review of it at The Escapist and also his further thoughts in his Extra Punctuation column. Is it not only imprecise but misused by the games that support it.

Which of course is also a problem with many Wii games.

Ps3 move is currently the most precice motion control. I can easily i.e make headshots in fps games using it. They have fully implemented it into several mainstream AAA games like resident evil or dead space.

The gladiator fight with two move controls in sports champions is amazing. You can use one controller for shield and other for sword and it works perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom